Yawgmoth's Storm

• I think that Show and Tell is an easy way to actually get Bargain in play with little card/ mana investment. My only concern is, if it's your only/ main draw engine, playing against shops with Revoker and possibly Sorcerous Spyglass once Ixalan comes out. At that point playing a secondary draw engine like Necropotence or Griselbrand is something to look into, but may require you to play Dark Ritual. Chrome Mox becomes somewhat playable as well since you can use it to pitch extra Bargains or Show and Tells for mana. Even playing Paradoxical Outcome is fine as a secondary means to draw cards since you'll likely want to max out whatever artifact mana you play. I think I would start with something like this...

Black Lotus
    Chrome Mox
    Grim Monolith
    Lotus Petal
    Mana Vault
    Mana Crypt
    Mox Jet
    Mox Sapphire
    Mox Emerald
    Mox Pearl
    Mox Ruby
    4 Mox Opal
    Sol Ring
    Sensei's Divining Top

Ancestral Recall
    Time Walk
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Gitaxian Probe
    4 Paradoxical Outcome
    4 Force of Will
    3 Mental Misstep
    Flusterstorm
    Hurkyl's Recall
    Chain of Vapor
    Mystical Tutor
    4 Show and Tell

Demonic Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    3 Yawgmoth's Bargain
    Yawgmoth's Will
    Tendrils of Agony
    Griselbrand

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    Tolarian Academy
    2 Island

• TMD Supporter

@smnowako said in Yawgmoth's Storm:

@desolutionist Why is preordain bad here? Isn't there something to be said for setting up your draws, especially in a deck that runs a mix of a lot of mana, defense, and pay off spells? Would you play Ponder as a 4 of if it were legal? Prior to the Ponder ban, there were UB non gush storm decks running the full set of Ponders.

I don't play Preordain or Ponder. Just use the mulligan to set up your hand. There are a lot of 5 card hands that are better than a 7 w/ Ponder. Turn 1 Ponder just isn't impressive and doesn't do enough against any deck. Dredge? Shops? Combo? Outcome? I don't want turn 1 Ponder against any of those.

• Hey, sorry I'm a little late to the discussion, but couldn't you do something kinda similar to Necrospike? You except instead of 4 Necropotence, run 4 Yawgmoth's Bargain? That way you could run thoughtseize, unmask, pay a bunch of life to the bargain, remove excess bargains and unnecessary discard to gain life for free by casting soulspike, then finishing by storm off with rituals fast Mana and Tendrils? For instance you hit a turn 1 or two bargain bay 16-17 life, you fire off two soulspikes, pay more life to bargain make 4 Mana with rituals and such and only have to have like storm 5 or six with tendtils? Just a thought, sorry if you guys think I'm an idiot lol.

• TMD Supporter

Soul spike is an interesting card. I think you can make a similar argument in favor of running multiple tendrils to my mind. I think a bargain deck with mini tendrils available probably up its win % at least a bit, since you aren't as worried about casting it just to draw more cards when you need to at like 6 storm.

• I would try a single soulspike before adding an additional tendrils, due to the fact it's no mana spent and can delete a troublesome critter. Nice.

• How many times in your build with 4 Shows is Bargain better than Griselbrand? Especially game 1? In which matchups? When a sphere player puts revoker in and stones Bargain you still have a 7/7 Demon. If you've been aggroed down to a low life title they both suffer. Certainly below 8 is an important number.

Edit: Have you weighed the benefit of having 2-3 griselbrands as it relates to being able to side Oath of Druids?

• Well the necro spike list was something like
    Some lands
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Demonic consultation
    4 Necropotence
    4 soulspike
    4 Force
    4 daze
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 tendrils
    4 unmask
    I don't remember if this is exactly the list, but the point of the deck was to find and play necro asap pay a bunch more life than you needed, then use soulspike to done them for 4 to 8 dmg then you just keep a hand that can storm out for the rest protected wother force/daze/unmask. Bargain costs 6 but we can run lotus and other moxen, maybe ancient tomb city of traitors or something? Try and do something similar to what the old necrospike lists were doing. Again just a thought.

• Hi guys, I'm italian vintage player and next weekend I'll partecipate to Ovinotournaments event: 4 days of mtg eternal formats in Milan. My intention is to play a Storm Deck TPS-based spicy with a several list of bombs, in this case the good news from Wotc about Yawgmoth's Bargain encourage me to build a competitive deck counting on these. During last week I've complete an hard serial of testing against aggro-control deck (like Solution 5-color, very aggressive and disruptive) and other Storm deck like Paradoxical. The results were very impressive: won several games against the first and simply destroyed the second.

