[C17] Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist

• @boggyb

These are the products where they tend to sneak in a card or two specifically designed for Eternal. IE Containment Priest, Flusterstorm, Dack Fayden, Leovold. It looks to me like they tried to make this card relevant to the token strategies in Eternal without actually coming close to addressing the problem.

Outside of that failed objective though, it is a cool card.

• @boggyb said in [C17] Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist:

@brianpk80 There's no way they had Vintage at all in mind when designing this card. It's designed to either be a commander, or to slot nicely into the GW Cat beatdown archetype they're bolstering. The new cat avatar bro is very strong; this is to go with that.

Why can't they be doing both? The cat creature type and colors match the cat archetype. The ability to lock down masses of tokens deals with vintage.

• So I did some more testing in a UWG mentor list. I had 1 worldly tutor, 1 green sun's zenith and the usual cantrips and such to find 1 copy of Mirri. I played about a dozen games with a friend on the standard UWR mentor list. In the games where it resolved, which was maybe 5 of those games, I could protect it sufficiently about half the time playing 4 force, 4 misstep, 1 misdirection, 1 flusterstorm. Of those 3 games where it resolved, and lived long enough to untap, it basically completely shut down my opponent's mentors and allowed me to run away with the game very easily. But because it was so unreliable at doing so I don't think it will be good enough.

• Administrators

@l0cke17 excellent post, this is exactly what I want in a SCD thread. Thanks for putting in the work to test and share your results!

I have to admit I dismissed the card entirely at first glance, but this thread has made me curious, at least.

• @l0cke17 that's pretty cool to hear - that's was close to my analysis of it, though i also thought that it's first strike would keep it effective against a fair amount of shops builds too

• @l0cke17
    If they let you free up a sideboard spot that otherwise needed to fight dredge would it be worth having? This completely shuts down attacks from zombies, ichorids, prized amalgams and bloodghasts. A reanimated elesh norn is still a problem, but kolegan is significantly weakened by this as well.

• @walking-dude That is an angle I had completely ignored. Possibly? The big question in my mind is is it worth losing dack and pyroblast/reb to play it, or do you make your manabase worse vs shops to play it in addition to?

• Administrators

@l0cke17 Note that it doesn' have the defensive ability unless it's tapped. I suspect playing this on turn 3 and attacking on turn 4 is going to be too slow to count as dedicated dredge hate. I would want this postboard against dredge for sure, but I wouldn't want only this

• @brass-man Yeah, thats why I was worried about it. Perhaps it has a place in a not-red list with deathrites and a full complement of moxen+mentors to maximize your chances of playing a powerful 3 drop on turn 2?

• Administrators

@l0cke17 It definitely fits naturally in any deck that's running Noble Hierarch (acceleration and exalted both match up nicely), but those decks aren't exactly super popular/successful right now.

Amusingly I have a G/W list with a full complement of Moxes I've been wanting to test for a few weeks now and this might fit right in. Funny how that works!

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.