Android Netrunner

• So, I just started a new job, and a co-worker who heard I liked magic started telling me about Android Netrunner, and boy does it seem sweet. It seems like it has all the things I like about Magic, while being maybe a bit cheaper, and having a super cool flavor (Neuromancer, so good!).

Anyhow, since I know I have heard bits about this before, I was wondering if anyone else had played this game? Had tips for noobs, have archetypes they like/reminded them of magic decks and so forth.

I found an article series that was trying to map classic magic theory articles (who's the beatdown, finding the tinker deck, etc) to their equivalent in Netrunner, and found it to be really helpful to my understanding of the game, but also feeding the fire for this game (article series: http://winconditiongames.com/netrunner/standing-on-the-servers-of-giants-introduction/)

• They are releasing the core 2.0 game pretty soon also which gets you a ton of cards and is a pretty good jumping in point for the game. I played it a lot in the 90s and haven't picked up the re-published version.

• Ive been playing since it was first announced. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't give me as much satisfaction as Magic does. Main issue is the lack of a decent OP vs Magic.

• Myself didn't heard about this app yet. Anyways congrats for your new job. Carry on!

• I also didn't try this app yet. Will give a try there asap. :)

• I've only played Netrunner a handful of times, but it's a fascinating, deep, well designed game. The baked-in mind games put MtG bluffing/Jedi mind tricks to shame

Unfortunately I feel like it takes more time and mental bandwidth to really learn the game than I have. Vintage is my one true love and it's hard to make room for anything else!

• I played since the beginning up until the end of flashpoint cycle. It's a great game, but finding players can be difficult. I also grew frustrated with the direction the Organized Play was going, having little in terms of support, and the implementation of a ban/restricted list and functional errata really turned me off. I became used to the power level the game was at, and it seemed to be watered down after the changes.

• I've recently started playing it and love it. I played it a bit in the 90's when it was still a CCG, but the recent release is much better. It's deep, has a lot of strategy and rewards aiming for the highest percentage play - and the best thing: you're never so far behind that you can't come back. So even if you're "clearly losing" there are possibilities to come back and win out of nowhere.

It's a great game but if you want to play competitively it's not that cheap: you kind need to spend 15-30 bucks every month in new releases.

The good think is that buying the core set is enough to take you through every non-competitive scenario you may want to play in.

EDIT: but yeah, what other people said is true. It's hard to find people to play with. They've recently put into existence a Standard format, with rotation and all, so that could make people play it more and come back to it. Seems like a lot of people got bored with the old state of things. Let's hope it works :)

• @garbageaggro About that "classic magic theory articles" part : do we know of a site linking to them ?

• @fsecco said in Android Netrunner:

if you want to play competitively it's not that cheap: you kind need to spend 15-30 bucks every month in new releases.

/me looks at post
    /me looks at vintage
    /me looks at post

hmh.

• Magic's standard: $300 for one deck
    ANR: $300 for ALL DECKS

• @pox22 Well there's also the 0$ version with lots of opponents : https://www.jinteki.net/

• @brass-man said in Android Netrunner:

@fsecco said in Android Netrunner:

if you want to play competitively it's not that cheap: you kind need to spend 15-30 bucks every month in new releases.

/me looks at post
    /me looks at vintage
    /me looks at post

hmh.

Hahaha sure, sure. I'm not comparing. Vintage is FREAKING BEYOND EXPENSIVE. You can't really compare that to anything. Magic overall is quite costly.
    Netrunner costs way less than that, but way more than videogames or a board games, that's the overall comparison. (And where I live data packs cost around 30 bucks each, so it's a bit steeper for me).

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.