October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement

• @chubbyrain said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

The people saying "restricting Thorn of Amethyst killed Eldrazi" are simply wrong. The deck saw little play because of Shops even prior to restriction - we just have more data from Champs that confirms it.

Forgot to mention this in the SMIP thread: Steve said that Eldrazi had a good matchup against Shops and that's why it saw play last year. I may be wrong, but I remember it being quite the opposite. Am I wrong? I really don't remember but I vaguely recall it being something like 75/25 in favor of Shops. (or was that record against White Eldrazi and not Colorless?)

• @fsecco I posted the win rates above.

Shops was almost 80-20 against both White and Jacodrazi. I think the notion that Jacodrazi has a favorable Shops matchup came from @JACO himself when he played it at NYSE. However, Shops decks were incredibly different then. They were more prison oriented and their manabases were strained by Thought-Knot Seer, so the 9 Waste effects and Null Rod were enough to exploit the fragile manabase. Foundry Inspector and the move to a more streamlined deck made this strategy much less effective.

• @chubbyrain The one you posted above is 2017 though, right? I wasn't clear at all, but I meant 2016!

• TMD Supporter

@chubbyrain said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@fsecco I posted the win rates above.

Shops was almost 80-20 against both White and Jacodrazi. I think the notion that Jacodrazi has a favorable Shops matchup came from @JACO himself when he played it at NYSE. However, Shops decks were incredibly different then. They were more prison oriented and their manabases were strained by Thought-Knot Seer, so the 9 Waste effects and Null Rod were enough to exploit the fragile manabase. Foundry Inspector and the move to a more streamlined deck made this strategy much less effective.

For the record, his deck premiered at NYSE IV, where Shadows over Innistrad was the most recent set. This was long before Kaladesh block, Foundry Inspector, Walking Ballista, etc.

• @fsecco

0_1509731609744_10614edb-cc0a-4fc8-ad04-c4d2c222eb54-image.png

I don't have it broken down into White and Colorless Eldrazi for this one, but the majority of decks were Jacodrazi (42 to 20). Also, Foundry Inspector and Precursor Golem saw almost no play (5 of 40 Shops decks with 3.4 copies of Inspector and 2 copies of Precursor Golem in the entire event. What a difference a year makes...

• Mishra's Workshop is the second best MTG card ever printed. It's arguably better than Black Lotus in a shops shell. The free-pass bullshit can stop any day now. It deserves to be restricted.

• @bobbyvictory Hyperbole doesn't help your crusade.

• @winterstar Not sure how much hyperbole it is though. If you can think of how many cards are sheer brokenness without the need of set-up (yawg will needing a full grave, for example), you have lotus, ancestral, trinisphere, bazaar, sol ring, maybe tinker. Workshop is certainly more powerful than a mox as it is +2 mana instead of +1. Sol ring is useful across deck types, but is only +1 mana the turn it's played. Mana crypt gives you the +2, but at the cost of just killing yourself with bad flips. Memory Jar isn't nearly as broken without 4 shops or tinker. Bazaar can be just as powerful as workshop in that the deck built around it uses it in a similar fashion (cheating mana). I think a lot of those cards mentioned can be lumped near the top, but it could easily be debatable which cards you list in your top 3 on raw power of the card alone.

The fact that Workshop pins you to playing an artifact deck is really no hinderance at all. If any other land could add +2 (let's say for example thorn, sphere, golem, juggy, jar, trini, tangle wire, smokestack, etc. all cost -2 from their current cost), you'd have every deck of any color utilizing those cards. As I said in an earlier post, it's not that shops forces players to play artifacts - it's that workshops give players ACCESS to higher costed artifacts that would definitely be played in other decks with the -2 mana adjustment that Workshop provides.

Consider for a minute if thorn/sphere cost 0 and tangle wire cost 1 (with the offset of the 2 mana extra shops gives you). Are you telling me decks like dredge wouldn't run those? Would blue NOT play jar (even without tinker) if it only cost 3? Would aggro decks not love a 2 mana juggernaut? Granted, you won't ALWAYS have workshop in an opener (just like you won't ALWAYS have ancestral, FoW, bazaar, X-card-name-here), but as a 4-of, it happens regularly enough that it can be a +2 mana in the opener a LOT. Even if you draw it turn 3, jar is now a turn 3 play whereas it's turn 5 if you play any other land.

