The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread

• @wiley I'm pretty sure these are all too powerful, except maybe black. These are uncounterable spells that are fetchable and trigger landfall

• @blindtherapy Yeah, I'd second that these are way too strong. They are like the Odyssey sacrifice lands on cocaine.

• @blindtherapy You think so? I mean the point of them is that while they are fetchable they still cost life and a land drop. Otherwise they are just a crappy nonbasic land.

The effects are ones that would only affect eternal formats (except for blue and black) and they would serve to combat some of the ridiculously undercosted hate pieces and enablers printed over the years (sphere effects, revoker, RiP, pithing needle, chalice of the void, oath of druids, sneak attack, birthing pod, splinter twin etc.)

Plus in all formats these would have an large impact there are already answers to them in stifle, trickbind and teferi's response (and needle), and there are considerable drawbacks to running nonbasic lands.

What would the activation cost need to be in order to make them "fair"?

• City Out of Time
    Land
    Tap, remove the top 5 cards of your library from the game: add one mana of any color or <> to your mana pool.

A five color land that doesn't work in five color control. Decks need to be consistent and redundant to not risk getting shut out by removing a key card.

• Gix Unearthed
    1BB
    Planeswalker
    Loyalty [3]

+1: Tap target artifact, creature or land.
    -3: Add BBB to your mana pool.
    -5: Sacrifice all of your permanents except, Gix Unearthed. Each opponent loses X life and you gain X life where X is twice the number of permanents sacrificed.

Not broken, not amazing, but Gix is awesome

• @wiley even at a cost that includes tapping and paying a mana these would be playable, I hoped for such a card in BFZ. I'm mostly looking at it in terms of dredge, but being unspherable and uncounterable is a scary thing. They suffer the phyrexian mana problem where any deck can play them- imagine shops with these to kill null rod or oath. Basic land types on top of that is just gravy. Stifle, etc are legal but can never be as prominent or always online as force of will/misstep which hit normal spells. Teferis response has no relation to this.

• 2B
    Perspicacious Plundering Pirates
    Sorcery
    Create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.", then if you control twenty or more Treasures, you win the game.

Gravestorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Just a neat idea for a ritual effect in black's current flavor. Makes for interesting trade-offs in strategies. Do you run things (besides fetchlands) that sac themselves to power this? Do you run a bunch of weenie creatures along side wrath effects? Do you run petal and 4 mox opal + yawgwill and try to win with the alt wincon? Do you just store up 5 treasures for a later combo turn?

• yawgwill doesn't really help with gravestorm for obvious reasons.

• @blindtherapy No, but it does allow you to recast a sacrificed petal/lotus and all the legend rule'ed opals to further the mana generation, as well as get another cast of PPP.

• Evil Spirit Guide
    Creature-evil spirit
    Remove evil spirit guide in your hand from the game, pay 2 life: add 2 black Mana to your Mana pool.
    2/2

Sorry but I want a card like this and imo it fits black well. The extra life nets you extra mana, black does it for cards all the time so why not and it would make black more viable in legacy Belcher lol.

• Just had a few ideas for some anti-Shops cards:

UU
    Instant
    Counter target artifact spell. -This- costs U less to cast for each artifact spell an opponent cast this turn.

RRR
    Instant
    Destroy target artifact. -This- costs R less to cast for each artifact an opponent controls.

• @griselbrother
    how are these better than ceremonious rejection or Abrade/by force? Except for the fact your cards would be good in Shop decks.
    Edit: Granted, you didn't say they would be better, my mind immediately just compared cards for the shop match-up.

• @ten-ten said in The Official Fantasy Card Design Thread:

@griselbrother
    how are these better than ceremonious rejection or Abrade/by force? Except for the fact your cards would be good in Shop decks.
    Edit: Granted, you didn't say they would be better, my mind immediately just compared cards for the shop match-up.

Oh I don't know if they would be better, but I think the design is interesting. Being able to counter for free on the draw against Shops if they cast more than one spell is great.

• Hidden Theif
    1UG
    Flash
    Flying
    3/3

If an opponent cast an instant this turn, -this- is free to cast, and gains "Hexproof"

If an opponent cast an artifact his turn, -this- is free to cast and gains "when this enters the battlefield destroy an artifact"

• A dream card of mine:
    Gruul Anti-Mage
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a non-land card from your hand; if you do, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    1, Sacrifice ~ : Destroy target artifact.
    2/2

• Dark lessons
    UBBR
    Instant
    Search your library for 3 cards, put one into your hand, one into your grave yard, shuffle your library and put the last card on top of your library.

• TMD Supporter

@busoftheundead nope.... way too good. Manamorphose, Chromatic Star, GG

1B - Eveningtide
    Sorcery
    Remove all cards in all graveyards from the game.

Would be great to be able to beat Dredge with Burning Wish; at least slow them down a turn or two so you can beat them with something else. I don't think Morningtide is very strong, but I wouldn't complain if it were an option in a better color.

• legendary land
    tropical bazaar
    tap, discard a card; add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool
    tap, discard a card; scry 1

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.