October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement

• @vaughnbros said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@blindtherapy

Restrict the island subtype!

TBH I usually only play one basic island. If I needed two I could play a snow covered.

• @john-cox

The island subtype would include dual lands. You can only play 1 card with Island written on it.

Restricting Island subtype along with Workshop and Bazaar is a scorch earth strategy.

• @vaughnbros would this also apply to Island Fish Jaconus? You might have an uproar on your hands taking away the Island Fish. That archetype is pretty strong

• @poxeveryturn

Yes along with an errata to make sure the Island Fish is once again an Island fish.

• @vaughnbros Wow... give every deck with fetches a free 6/8 blocker

• @ajfirecracker ironically if you could fetch for the Island fish I think it just dies. I think you have to have an island in play at all times to keep the alive. Card is super broken.

Unless it were also considered its own island... and a new meta emerges.

• @poxeveryturn Uncounterable, fetchable 6/8 on turn 2 is also good enough for me.

• @fsecco Cant really reliably attack or untap though and under the propsed scenario you'd be giving up any other islands by playing it.

• @vaughnbros spreading seas,attack, then fling, then reanimate. Boom. Broken. Only need the perfect draw and like 4 turns of your opponent doing nothing. Grixis Island Fish...

• @vaughnbros I'd assume that if you're playing a 4 Jasconius deck, you're also playing Spreading Seas. The UUU to Untap is bad, but you don't need that, just fetch for another one! 😉

• @vaughnbros This is still my fondest wish in Magic.

#FreeTheFish

@poxeveryturn said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Unless it were also considered its own island... and a new meta emerges.

Well sure. If it's an Island for fetching purposes, it's an Island for all purpose. It also taps for U.

Card is super broken.

Sure but so is like 50% of all cards we play in Vintage.

• @fsecco said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@poxeveryturn Uncounterable, fetchable 6/8 on turn 2 is also good enough for me.

Turn 2? I'm playing this with fastbond for the turn 1!

• @vaughnbros said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@john-cox

The island subtype would include dual lands. You can only play 1 card with Island written on it.

Restricting Island subtype along with Workshop and Bazaar is a scorch earth strategy.

When that happens we'll have gone really deep down the "restrict creatures" rabbit hole.

• In the wake of vintage champs and multiple MTGO challenges it seems pretty clear that shops is still the clear best deck. Even specially built Oath decks to take down shops have fallen short. So the question remains, what next to restrict?

Imo we either hit foundry inspector, sphere, ravager, or some combination. However it is becoming more and more clear that workshop itself must go eventually. As an alternative tack, unrestricting mental misstep could allow the format to develop in a different direction, and possibly hurt shops

• @ravager101 mental misstep is unrestricted. Did you mean git probe?

I think it could be revoker or ballista. I dont think workshop should go because it enables an archetype. Workshops, on the surface, sounds playable if you restrict revoker and ballista. Theres not a significant shortage of aggressive colorless aggressive meat to play instead. Possibly move towards eldrazi variant.

• The obv culprit this champs was Oath. Restrict Forbidden Orchard.

• I'm surprised the t8 consisted of only 2 archetypes. Are Workshop decks really that much more consistent than any blue decks? With the deck being down to 8 lock pieces there should be enough hands with none or just one, but apparently the all in affinity approach is also enough to win consistently?
    Also, what happened to Paradoxical and the Baral deck? Or decks with 4 hurkyls in general?

• @wintage The issue is that they're printing good cards for the Shops archetype faster than they're restricting them (and 1 restriction + 1 equally powerful printing still leads to a net rise in power level, since you can keep the restricted card as a 1-of)

IMO other archetypes are not trending up as quickly as Workshops in terms of power level, particularly because the obviously powerful new printings for those archetypes keep getting restricted - the Khans block cards in particular

• Guys, the sky isn't falling. People were underprepared for Workshops. Yes, something probably needs to be restricted, but in the Article I'll be writing I will be writing a clear argument that it is NOT Mishra's Workshop.

Culprits: Phyrexian Revoker, Foundry Inspector, Walking Ballista, Arcbound Ravager.

Those will all be cards I talk about. Relax though, and have a good sideboard plan, and we'll get through the Shop Dominance.

Besides, let us take a look at the workshop players:
    @Montolio has been the best performing workshop pilot, and player in general, for YEARS. He won NYSE in 2016, then Top 8ed Champs that year. He also won several of the Power 9 Challenges back when they were only monthly and much larger. He's the real fucking deal.

Rich Shay is fucking bomb dot com at this format. He's extremely analytical, incredibly intelligent of all aspects of this game (and Life!) and he plays a ton, and with #TheAcademy, which for those under a rock is a think tank of the best minds currently in vintage.

Brian Larken played very well, and is all around a great magic player who is relitively unknown in Vintage because he plays in the Shark Tank that is the East Coast. It was only a matter of time until he breaks out - he's friends with Nick Dijohn, so obviously he has some good coaching for playing Workshops.

Eric Vergo was unknown to me before this tournament, and snuck in his second bye by winning one of the Grinders on Thursday by going 5-0, to Join Sean O'Brien and I in the 'Two Bye Club'. He then played magic like a fucking pro all weekend, and had some insane record 8-2 and then 9-1-1 if I recall correctly, for a TOTAL Record of 22-3-1 on the weekend before he got beat in the top 8 of BOTH EVENTS as he was the only person to ever top 8 Legacy and Vintage Champs both in the same year (at least that I can recall). Look for special things from this kid.

The other guy (Sorry, I can't remember your name) I don't know much about, but he seems to be one of the Team Tusk guys, who all seem to be solid magic players from when I've played them or watched them play.

Basically, what I'm getting at is, sure, you need to be lucky to get to the top of these tournaments, but you also need to be a fucking great magic player. And all these shop players would have been pushing the top 64 or 32 anyway.

Hell, if you gave me @Montolio , @brianpk80 , and Rich Shay against the field, when the field had magic cards and the 3-team was armed with a Ham Sandwhich, a Deck of Yugioh cards, and a subscription to Club Pengiun, I'd probably bet on those 3 to at least go 50/50.

• TMD Supporter

@13nova said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Guys, the sky isn't falling. People were underprepared for Workshops. Yes, something probably needs to be restricted, but in the Article I'll be writing I will be writing a clear argument that it is NOT Mishra's Workshop.

Culprits: Phyrexian Revoker, Foundry Inspector, Walking Ballista, Arcbound Ravager.

Those will all be cards I talk about. Relax though, and have a good sideboard plan, and we'll get through the Shop Dominance.

I don't think anybody is panicking (e.g. "the sky isn't falling.") Shops variants have been a large portion of the meta for years now. Whether or not people are "prepared" to play against workshops is a tangential issue. The main concern, as you alluded to with your culprits, is that Shops decks are improving at a faster pace relative to other pillars of the format.

Cut a head off the hydra (restrict a card), and two more grow in it's place. Newer, better, more aggressive cards continue to be printed. The acceleration of shops is outpacing the restrictions.

WAF/WHF