Prison-style Workshop deck viable post thorn-restriction?

• Hola gang,

Just getting back into Vintage after an extended hiatus, and I see that Thorn and Chalice are now restricted along with Lodestone. (Hey, let's just restrict all lock pieces until Workshop sucks.)

Any consensus as to whether a non-aggro Workshop deck that's heavy on the prison elements (whatever they might be) can work into today's meta?

-Dr. J

• TMD Supporter

No.

The lock pieces are not strong enough to consistently contain any of the blue decks and you will be at a severe disadvantage against the aggro-MUD decks, eldrazi, and Dredge.

• I guess this depends on what you mean by viable. Any 75 cards jammed together are viable, but are not necessarily positioned well to win events. If you mean has someone else made a prison workshop deck that has consistently won events post thorn restriction that I am able to net-deck, I believe that the answer is no. Is it possible to make such a deck? Quite possibly. I am not going to pretend to know how or what such a deck would look like though. I know that I would start with the restricted artefact taxing cards, add spheres, bridges, smokestacks, null rods, revokers, and tangle wires.

• Administrators

Even after all of the Workshop restrictions, you still have access to more lock pieces than 5-color-Stax did the year it won champs. I think the real problem is that the creatures in aggro-shops are so powerful, there isn't a very good argument for running the 2nd-tier lock pieces instead of them.

I wouldn't personally back a Stax-style Workshop deck at the moment, but if I were, I would imagine the key cards to be Null Rod and maybe Ensnaring Bridge? Unless you're running cards that punish people for having Ravagers and Ballistas, you should have Ravagers and Ballistas. That's the problem to solve before anything else.

• Recent 5-0 (which doesn't mean much), but this version looks quite good against AggroShops, Eldrazi, and Dredge.

AggroShops/Eldrazi has a hard time beating Ensnaring Bridge + Null Rod. Quad Peeking Needle (+2 actual needle in the board ..wtf..) is great against Bazaar.

Could see shaving a Metamorph and the Wurmcoil for 2 more Bridges main if the expected meta is heavy on dudesweats. I would also want a Tabernacle or 2 in the board for the token strategies.

0_1507915978314_Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 10.06.47 AM.png

• @whienot said in Prison-style Workshop deck viable post thorn-restriction?:

Peeking needle

I love that name :D

• Thanks for the suggestions, duderinos. I suspected, as some of you noted, that the lock pieces might not be dense enough to contain blue. I do like that decklist, but suspect it prob does suck against anything with access to Hurkyl's.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.