9 October 2017 Proxy Vintage @Brash Brewing Co [8 players]
- Ben Kendrick - White Eldrazi
- Sean Liu- Pitch Dredge
- Nick Patniyot - Salvagers Oath
- John Russell - Grixis Fish
- Tim Everett - Merfolk
- Will Miertschin - Clamp Shops
- Joe Kington - Paradoxical Storm
- Sam Craven - 4 Color Control
Play of the tournament:
Sean, having been wasted off of Bazaar, was dredging naturally. After running out of dredgers, Sean was stuck with four Grave-Trolls and a Serum Powder in hand. He drew a Cabal Therapy for the turn, cast it off his Urborg, and targeted himself naming Golgari Grave-Troll. This re-fed his graveyard and powered him through the rest of the game. Bonus: He even got some zombies out of the deal! (Unfortunately, however, our intrepid hero did go on to lose this game.)
Why people turn to the dark side
Sam's question of the tournament: On the play, in the blind. Keep or mull?
T1 crucible is pretty good against shops (with EE to back it up), and T2 Leo is real good against blue/combo (enabled by the crucible), so its a tempting keep having both those bases covered. Only fear is getting your crucible Forced, but I'd probably keep it to see how it played out.
Good to see Ben take it down - the playmat just isn't the same without his name on it.
He and I were texting afterwards, and he had some thoughts on the list:
- Spyglass kinda stunk.
- Glowrider was strong.
- He didn't draw Thorn all day, but it went fine without it.
- He only drew Arbiter once and it wasn't relevant, but there were lots of times it could have been good. 1-2 is a fine number, though Mindcensor might be better.