The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread

• Chromatic Tutor
    1B
    Sorcery
    Search your library for an enchantment spell if you paid W to cast this spell, an instant if you paid U to cast this spell, a sorcery if you paid R to cast this spell, a creature if you spent G to cast this spell, or an artifact if you spent <> to cast this spell. Reveal that card, put it into your hand, and shuffle your library.

Dralnu's Command
    2UB
    Sorcery
    Choose one--Draw a card, target player discards a card, or target player loses 2 life.
    Storm

• {0}
    Soul Mox

-Artifact-

Soul Mox enters the battlefield tapped unless you lose 2 life.

As Soul Mox enters the battlefield choose a card type other than artifact.

Mana produced by Soul Mox can only be spent to cast non-artifact spells of the chosen type.

Tap: add one <> mana or one mana of any color to your mana pool.

• Yawgmoth, Flame of the underworld
    2BBB
    Planeswalker- Yawgmoth
    +1: Exile target non land permanent until the beginning of the next end step, you gain X life where X is the converted mana cost of that permanent.
    -1: Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card
    -2: Draw 2 cards, you loose 2 life.
    -8: You get an emblem with: "instant and sorcery spells you cast have Storm"
    Starting loyalty 4

Boundless Ambitions
    1UBR
    Sorcery
    Shuffle your library. Then exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
    Storm

Aether Dampening Pool
    1XX
    Artifact
    Aether Dampening Pool enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
    Non creature spells cost 1 more to cast for each charge counter on
    Aether Dampening Pool.

Jace's Revelation
    UUU
    Instant
    Draw 3 cards then discard a card. If Jace's Revelation was cast during your main phase, draw 3 cards instead.

Harness the Hurricane
    4UU
    Instant
    You may sacrifice three islands you control rather than pay Harness the Hurricane's mana cost.
    Draw three cards, then add UUU to your mana pool.

• @walking-dude said in The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread:

Otherland

T: add <>
    T: add <><> use this mana only to play spells or abilities with X in their costs

X gon give it to ya

LMAO the Flavor text.

• Essence Hawker
    GB
    Creature - Demon Merchant

Essence Hawker's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
    Whenever Essence Hawker deals damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    {B/G}: Regenerate Essence Hawker.
    Remove two +1/+1 counters from Essence Hawker: Choose one -

• Each creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is Essence Hawker's power
    • Put a +1/+1 counter on up to two target creatures.
    • Draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.

Tsabo's Domain
    Legendary Land
    T: Add <><> to your mana pool.
    Each land with an activated ability that isn't a mana ability doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Multani's Revenge
    1G
    Legendary Enchantment
    Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a charge counter on Multani's Revenge and create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.

Plant creatures you control have trample and get +1/+1 for each charge counter on Multani's Revenge.

Jade Witness
    G
    Creature - Elf Spellshaper
    G, T, Discard a card: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Its controller gains 4 life.
    1/1

• TMD Supporter

In reference to the functional reprint conversation going on in another thread:

Ancestry Remembered - U
    Instant
    If you've cast a spell named Ancestral Recall this game, you can't cast Ancestry Remembered.
    As long as this spell is on the stack, you can't cast spells named Ancestral Recall.
    Draw three cards. Spells named Ancestral Recall can't be cast.
    A deck can have one card named Ancestry Remembered.
    "It still pitches to Force of Will!" - Jace

• I would never play a different deck than ramp if Multanis Revenge were a thing

• @serracollector said in The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread:

I would never play a different deck than ramp if Multanis Revenge were a thing

Same here. It would probably need something to wipe charge counters off of it, but the only thing I can think of that doesn't wreck it is "2: Remove a charge counter from Multani's Revenge. Any player may activate this ability. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

Ultimately I want a vinelasher kudzu with evasion, which if it had trample would probably be playable now. But turning it into a vertical and horizontal growth machine seemed like a neat idea as well.

• @pox22 How would Chromatic Tutor work with e.g Thorn of Amethyst? Super tutor?

• @hardy Yep. Same as Sunburst and Converge, it cares about the colors of mana spent to cast the spell, which includes cost modifiers.

Which allows for an interesting anti-Shop variant...

1R - The Colors Duke
    Instant
    Converge - Destroy X target artifacts, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast <this>.

• @hardy @ChubbyRain

My intent and understanding with the templating I chose is that it can only find one card. The text of "or an artifact" instead of "and/or and artifact" I assume means that that the spell checks which color(s) of mana was spent to cast, and in the case that more than one color was spent, you would choose one of them to search for.

I considered making a modal spell or utilizing 5 instances of kicker, but I thought this was the most elegant and efficient templating.

• TMD Supporter

@pox22 said in The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread:

@hardy @ChubbyRain

My intent and understanding with the templating I chose is that it can only find one card. The text of "or an artifact" instead of "and/or and artifact" I assume means that that the spell checks which color(s) of mana was spent to cast, and in the case that more than one color was spent, you would choose one of them to search for.

