Vintage Leagues come to MTGO!

• TMD Supporter

@loukayza said in Vintage Leagues come to MTGO!:

For anyone curious, here are the 5-0 decks from Day 1 of the leaguess. I believe this is just a sample and not all 5-0 decks but I may be incorrect:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-vintage-constructed-league-2017-08-31

I don't see why they wouldn't include an example of a newly unrestricted card in their very first sampling when one exists. It certainly beats showcasing two versions of Oath of Druids.

• TMD Supporter

I am almost entirely ignorant of the ways of MTGO outside of Vintage play, trading, etc., so I had no idea how freaking awesome the leagues are.

I didn't even understand or know how they worked until I started reading the instructions yesterday, and then didn't even fully understand until I entered into it.

WOW

I think it's better than the Vintage Challenges, which I'll probably never play in again because of the leagues. The advantages are enormous:

1. you don't have to wait for a round to end and other players to finish matches. Once you've finished a match, you just jump into the next round at your convenience.

2. you can play entirely on your own schedule as opposed to a pre-set time (so you don't have to waste an entire Saturday playing in the Challenge)

3. you can spread the event over any discrete bits of time. E.g.An hour Thursday, two hours Friday, and an hour Sunday.

4. And the prizes are decent, and can turn useless play points into treasure chests which are easily sold for Tickets, which can also be sold for cash.

This Vintage League is just amazing. I played in two events last night, and never had to wait more than 4 minutes for an opponent, despite playing late pacific time.

• @smmenen yeah leagues are just the best. If I am ever around for a challenge I'll play it since the prize support is by far the best but nothing can touch the blessing of leagues. I can't tell you how many dailies I missed because I logged in 0-5 minutes late.

• They randomly select a deck, then randomly select another deck that is at least 10 cards different from the first deck, then randomly select another deck that is at least 10 cards different from the first two, and keep going until they reach 5 decklists or run out of decklists that meet the diversity criteria.

Point is, yes it's a sample @Loukayza but there is no human agency in what gets picked @hierarchnoble.

And, yes, I hate this system.

• After two disasterous leagues I finally went back to my namesake Leovold BUG and low and beyond 5-0.

• @chubbyrain Claiming any knowledge of how MTGO really works is dangerous. Odds are just as likely they gave up trying to code that and make an intern find the decks.

• Played my first league game last night with storm outcome bargain. Great fun to be able to pay just one match. Insane games first game op "turn 1"s off time walk then takes all the turns.

Game 2 results in crazy top deck war. I tendrils with storm count 9 on turn 1 and one copy gets forced, leaving op unable to crack a fetch and with no other mana sources (tolarian in play but no artifacts). I meanwhile have robot as my only win condition having exiled tendrils... I've no timewalk and having seen Dack game 1 terrified of having robot stolen. Eventually find a safe line.

Game 3 op tinkered turn 2.... For trinisphere...I was not expecting that. Needless to say I can't combo off before Tezz ultimate seals the deal.

• Fired up my first league last night with a quite out of date big
    blue deck. Immediately played against the same person twice :/

I was reminded why I don't like MTGO. Gonna try to change up my set up to something more conducive to playing ~40 minute matches

• @thecravenone that sucks. Into my fourth league I have yet to play the same person twice let alone back to back.

• Has anyone else experienced the Time Spiral bug yet? I got to enjoy that one last night.

• Second day's results are out

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-vintage-constructed-league-2017-09-01

1 outcome mentor (no storm or bot)
    1 solo mentor (with more blue dudes like snap and clique)
    1 oath
    1 eldrazi shop
    1 ravanger shop

• @walking-dude said in Vintage Leagues come to MTGO!:

Second day's results are out

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-vintage-constructed-league-2017-09-01

1 outcome mentor (no storm or bot)
    1 solo mentor (with more blue dudes like snap and clique)
    1 oath
    1 eldrazi shop
    1 ravanger shop

Love these posts, thanks! I feel we should have a separate thread for them, though, with just links and stats. Or some other method for keeping the results all together without 15 posts of commentary in between each. Is there a way to do this with tagging?

• The league has been a blast so far. My only gripe is that it is possible to play against the same opponent within the same league instance, which kinda sucks.

• @the-atog-lord What is the time spiral bug? I'm assuming this is not the card time spiral, but something else?

• @the-atog-lord said in Vintage Leagues come to MTGO!:

Has anyone else experienced the Time Spiral bug yet? I got to enjoy that one last night.

No. But I did get to experience the Undiscovered Paradise bug yesterday.

• TMD Supporter

I'm taking this week off from writing. The lack of sleep I was experiencing caused me to nearly fall asleep standing up the other day while I was at work. I ended up having to leave and go home to nap. I'm still TRYING to carve out enough time to get my one deck worthy of burning my last 120 play points on a league, but when I do I will join. I wish I hadn't sold off all my cards when I did. :/

• So the prices on power is collapsing. Do you all think that people are giving up on leagues or are people giving up on MTGO after the Magic the Gathering Arena news?

• @kingleovold I think people speculated on Power and are reselling it after leagues drove up the price.

I don't think people are giving up on MTGO as Legacy cards like Exploration (92 tix) and Mox Diamond (56 tix) are continuing to rise. Standard prices are going down but rotation is coming up. Modern prices are down but generally due to reprints promising more supply of very expensive cards like Grove of the Burnwillows and Horizon Canopy.

I don't think players are giving up on Vintage leagues as there 160 players currently in the league. It's true that not all those players could be active in the league, but if they are registered that means the cards in their decks are not tradeable so they can't be selling out of the format.

• TMD Supporter

@kingleovold said in Vintage Leagues come to MTGO!:

So the prices on power is collapsing. Do you all think that people are giving up on leagues or are people giving up on MTGO after the Magic the Gathering Arena news?

The r/mtgfinance dudes were sitting on a lot of inventory to unload once the league announcement went live, which flooded the market after the initial spike.

• @kingleovold

MTG Arena will only affect Standard and Draft. All the eternal formats are being kept on MTGO for the time being as they apparently don't want to deal with the headache of switching over yet.

I'm sure if Arena is a success, MTGO will be phased out and all cards will be ported to Arena. This could really only be a good thing in the long run.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.