Eternal Weekend for the first timer

1. It depends on attendance. I would expect 8 or 9 rounds, but guidelines are as follows:
      65 - 128 players - 7 rounds
      129 - 226 - 8 rounds
      227 - 409 - 9 rounds
      410+ 10 rounds

2. A conservative estimate is 1.5 hrs per round including turnover time, so @ 8-9 rounds rounds, you are looking @ 12-13.5 hrs. Player meeting is @ 9a, but first round might not actually start unitl 10a, so a 10-11p finish time is possible.

3. They have a ton of side events that you can find on www.cardtitan.com/eternal_weekend, but for vintage specifically:
      Thursday
      1p: Vintage Champs Trial, 5 rds single elim, $30 entry
      4p: Vintage Champs Trial, 5 rds single elim, $30 entry
      Friday
      9a: main event
      2p: Vintage Rebound, 4 swiss rds, $40 entry ($20 if you played in main event)
      6p: Vintage Bounty, 4 swiss rds, $30 entry
      Saturday
      10a: Vintage Challenge, 4 swiss rds, $30 entry
      4p: Vintage Bounty, 4 swiss rds, $30 entry
      Sunday
      9a: Vintage Top 8
      10a: Vintage $5k, Swiss based on attendance w/ cut to top 8, $50 entry
      3p: Vintage Challenge, 4 swiss rds, $30 entry

• @jonhammack Are the rounds the traditional 50 minute rounds or are they longer at EW?

• @jonhammack And is there a break in there somewhere for lunch?

• @grendal76 50 min rounds and no planned lunch break

• It's the best event of the year. You're going to be in a room with hundreds of people who all love the format, and have flown from all across the globe to play. Compete, and play to the best of your ability, but enjoy the moment.

• @grendal76

1. 8 or 9 rounds for Vintage main event

2. If you play all the rounds out I would expect to finish between 8 and 930pm.

3. For a first timer, I would recommend talking with and meeting as many new people as possible!

@Prospero @iamfishman This is the best event of the year after NYSE and TMD open

• @rikter Thank you, sir.

I would advise that you understand the most played cards in the format and be prepared to play against some competitive players. I would wager that this is the most competitive sanctioned Vintage event of the year. This means if you forget your Dark Confidant trigger I'd expect that a good chunk of the field will not allow you to put it back on the stack. So understand competitive REL as best you can if you aren't familiar with it or if you are a MTGO only player. Communicate super clearly and that should favor you win or lose. I point this out because while Vintage is superficially portrayed as a friendly community, players want to top 8 this event.

• TMD Supporter

@nedleeds said in Eternal Weekend for the first timer:

This means if you forget your Dark Confidant trigger I'd expect that a good chunk of the field will not allow you to put it back on the stack.

If you play against Joe Brennan always force him to put it back on the stack. It might just be the fourth Leyline of the Void.

• @grendal76 said in Eternal Weekend for the first timer:

4.) Last but not least... any tips for a first timer to Eternal Weekend?

For big tournaments in general:

• If you have the option of sitting vs standing, sit. Lots of people stand around talking between rounds and then complain about sore feet later in the day.
    • There's no lunch break and food options in and around venues tend to be iffy at best. Bring something real to eat. IE, bring granola or a sandwich, not doritos and candy bars
    • Similarly, bring a water bottle.
    • Bring a thin top layer (American Apparel hoodies are great) because the venue will probably be cold as fuck when you get in. Don't bring something heavy because then you'll have to lug it around
    • If you have any questions at all, call a judge
    • Up to you but I prefer to carry as little as possible. For example, my bag at Vintage champs will likely be 75 cards, some dice, paper, pens, water, and snack. I used to carry a camera, trade materials, other decks but, at least during the big tournament, I stick to only the things I absolutely need.

• @thecravenone said in Eternal Weekend for the first timer:

• If you have the option of sitting vs standing, sit. Lots of people stand around talking between rounds and then complain about sore feet later in the day.

I may be in the minority, but I found the opposite to be true assuming I’m not carrying around a 20 pound bag on my back. Standing and more importantly walking around keeps the blood flowing and lets me stay loose. To each their own though, but I’ve never experienced sore feet at a tournament from standing but I have had a sore back and a tension headache from sitting hunched over and carrying a heavy backpack around.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.