I considered making a modal spell or utilizing 5 instances of kicker, but I thought this was the most elegant and efficient templating.

There might not be an elegant template. I wrote out a template that acted like a chain of If-Then statements that went through the colors in WURGC order, stopping at whatever was paid first, but it was a monstrosity not worth posting.

• More gems from my custom cube file:

Gift of the Phoenix
    2R
    Sorcery
    Each player may X cards, where X is equal to 7 minus the number of cards in hand. Gift of the Phoenix deals damage to each player equal to the number of cards they have drawn this turn.

Tolarian Scholar
    UU
    Creature--Human Wizard
    When Tolarian Scholar enters the battlefield, you may search your library for two instant cards and exile them.
    X, T: You may cast an instant exiled by Tolarian Scholar, where X is equal to that instant's converted mana cost.
    1/1
    (Kaho's little brother <3)

Prism Falls
    Land
    T, sacrifice Prism Falls: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
    You may play Prism Falls from your graveyard.

• @pox22 prism falls is my new best friend

• @blindtherapy It was originally designed with Fastbond in mind years ago, but it is pretty darn good in dredge. :)

• Prism Falls is Lotus Cobras swimming pool.

Deeproot Goliath
    Artifact - Golem
    Trample
    8/6
    You may only cast 'this' if you control 3 or more basic lands.

Starcrafter
    U
    Human Sorcerer Apprentice
    1, tap: Create a Mox Crystal token, and put it onto the battlefield tapped. It reads "tap add <> to your mana pool".
    1, tap: Draw a card. Only use this ability if you control 4 or more artifacts.
    1, tap: Untap target artifact that costs 1 or less.
    Flying
    1/2

Epic Pinnacle
    R
    Enchantment
    Whenever a player plays a land, they take 1 damage. If the land was a non-basic land, they instead take 2 damage.

"Mountains have the most beautiful scenery, don't you agree?" - Chandra

Endless Growth
    GGG
    Enchantment
    All basic forests tap for GG.
    All green creatures now tap for GG.
    All green creatures you control in all zones cost G less to cast.
    All green creatures have haste.
    When ever you cast a creature put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.

"Them squirrels getting mighty big" - farmer John, last words.

• Most of the card here are of course incredibly overpowered, but some of the ideas in general are cool with some number changing.
    I am not sure if a card like that would be anything else but a build around, but it might be cute:

"card name"
    UB (Or UR, might have better flavor)
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of each endstep, you draw a card and each opponent discards a card.
    At the beginning of each upkeep, you discard a card and each opponent draws a card.

On the first glance it seems pretty trivial, but it has some depths to it.
    You might think that opponents have it better since they draw their card at the upkeep so they are able to cast non instant spells they might draw. However from the start of the effect you loot, while they rummage, giving you real short time card advantage alternating between +1 and 0 cards, while they alternate between -1 and 0 cards.

• @aelien

Yeah, but still most of these cards wouldn't have any dramatic effect on Vintage, and basically none of them would be worthy of an immediate restriction.

• Tolarian Annex

Legendary Land- island

Tap: Add (X) blue mana to your mana pool where (X) is equal to the number of artifacts your opponents control with converted mana cost 3 or less.

1: Tolarian Annex becomes a 2/2 assembly-worker artifact creature. It's still a land.

Tap: Target assembly-worker gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

• Ruins of the Opal Palace
    Land - Plains
    Ruins of the Opal Palace enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: W
    Pay 2 Life, Sacrifice Ruins of the Opal Palace: Destroy target artifact or enchantment with converted mana cost 4 or less.

Ruins of the Jade Palace
    Land - Forest
    Ruins of the Jade Palace enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: G
    Pay 2 Life, Sacrifice Ruins of the Jade Palace: Destroy target artifact or enchantment, its controller gains 4 life.

Ruins of the Ruby Palace
    Land - Mountain
    Ruins of the Ruby Palace enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: R
    Pay 2 Life, Sacrifice Ruins of the Ruby Palace: Destroy target artifact. Ruins of the Ruby Palace deals 3 damage to that artifact's controller.

Ruins of the Sky Palace
    Land - Island
    Ruins of the Sky Palace enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: U
    Pay 2 Life, Sacrifice Ruins of the Sky Palace: Return target nonland permanent you don't control to its owner's hand. If it's converted mana cost was 2 or less, scry 2.

Ruins of the Obsidian Palace
    Land - Swamp
    Ruins of the Obsidian Palace enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: B
    Pay X Life, Sacrifice Ruins of the Obsidian Palace: Destroy each permanent with converted mana cost X or less unless any player pays X life.

Black one is probably too OP, but after the WGR ones I really waned to make a cycle. Blue one is probably borderline too powerful as well, but that just goes to show how strong free card selection is.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.