Dredge Sideboarding Tactics

• If I'm facing Storm, I will keep a hand without Bazaar, but with multiple discard spells. My theory is that I'll shred their hand enough to buy myself time to find Bazaar, and do what I came to do. I haven't done it enough to say whether it 'works,' or not. But I wanted to say that I have done it.

• @oestrus I think it does work if you have some follow up pressure in the form of a creature, or something like Loam engine.

• I think @vaughnbros is generally correct about how to board, although I'm sure if you got into specifics he and I would disagree in some cases

I have a bunch of videos of Pitch Dredge up at http://youtube.com/c/ajfirecracker where you can see me discussing and trying out different sideboarding plans (the later videos are generally closer to my current thinking)

I think the biggest thing to be aware of is what "packages" you want in what metagame environments. When the metagame (and especially the particular matchup) is heavy on decks that are fast, but also hateful and controlling (ex: the old Mentor decks with Gush and a reasonable number of anti-Dredge sideboard cards) you probably want access to both the dredge plan as well as other plans (big dude aggro, Marit Lage, etc) post-board. When the metagame can be more cleanly divided into fast decks light on hate (ex: storm) and slower decks which are heavy on hate (Landstill, Grixis Pyro, etc) you can afford to just have the Dredge plan or non-Dredge plans as appropriate for the matchup

• TMD Supporter

I have Hollow One and three Anglers in my sideboard. They're great if you open with them, but I've also lost games where I ALMOST had my opponent dead and they ripped something to win. I don't have Forces in my deck so I have no interaction on the stack. I almost wanted to find a way to fit null rod in my sideboard just for the dreadful combo match up.

• I think combo feels a lot worse than it really is - there are a lot of games where you can't do anything but if you run 8-12 counters there are a lot of games where you deal with one or two things and then kill them

It feels like a 50/50 matchup but examining my records shows a winrate just shy of 70%

• @ajfirecracker Yep. Its an easy MU if you build your deck right. You need Pitch spells (like Force or Unmask) and/or 1 CC destruction spells (like Claim or Chewer).

• TMD Supporter

@vaughnbros I know. I don't have those anymore though.

• One thing I've noticed about trimming dredgers game 2&3 is that I generally like to keep in my golgari thugs. If you happen to cast one you can attack while threatening his deathtrigger to recur your ingot chewers or wispmare. Surprisingly just a 1/1 creature can be very a relevant threat in a game where your opponent keeps a hand of all graveyard hate, that's why Hollow ones and anglers are so popular now.

• TMD Supporter

@dunnydee said in Dredge Sideboarding Tactics:

One thing I've noticed about trimming dredgers game 2&3 is that I generally like to keep in my golgari thugs. If you happen to cast one you can attack while threatening his deathtrigger to recur your ingot chewers or wispmare. Surprisingly just a 1/1 creature can be very a relevant threat in a game where your opponent keeps a hand of all graveyard hate, that's why Hollow ones and anglers are so popular now.

I have lost a shameful amount of games to hardcast Narcomeobas. I think the hard part is for the Dredge player to know when to shift gears.

• Grunch, just giving some thoughts on dredge now that I'm taking a break from the deck

In my opinion the 15 card transformational dark depths plan is outdated. Played that version to a win in a format challenge a while back, but now that many shops lists are on ghost quarter MD + karakas SB it is much less exciting. Have not tested the anti-hate+angler/hollow one package, but on paper it seems awesome vs shops. Your combo matchup is already pretty good if you MD 12x FOW/Misstep/Mindbreak, and the dark depths plan was at its best vs shops anyway. Unfortunately I don't think now is a great time to be playing dredge, as UR delver has been pushed out of the format, and most control decks have some sort of tinker combo package.

As a general rule here is how I have historically sideboarded with my old decklist, even though its outdated I think shows the general principles of siding with transform dredge. Side in everything, cut cards that speed up your clock, cut dead cards, 10 dredgers minimum and that is pushing itt...

One Note: Therapy is horrible vs shops, can't be cast half the time and does nothing when cast. Misstep is horrific vs shops game 1 but fantastic post-sideboard, hits their 4x Grafdigger's Cage and Relic. Never cut it ever ever ever.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/631517#online

+15 Card Transform

Vs Shops

-4 Therapy
    -1 Dragonlord
    -3 Mindbreak
    -1 Probe
    -4 FOW
    -1 Dread Return
    -1 Prized

Vs Combo

-1 Elesh
    -1 Pharoah
    -4 Petrified
    -3 Dread Return
    -1 Dragonlord
    -1 Prized
    -2 Thug
    -1 Probe

+14 no portal (think sometimes I boarded slightly diff, cutting some FOWs leaving in extra dredgers)

--

Imo the immediate future of dredge has us swinging back around to the faster leaner versions of dredge, similar to this version from 2 yrs ago. I would prob cut the leylines from MD unmask, cut some mana perhaps, and modernize the SB with creature package and 4 mindbreak either side or main

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/355740#online

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.