No more planeswalker uniqueness rule as of Ixalan

• TMD Supporter

Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary creatures will now be true about legendary planeswalkers.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics

So you could have a Jace, The Mind Sculptor, and a Jace, Telepath Unbound in play at the same time. This seems legitimately Vintage-changing to me.

• Old rule: No one gets a Jace!™

New rule: Everyone get a Jace!™

New New-Rule: Everyone get's all the Jaces!™

• Very strange rules update, but it certainly helps out decks that want to cram baby Jace and big daddy Jace ...

• Administrators

This has absolutely been a rule that has affected my games in the past .. interesting!

• TMD Supporter

This really powers up the Tribal Gideon deck that emerged in Modern after the printing of Gideon of the Trials.

• I'm not one to get real deep into the "Vorthos" of "fluff" of the game but I think this is really stupid from that aspect.

I already thought it was dumb that you could have two different Thalias on the board, even though they're the same person. This just goes even further.

Old rule: There is only one dude named Jace
    Current rule: Only one dude named Jace can work for you
    New rule: You know that guy Jace, one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse? Yea, you can have half a dozen of them helping you out all at the same time.

• @thecravenone yeah it sucks vorthos wise. However, gameplay wise it makes the most sense. It is stupid that planeswalkers acted differently than creatures. Even worse was the really old way where planeswalkers became removal spells to kill an opposing planeswalker. Once they got rid of that it was just a matter of time until today's ruling.

• TMD Supporter

I think they should move world enchanments so that you only can have one in play per player, to line that up closer with the legend rule.

• @thecravenone Yeah, this is unfortunate, but getting rid of a weird rules quirk is likely worth it in the long run. I would have preferred to have legendary creatures function like planeswalkers, but this would require some goofy rules nonsense, since you can't just make every legendary creature its own creature subtype without massive implications for subtype-changing effects, and several legendary creatures are the same person but don't share elements of their name (like Crovax / Ascendant Evincar).

• I thought when travelling through time and space you aren't supposed to meet your corresponding doppelgangers. Isn't that like rule 1?

• @thecravenone in a game where Birds can hold swords, where a Naga is not a snake, where you can have a vehicle drive another vehicle, or one of many other nonsensical situations, this one doesn't bother me all that much...

• @hierarchnoble I'm gonna have to find a decklist for that, it just seems funny

• TMD Supporter

@boxian said in No more planeswalker uniqueness rule as of Ixalan:

@hierarchnoble I'm gonna have to find a decklist for that, it just seems funny

Oops, All Gideons!

• I'm actually more excited for this than the B&R announcement...

• I've never felt the need to play JVP and JTMS in the same deck. I couldn't imagine two more differently positioned cards.

Regardless, good change. Reminds me of removing mana burn.

• @ribby said in No more planeswalker uniqueness rule as of Ixalan:

I've never felt the need to play JVP and JTMS in the same deck. I couldn't imagine two more differently positioned cards.

I think it'll be a big deal in Legacy, especially Legacy's equivalent of Big Blue. I'm currently playing a deck that starts with 3 JtMS and 4 Snapcaster. That will easily turn into some balance of JtMS, JVP, and Snapcasters

• I don't like how they are making planeswalkers interact more like legendary creatures. That was the point of planeswalkers. These mythic beings that are immortal and can travel the planes. Summoned to assist you like no creature could.
    Unless they're going into some "timespiral"
    Like setting with alternative version of Planeswalkers etc, etc. sigh
    I shouldn't be surprised by this change.
    They should've kept Planeswalkers at the "highlander" rule.
    C'est la vie.

• @Ten-Ten

How many legendary creatures have doppelgangers from the future?

Thalia. Gisela. Bruna. Sigarda. Avacyn. Each of the Dragonlords. Each of the Legendary Eldrazi. Mikaeus. Pia Nalaar (well, kinda). Sidisi. Akroma. Borborygmos and other Ravnica guild leaders. Crovax, Braids, and other time-shifted legends. Drana. Glissa. Gisa (same as Pia). Geralf (same as Gisa). Kalitas. Linvala. Olivia. Omnath. Rakdos. Anafenza. Daxos. Ertai. Grenzo. Kamahl. Mirri. Ob Nixilis (two creature versions). Odric. Rhys the Exiled. Selvala. Surrak. Sygg. Wort. I'm sure I missed a few.

It doesn't make sense that these creatures are accepting of the occasional time-travel paradox, but as you put it "mythic beings that are immortal and can travel the planes" are suddenly like "this is too weird...either future me goes or I go". Just my flavor 2 cents...

• Not vintage relevant, but I saw a tweet from Sheldon Menery that as of now, there are no plans to allow all plainswalkers to be your EDH general :( I was very much hoping to build a Nicol Bolas God Pharaoh EDH deck.

• TMD Supporter

@p3temangus said in No more planeswalker uniqueness rule as of Ixalan:

Not vintage relevant, but I saw a tweet from Sheldon Menery that as of now, there are no plans to allow all plainswalkers to be your EDH general :( I was very much hoping to build a Nicol Bolas God Pharaoh EDH deck.

Wait really?
    Doesn't that mean that he is adding new rules to what it takes to be a general? Ugh every time I hear someone suggest a player run vintage, I think of EDH and run away screaming.

I am stupid. I still don't like how EDH is run.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.