My actual list is this:
    0_1506270978452_Senza titolo-2.jpg

Found it on web repository: https://deckstats.net/decks/54632/808022-yawgmoth-s-long

At first, I'd have played somenthing like Show and Tell + Yawgmoth's Bargain but I didn't like the fact of my enemy can improve in front of my eyes cards like Revoker (MUD) or others creature spells (Leovold, Kambal etc). My decision was to play without FoW but the presence of so many strong cards in the formats push me to reinstate them (Defense Grid in side). I choose a mana base that includes a green mana (Tropical Island) to put in side Abrupt Decay and others helpful tools.
    I hope my list will please you, or maybe you can start from it to enrich the discussion and evolve the real deck of vintage: TPS.
    My best regards, Stefano

• @mranderson quite the interesting List you got there with a bunch of cards and choices that are unusual or haven't seen much play in a while.
    14 lands seems to me as a lot, how often do you fight flooding and is the high blue count in the lands (2 basic islands topical) a problem?
    1 Duress and 3 Thoughtseize does not seem wrong in a world with Leovolds and other creatues which can seriously mess up your game plan, but is the life loss coming with it a problem while relying on Necro and Bargain as your primary draw engines?
    3 Fatal Pushes, 2 of them in the main deck, wow! Thats a ton of creature removal for this archetype, is your meta that creature based?
    Is there any reason why you play Grim Tutor over Dark Petition? In my experience DP is in most cases the slightly better tutor.
    Together with cards like Top, Mystical Tutor, Merchant scroll and 3 Preordains (why no Ponder?) you chose a slower, even slightly controlling, route over a explosive build. Do you think a slower shell is the correct way to play with the Bargain package?

• @Aelien good questions and thank you for the reply. I played many years Storm Deck like Gush Tendrils, TPS (with Bob and less), Long or Doomsday, in Italy our meta is invaded by disruptive deck imprinted to denial. 14 is the right number of lands - in my head, obviously - to stabilize Storm. The great number of MUD push me to play a solid mana base: 2 island and 1 swamp to optimize the effect of fetchlands.
    4 discard effects are the good number: not always we lose life, misstep is present in the meta and the fact that it's played on a Duress or on Thoughtseize is better than seen it on Ancestral Recall. The second discard effect is the best we can improve, specially against MUD or other creatures deck (all decks play a great number of those). This is also the reason why I play 2 Fatal Push in main deck. Hurkyl's doesn't resolve always all problems and I'm so scared from Team Leovold, maybe I can pass to 1 but for the moment I'll stay so.
    DP is a good card but I don't like expensive spell: in this deck we have just 3 YB, Desire and the most control nature of my list doesn't allow to have always an exploding start. Grim Tutor is perfect for me because after threshold, all rituals become istant closing.
    A most controlling shell, with 8 protections, allows us to play against all decks without risking to concede at an earlier date.
    A question, playing my list which cards would you take away and which you suggest?

• @mranderson said in Yawgmoth's Storm:

@Aelien good questions and thank you for the reply. I played many years Storm Deck like Gush Tendrils, TPS (with Bob and less), Long or Doomsday, in Italy our meta is invaded by disruptive deck imprinted to denial. 14 is the right number of lands - in my head, obviously - to stabilize Storm. The great number of MUD push me to play a solid mana base: 2 island and 1 swamp to optimize the effect of fetchlands.
    4 discard effects are the good number: not always we lose life, misstep is present in the meta and the fact that it's played on a Duress or on Thoughtseize is better than seen it on Ancestral Recall. The second discard effect is the best we can improve, specially against MUD or other creatures deck (all decks play a great number of those). This is also the reason why I play 2 Fatal Push in main deck. Hurkyl's doesn't resolve always all problems and I'm so scared from Team Leovold, maybe I can pass to 1 but for the moment I'll stay so.
    DP is a good card but I don't like expensive spell: in this deck we have just 3 YB, Desire and the most control nature of my list doesn't allow to have always an exploding start. Grim Tutor is perfect for me because after threshold, all rituals become istant closing.
    A most controlling shell, with 8 protections, allows us to play against all decks without risking to concede at an earlier date.
    A question, playing my list which cards would you take away and which you suggest?

It's hard to take seriously someone who is advocating grim tutor over dark petition, and playing 2 creature removal slots md. Grim tutor is 2 mana and 6 life more expensive to set up a yawgmoth's will win and a lot worse at setting up necropotence or other bombs. It's also a pretty bad tutor to be using with yawgbargain. Creature removal seems really bad unless 90% of your metagame plays hatebears maindeck and even in that case you would want a boardwipe like massacre/Toxic deluge or a plan b like tinker blightsteel/pack rat.

• Which is it easier to recover from, a countered Dark Petition or a countered Grim Tutor?
    Late game, full Graveyard, six mana on board, no resistance from opponent. Does it matter which you have? DP or Grim tutor?