• @winterstar It's not hyperbole. There is no crusade. Lots of players want the card gone. Even some of the world's top MTG players of all time want the card restricted. This is reality. Workshop is completely overpowered and it's time to stop giving cards free passes.

• I don't think -2 mana artifacts are a fair comparison - Shops ONLY casts those spells. Imagine if Lodestone cost -2 but you put a counter on the permanents that cast it and could only ever use those permanents for artifacts. I'm not convinced it would see play in every deck (although it is and would be a powerful card)

• @ajfirecracker The Shops archetype isn't trying to cast other spells though so that argument doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

• @ajfirecracker I see your point, but still think it is a fair comparison for the purposes of showing workshop's effect on artifacts. If all the artifacts cost -2, but other lands could only cast artifacts, why would i not just run whatever lands I chose and 9x 0-1 cost spheres, 4x 2cc juggernaut/golem, 4x 1cc tangles, etc? It would still be more powerful than most decks.
    In fact, the issue is more compounded because it's not just a world of -2cc artifacts we're in, because then any color deck could equally run their own 2 mana juggernauts and 1 mana tangles to fight back. As it is now, ONLY workshops can play the 2-mana golem, 1-mana tangle game while other decks don't have access to that. So, yes, workshop comes at the cost of not running FoW and ancestral (which would be awful with spheres anyway), but it gives them access to a world of undercosted artifacts that no other deck has access to.
    Once upon a time, I ran 5-color workshops (TMS, Riddler), and they played chains of meph, goblin welder, ancestral, walk, etc. I even had a cute hanna's custody platinum angel combo in the Riddler. This was even before Urborg, tomb and chromatic lantern. So a shops deck CAN squeeze in a select amount of colored spells with rainbow lands to complement the workshops/tombs. When's the last time you saw a non-shops deck squeezing in some tangle wires and juggernauts with their 1-mana lands?
    There is never going to be a perfect analogy to what workshops does. It's not lotus on a stick. It's not -2cc on all artifact spells. It's not going to be akin to anything other than "workshops cast powerful artifacts too fast." But that doesn't dismiss the argument that Workshop gives powerful artifact spells the "effect" of -2 mana compared to all other lands. It allows them to play really good artifacts that other decks can't reasonably cast in a time frame that matters. The whole purpose to artifacts from the beginning was that any color could play them, but they had to pay more mana than was reasonable to do so. A 3/3 could cost 2G or 2W, but as an artifact was probably 4. Then along comes Mishra's Workshop, and it made that artifact feel like it cost 1 in comparison.
    I don't think anyone can say tangle, ballista, golem, wurmcoil, spheres, etc. are "crap cards" (though someone in this thread earlier implied as much) that workshops are "trapped" into playing. The reality is that those are GOOD cards that shops can play MUCH FASTER than any other land would allow.
    Now, with shops being unrestricted, you also face the problem of multiples. You can play a steel hellkite or wurmcoil or staff of nin or ballista with 3 counters or whatnot for 2 lands? And all other decks would need 6 land drops to do that? You mean other colors have access to 2/1s and 2/3s for 2 land drops while shops is dropping triskelions? Yeah, seems totally fair.
    Here's an alternate thought experiment. Let's say workshop could tap to play any color mana and ALSO 3 mana for artifacts. Are you telling me it wouldn't play golem and tangle and spheres because the colored spells are "better"? It would rather take 2-3 lands to play something like In the Eye of Chaos and thalia and wingmare than 1 land to play sphere, thorn, trini (assuming it was still on the prison plan)? It would rather play 2 lands to cast grizzly bears than 2 lands to play juggernaut (or wurmcoil if both lands were shops)?

• @thewhitedragon69 said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Consider for a minute if thorn/sphere cost 0 and tangle wire cost 1 (with the offset of the 2 mana extra shops gives you). Are you telling me decks like dredge wouldn't run those? Would blue NOT play jar (even without tinker) if it only cost 3? Would aggro decks not love a 2 mana juggernaut? Granted, you won't ALWAYS have workshop in an opener (just like you won't ALWAYS have ancestral, FoW, bazaar, X-card-name-here), but as a 4-of, it happens regularly enough that it can be a +2 mana in the opener a LOT. Even if you draw it turn 3, jar is now a turn 3 play whereas it's turn 5 if you play any other land.

