[C17] Kess, Dissident Mage

• Just released on mtgo, I think it might be bugged since it was letting me play a spell from gy on opponent's turn, which, unless I'm reading the card wrong, shouldn't be doable? She seemed really nice in the games I got to cast her, though (grixis thieves shell).

• Administrators

So excited that the card is on MTGO! ... That bug definitely makes the card way better, but I guess the ethical thing to do is just not play spells on your opponent's turn :)

I played a Kess-based deck at EW. My main-event performance was weak but the deck felt great and I'm excited to play it online.

• I also don't believe you can use alternate casting costs while it's in the graveyard - wasn't able to gush without paying 5 or pay FoW's alternate cost instead of mana, regardless of which turn it was. However, when I selected the option to pay alternate costs, it had me pay the mana AND exile a blue card/lose life.

• Administrators

@thermia Ouch, that one is going to hurt, using alt costs was something I built all of my Kess lists around.

• I don't play MTGO but i hope for you guys it gets fixed very soon.

@Brass-Man What was your list at EW (or general composition)? I played Kess as well (4c control/value).

Kess was great every single game i resolved her. In the span of the entire weekend i got to do everything you want, especially Time Walk Time Walk, or Demonic Tutor Time Walk and then next turn do the same thing.

The instant value you get on the free draw spells like Gush and Probe make casting her on curve occasionally much more valuable, but just having a Force or Mental Misstep in the yard also lets you safely cast her on curve as well. I was scared she was always going to be a '5 mana' card but casting her on turn 3/4 with no mana up was usually not problematic.

• Damn, thats pretty awesome to read that this card sees some play. I didn't really expect it to be Vintage playable to be honest.

• Administrators

@sovarius said in [C17] Kess, Dissident Mage:

@Brass-Man What was your list at EW (or general composition)? I played Kess as well (4c control/value).

I think I might paste the full list and a sideboard guide later sometime, but the gist of it was a Mentor deck that's Grixis instead of Jeskai. Cantrips, Pyromancers, Counters, Removal. I loved playing the list and I look forward to Kess being fixed online.

but just having a Force or Mental Misstep in the yard also lets you safely cast her on curve as well.

I'm not sure I follow this bit. You can't use Kess on your oppoent's turn, so if you tap out with a have a Force/Misstep in your yard, your opponent can safely wait until their own turn to play removal or something threatening.

• @thermia said in [C17] Kess, Dissident Mage:

I also don't believe you can use alternate casting costs while it's in the graveyard - wasn't able to gush without paying 5 or pay FoW's alternate cost instead of mana, regardless of which turn it was. However, when I selected the option to pay alternate costs, it had me pay the mana AND exile a blue card/lose life.

Unless text forbids it, there is no reason you can't use alternate casting costs. I'd say this is more than likely a bug in mtgo.

• @khahan Yeah thats what I was insinuating - the card is severely bugged in multiple ways at the moment. You CAN cast cards during an opponent's turn (and use phyrexian mana for it, so every misstep etc. in the yard is live, but you CANNOT cast spells for their alternate costs and if you try to (when you right click to cast you can choose to pay mana or alternate costs), it will have you pay BOTH the alternate cost and the mana cost.

• @brass-man said in [C17] Kess, Dissident Mage:

I'm not sure I follow this bit. You can't use Kess on your oppoent's turn, so if you tap out with a have a Force/Misstep in your yard, your opponent can safely wait until their own turn to play removal or something threatening.

This is true, it's not strictly 'safe', i should say 'more safe'.

Making them wait is a decent tempo play and even if you have 5 to leave one for Fluster, having a free counter in the yard when you anticipate removal is fine. It is not as great as envision in practice i bet.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.