• I've got a old but good deck to post. It's called Sabre/Exhume Bargain.

The deck looks like this.
    Theres two versions, one that runs Voltaic Keys and Renounce and the other runs Radiant's Dragoons and Exhume.
    // 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    3 Tooth of Ramos
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Voltaic Key/Radiant's Dragoons

// 8 Creature
    4 Academy Rector
    4 Skirge Familiar

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Yawgmoth's Bargain

// 9 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Renounce/Exhume

// 22 Land
    6 Swamp
    4 Phyrexian Tower
    5 Plains
    4 Peat Bog
    3 Remote Farm

// 7 Sorcery
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Imperial Seal
    4 Soul Feast

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 4 Phyrexian Negator

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red

// 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Disenchant

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Massacre
    SB: 4 Duress
    SB: 3 Perish

• @ten-ten What happens when you have exactly 5 mana with grim tutor? You have to go get ancestral where DP gives you necro... What happens when you need to set up a ywill at less than 7 life or when tight on mana? You just concede with with your grim tutor in hand.

It's a fallacy saying that it is easier to recover from a countered grim tutor, because the only way you are going off without casting a ritual before the grim tutor is if you already had BBB available (which means you were very likely to be able to cast petition without ritualling either).

Grim tutor is only an equivalent to DP when your resources don't matter and they will matter more often than not (as evidenced in your scenario "Late game, full Graveyard, six mana on board, no resistance from opponent [and 7 or more life]." you could win with 100s of cards that are basically unplayable in this scenario). Grim tutor is only better when looking at setting up a next turn win or When facing graveyard hate, but it's still not fantastic there either.

The whole point of Dark petition in the deck at the moment is to give you a consistent way to tutor for tendrils after resolving a bomb (which happens to involve bargain/necro a lot more nowadays) or to give you another route to victory (through will or Desire) when your bargain angle of attack is not possible, Grim tutor is lousy in the same role.

• @macdeath I was, in all honesty, asking because I have not piloted storm with Dark petition since it's printing. I've either stuck with Ad Nauseam or Gifts storm decks.
    At a glance grim tutor seems better than DP but i needed answers from someone experienced with the card. Thank you.

• TMD Supporter

I've thought that Grim Tutor has its uses for turn 1 Tutor for Lotus. And obviously if you don't have Spell Mastery then Grim Tutor can be better.

Dark Petition is much better otherwise.

• @desolutionist agreed, basically when dark petition is bad grim tutor tends to be slightly better, but when dark petition is good grim tutor is a lot worse.

@Ten-Ten you should probably give the card a try then, it's a lot better than it may appear. It's more versatile than ad nauseam and able to serve the same function by fetching for necropotence. I like to have at least one petition with gifts since its pretty good in a number of piles and bridges the gap between gifts and will if you already have it hand.
    The only real weakness of the card is that it's pretty bad against cards like Rest in Peace, but even then it's not totally dead (i've won a surprising amount of games by paying 5 mana to tutor for something like pack rat/bounce spell).

Most blue decks are fighting combo with Leovold/Nthief, null rod and pyroblast at the moment. As a result Cabal ritual + Dark petition is pretty strongly positionned right now. It's also great to have YBargain and DPetition in the same deck since they work well together and each one of them is resilient to the hate that targets the other (Petition gets around Card draw hate and pithing needle effects, while bargain gets around gravehate and flusterstorm)

• Hi! Is anyone playing yawgmoth's Storm nowdays? I have not seen a lot (actually i have played with Y Storm just 2 or 3 times while was on Dredge) of Bargains Deck during November, but now i am very intrested in learning and playing this cool deck. How it feels in current meta? Is a large amount of shops a big problem for storm to shine? And how difficult is deck to pilot perfectly?

• @listlik I've been playing off and on since the unrestriction... and it's fine. It's soft to Leovold and Null Rod and anything like those. My opinion is that Paradoxical Storm is faster and more reliable.

• @pugsuperstar said in Yawgmoth's Storm:

@listlik I've been playing off and on since the unrestriction... and it's fine. It's soft to Leovold and Null Rod and anything like those. My opinion is that Paradoxical Storm is faster and more reliable.

More like the other way around, Po is a lot softer to leovold and null rod. Ritual storm is faster, harder to hate on and more consistent at going off. Po is better vs shops due to having fow and more non storm win conditions and Po helps the deck compete on attrition with other blue decks. Rituals are a viable option when Blue decks plan is to fight combo with artifact hate. However the deck's real issue is that it struggles with shops since although shops have less prison elements the faster clock gives you less time to build up your resources to setup for a eot hurkyl's.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.