[C17] Magus of the Mind

• alt text

Okay.

Have we finally crossed the line into a Magus with an activated ability that is good enough to Oath into?

• @maximumcdawg Six mana cost allows it to work with Dragon Breath but it still has to survive to the main phase unless you're going to storm out with only instants.

Edit: Also worth noting is that having multiples in your deck doesn't lead to the same interaction which lead to the restriction of Mind's Desire in the first place except in cases where you already have the Dragon Breath to begin with.

• TMD Supporter

Seems like a lot of time to get Revoked/removed.

• @bazaarofbaghdad Correct sir.

• Hmm, seems more like a fit for a Legacy Shallow Grave reanimator deck

• The only reason it was interesting to me at all is that low, low, activated ability cost. 1 mana is hardly a premium to pay for this effect. If he's cheated out, having a 1 mana Mind's Desire on tap is a pretty powerful thing.

Now, the lack of Haste is problematic for sure. I recognize that with expensive creatures like this the real issue is the opportunity cost. But, this comes closer to its Restricted namesake than did Magus of the Will or Wheel, that's for sure.

• Administrators

If we're talking explicitly about Oath, we have to compare this to Emrakul's equally slow "activated ability" of attacking for 15 with Annihilator 6 ... I think this is much worse, and I'm honestly not a fan of Emrakul in Oath to begin with. Even with haste, I'm not sure I'd rather have this than Griselbrand, and this most definitely does not have haste. I think if you're looking at this card it needs to be in a deck that can cast it ... and even then you're talking a real uphill battle.

• @maximumcdawg Yeah... I feel like the comparison here is just Griselbrand. The only advantage this guy seems to have is that he's blue and pitches to Force. He's easier to cast too, I guess... but not easy to cast.

And Gris just wins the game a huge portion of the time when on the table. This just doesn't at all do that. Even if you topdeck it and it's castable, and it survives for a turn, it still doesn't do a whole lot if your hand is depleted.

• @brass-man said in [C17] Magus of the Mind:

If we're talking explicitly about Oath, we have to compare this to Emrakul's equally slow "activated ability" of attacking for 15 with Annihilator 6 ... I think this is much worse, and I'm honestly not a fan of Emrakul in Oath to begin with. Even with haste, I'm not sure I'd rather have this than Griselbrand, and this most definitely does not have haste. I think if you're looking at this card it needs to be in a deck that can cast it ... and even then you're talking a real uphill battle.

Does a Golden Gun shell change this? Like Emrakul, this can get shwifty with Dragon's Breath.

• Administrators

@maximumcdawg possibly? but then you still have the problem that you'd probably rather have an Emrakul?

Realistically you would need ... unsure ... 4 spells? 6 spells? to make this good? I find a lot of times with Oath I've expended a lot of resources just getting the Oath in play, and I don't have a hand on the turn that Oath activates. I think a lot of Oath players like to load up on cards like counters and removal which make sure Oath resolves (and deal with hate cards) but can't be fired off readily to generate storm. But honestly I'm not much of an Oath pilot.

There are more combo-oriented Oath lists, too ... I probably have more experience playing strange Ritual-Oath hybrids than playing traditional Oath decks. Those sorts of decks could more easily generate storm count ... but I'd be hard pressed to imagine the time I would want this over a Griselbrand in one of those lists (and also, honestly, the combo lists don't have as objectively good a track record as the control builds, even if I personally like them)

• @maximumcdawg I really don't think it does... because, again, you still need to be able to play a bunch of spells on the turn you Oath... Oath is a deck where you want to maximize your chance of having everything line up. This does the opposite of that. It makes you have to Oath, hit this, hit Dragon's breath, and have a lot of playable spells in hand.

To beat Golden Gun Mind Magus Oath, all you have to do is lose a big counter war over the Oath, then at worst they will Oath into a 4/5 with an ability that does just about nothing, since they don't have any cards left in hand. Now just play Mentor and march over their face.

• I was really rooting for Mind Over Matter when I saw the thread title. At least it's not a Naga Cleric this time.

• I would be looking to fast mana out a sneak attack, through the breach or goryo's vengeance to activate this guy immediately.

• @wiley Yeah seems like a natural fit with Shallow Grave.

• welp, another Commander set down and no useful cards to combat spheres. Ugh.

• personally im gonna try it out just for the fun of it, three to four copies plus dragon breath might work, competitive, probably not, fun, hopefully.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.