[XLN] Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale

• Dowsing Dagger (2)
    Artifact - Equipment
    When Dowsing Dagger enters the battlefield, target opponent creates two 0/2 green Plant creature tokens with defender.
    Equipped creature gets +2/+1.
    Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may transform Dowsing Dagger.
    Equip (2)

//

Lost Vale
    Land
    (T): Add 3 mana of any one color to your mana pool.

alt text

I know this requires a lot of hoops to jump, but it turns into a non-legendary, repeatable Black Lotus (Lotus Vale). For 4 mana when it drops (with a flier out), it can flip and then be used the same turn, so it costs a grand total of 1 colorless for an extra 2 damage to the face and a Lotus Vale.

Is there a way to break this card fast enough? As is, I can't think of a way to make this easy, Auriok Windwalker is the only creature with flying that has "equipment" text, and it taps to equip which misses the point. Clearly this doesn't really fit into many decks unless there's a stoneforge build that makes ample use of fliers.

Also Stony Silence/Null Rod kills it, Wasteland kills it, etc.

Any other ideas? Seems like a fun card to brew with, possibly.

• I don't think a 4-mana Gilded Lotus would see significant play in Vintage (the 5-mana version sees very little play and it doesn't require a flying creature)

• @ajfirecracker That is a very good point. It's not the exact same (a land, can be paid for over 2 turns for +1 of any color on the second turn), but I concur.

Some differences: this can be searched up with SFM and any other card that looks for equipment, has a funny interaction with Oath decks, costs less with cards that are already used in Shops, etc.

I found it interesting also that they'd print this at rare and not as a Legendary land.

• The only thing that really jumped out at me about this card was the fact that it can give them useless tokens for you to oath off of. That being said I doubt you really want to spend the time equipping this on Emrakul. In shops it seems like giving them some blockers for your non evasive creatures was a non starter.

Also, the land is still vulnerable to wastelands but with all the added hoops you have to jump through. I think i would want someone to prove me wrong on this before I bothered with it.

• TMD Supporter

This card reminds me of Sword Of The Animist. I predict this will have a similar impact on Vintage.

• If you want a repeatable Black Lotus, just play Workshop.

• The trigger is a "may" ability... what proportion of the time do you think you leave it as an equipment?

• @ajfirecracker when there's an untapped wasteland in play and you're not planning on casting an instant off it.

• Just to reiterate, not saying this card is amazing, just seeing if there's something reasonable out there that would make it suck less than it does.

If there was a way to flip it while paying little or no mana, what deck hates having a lotus every turn?

• I don't really understand the payoff to this card outside of edh.

You need to be packing small creatures with some form of evasion, or play a bunch of removal spells, and then you have to play high mana intensive spells in the same list.

Why go through all the trouble?

It's cool. It would be nice to have it flipped, but the process of flipping it makes it awful.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.