I find this most funny, because your examples are all so bad. I mean, the analogy itself leads nowhere, but come on, those examples are not good. Like, you know that there IS a Juggernaut that costs 2 mana right? It's called Tarmogoyf and it's nowhere to be seen in Vintage.
    Also, Dredge would definitely not run Spheres, since it runs just a few lands and would not want to stop their turn 2 Dread Return by themselves. Also, Tangle Wire would be bad for it too, since they don't need the tempo play and most answers to Dredge cost 1 so it's irrelevant if you tap them out on upkeep.

EDIT: sorry if I sounded rude, it wan't my intention. I really found your post way off and laughed a bit on my way to work. Putting what Workshop does into paper, trying to bend rules or compare it with other cards is a very hard thing to do that mostly amounts to nothing. It's good because it's a great tempo play, and that's it. This is Magic Theory from the 90's: tempo vs card advantage battle is old as the game itself. My worry is that without Workshop the tempo strategy will get too hurt. But I guess the printing of Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher really made a good ground for Shops to go away.

@thewhitedragon69 said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Here's an alternate thought experiment. Let's say workshop could tap to play any color mana and ALSO 3 mana for artifacts. Are you telling me it wouldn't play golem and tangle and spheres because the colored spells are "better"? It would rather take 2-3 lands to play something like In the Eye of Chaos and thalia and wingmare than 1 land to play sphere, thorn, trini (assuming it was still on the prison plan)? It would rather play 2 lands to cast grizzly bears than 2 lands to play juggernaut (or wurmcoil if both lands were shops)?

It wouldn't. It would play Fastbond and Timetwister and most blue spells in a storm-combo shell and try to win before passing the turn, mainly because it would be very, very bad to play sphere effects when your opponent has access to 4 lands that produce 3 mana.

• @seksaybish Well to be fair... That's a function of restricting Thorn rather than Sphere.

• @bobbyvictory Mishra's Workshop, the "second best card ever"... arguably the better even than Lotus. So good in fact, that decks running 4 of them, have won Vintage Champs... is it twice? Ever?

That's pretty amazing if you think its about as good as Lotus... or better than Ancestral let's say. I feel like if you gave me 4 Ancestrals I could outperform this number... (pssst, you are actually speaking in hyperbole.)

Twice is one more time than Lord of Atlantis... which is arguably the best creature ever printed... by which I mean, I'm pretty sure I could draw someone around here into an argument about it, because we are being totally, utterly ridiculous.

• @bobbyvictory said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@ajfirecracker The Shops archetype isn't trying to cast other spells though so that argument doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Riiight, because Mishra's Workshop decks wouldn't play Time Walk and Ancestral Recall if they could cast then consistently

• @topical_island Stop taking what I am saying out of context and making a bad comparison. You can't compare lord of atlantis to black lotus, they are two entirely different types cards. You can compare workshop to black lotus as they are both accelerants. Workshops sticks around to continue pumping out giant ballistas/hangarbacks. The lotus is a one time use. Taxing effects also increase the cost to bring lotus out. Mishra's Workshop is more powerful than black lotus in the shops deck. It comes out for free and can't be countered.

• @ajfirecracker Shops doesn't need time walk/ancestral....The deck is already busted lol.

• @ajfirecracker welp, Bobby says it's "busted". I guess there's nothing more to discuss...

I was gripping to Andy once about DCI lack of transparency, and I remember he made a really good point, giving the DCI their due, by pointing out what a mess it would be if players made those decisions...

I guess all I can say is, this thread is great evidence of exactly what he was talking about.

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@chubbyrain said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

The people saying "restricting Thorn of Amethyst killed Eldrazi" are simply wrong. The deck saw little play because of Shops even prior to restriction - we just have more data from Champs that confirms it.

Forgot to mention this in the SMIP thread: Steve said that Eldrazi had a good matchup against Shops and that's why it saw play last year. I may be wrong, but I remember it being quite the opposite. Am I wrong? I really don't remember but I vaguely recall it being something like 75/25 in favor of Shops. (or was that record against White Eldrazi and not Colorless?)

What I said was that in 2016, Eldrazi had a much better Shops matchup. Pointing to the September data which showed that Eldrazi had only a 20% win rate against Shops in 2017 (with a small sample size, though), I predicted that Eldrazi would be less prevalent than in 2016, and Shops more.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.