[XLN] Unclaimed Territory

• TMD Supporter

Hello there!  I'm a terrible Cavern of Souls!

Unclaimed Territory
    Land - Promo (Rumored as Uncommon)
    As Unclaimed Territory enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
    T: Add C to your mana cool.
    T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.

This is a Cavern of Souls without the uncounterability clause. This is an Ancient Ziggurat that lets you use C for anything in exchange for limiting your creature types. It is absolutely correct, as many users would have said (and still say, not reading my write-up), that you play 4 Cavern of Souls first. However, I don't see this card as a replacement for Cavern of Souls, but extra copies for decks that want them. In fact, I've been playing this deck for quite some time, and Unclaimed Territory is a strict upgrade from Yavimaya Coast. So where do I see this card being used?

• 2+ color Eldrazi decks that are looking to cast Eldrazi of multiple colors, possibly enabling decks alongside Cavern of Souls and Corrupted Crossroads, but definitely as a replacement for the latter.
    • 2 color Eldrazi decks that have been using painlands strictly for colored Eldrazi and just want some life loss back.
    • 5 color Humans decks that have been struggling using Ancient Ziggurat and/or Gemstone Mine but either want a land that can cast Moxen through Spheres (Ancient Ziggurat can't) or a land with more permanence (Gemstone Mine is gone after three uses).
    • MAYBE in White Eldrazi as a singleton, seeing as their mana base might enjoy another land that can cast both Thought-Knot Seer and Containment Priest. Perhaps we'll see Andy's White/r Eldrazi reappear with Unclaimed Territory over Plateau.

So yeah, as a self-described Fish Idiotâ„¢, I'm pretty excited about this card.

• This probably still played in mono white eldrazi, because of the colorless. I can't imagine many scenarios where that matters, but I'm sure There is obe.

• TMD Supporter

More options are good.

• Administrators

Slivers!

While I'm mostly off the W/xEldrazi train now, I don't think I'd run this over a Battlefield Forge/Plateau. I like the ability to cast noncreature White/x spells in an Eldrazi deck, and finding colorless sources has never been a serious issue for me (finding the right quantity mana at the right times has been a lot more frustrating). I'm not sure I was even on 4 Cavern before.

If there was a creature that made me want to run a third color, this gets a lot more interesting. Since I've never even considered a 3rd color before, it's possible this creature exists already as I've never looked for it.

• play cavern of souls.

• Administrators

@saya people are pretty much just talking about this as an addition in decks already running 4 caverns

• TMD Supporter

Yeah 3 color eldrazi is interesting, i just don't know what the third color you want is? It is probably either for a human or an Eldrazzo, Worldbreaker is an alright candidate? Other than that I am not super drawn toward anything, but I haven't searched as exhaustively as I would need to rule out the card.

• @garbageaggro Elder Deep-Fiend would be a 1UU (TKS) or UU (Smasher) flash creature that pseudo-protects a creature and taps down the opponent's board, but not sure the effect would be worth potentially having an uncastable 8-drop in hand.

• Administrators

I had a conversation offsite with @garbageaggro about which humans and eldrazi might be a good fit for a Caverns/Territory deck. There are a few options but I'm pretty interested in World Breaker, super pricey but very intriguing as a late game play

• A tribal deck with some Gemstone Mines and eight City of Brass won a tournament last year, so this is definitely a real card.

• Yeah, tapping for colorless is a huge improvement over Ziggurat.

• This lets me run Eldrazi in my Merfolk list. Displacer gonna be blinking Silvergils all day long. Fear the fish.

• TMD Supporter

@brass-man said in [XLN] Unclaimed Territory:

I had a conversation offsite with @garbageaggro about which humans and eldrazi might be a good fit for a Caverns/Territory deck. There are a few options but I'm pretty interested in World Breaker, super pricey but very intriguing as a late game play

My teammate got 2nd at a 99 person event last year with this list featuring a World Breaker in the main. Corrupted Crossroads is easily updated to be Unclaimed Territory. The card acts like a cheaper Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, the catch-all in the sideboard of Jason Jaco's initial builds. Funny enough, this top 8 also features a good example of 5C Humans with 4 Gemstone Mine that could potentially use Uncharted Territory in its place.

• TMD Supporter

@necrogeist I think the problem is you would be cutting a colored source for this card as it stands so anything with 2 colored mana pips in it is not exciting to me since those tend to be very hard to cast. See sanctum prelate.

• TMD Supporter

If you want to subscribe to the spice channel, a card that I keep thinking might work in Eldrazi, for those games where you get down to top decks is: Tireless Tracker . Makes drawing lands ok. Reasonable sized threat (especially after cracking a clue or two), plays well with crucible/ramunap if you are going that grindier route.

• TMD Supporter

@garbageaggro If you're talking Powerless Eldrazi, the draw of that deck for me is the set of Null Rod, which doesn't play too nice with Clue tokens. You're absolutely right about Tireless Tracker otherwise, since it sees play in Modern Collected Company and Legacy Lands decks for that very reason.

• TMD Supporter

Yeah i was talking about a variant of powered (white-red) eldrazi that already had been seeing play with the new land helping cast green cards.

• @serracollector said in [XLN] Unclaimed Territory:

This lets me run Eldrazi in my Merfolk list. Displacer gonna be blinking Silvergils all day long. Fear the fish.

This is a really good point. Having 8 tribal + colorless lands enables splashing Eldrazi in other tribes very easily. Probably more relevant for Modern than Vintage, but nonetheless

• TMD Supporter

Non-Promo

The non-promo version has officially been added to WotC's website.

• TMD Supporter

I think this card is really interesting, but can i also point out, damn that is some gorgeous art!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.