EW Meta and discussion.

• This post is deleted!

• @khahan Im considering running the incentive for ALL leagues and challenges for awhile. I haven't posted it here yet, but for good reason. I'd like to see how the first one goes to get an idea of how many players are willing to deviate. I certainly don't want everyone to deviate for the first incentive. I'd like to see how the brew decks compete vs the current meta first. I'm also wondering if the incentive was ran for all leagues/challenges if it could permanently change the meta and phase out certain competitive decks completely. I wouldn't mind shaking things up entirely for an extended period of time. Future incentives might be highest top8 placing shops deck that only runs 1 inspector(or workshop-hah) or highest blue deck that only runs 1 misstep. If enough dedicated players of those archetypes jumped in on those incentives with the rest of the current mtgo playerbase aware of a portion of players using only 1 of each of those cards, perhaps we could get the most accurate picture of what an environment might look like with only 1 copy of each in any their respected archetypes. I figure money will motivate players to test it out in a real environment. I'll be registering for tomorrows challenge but dropping right away just so I can keep an eye on all the results and view all the replays.

• @brianpk80 I played a blue deck with Pyroblasts (1 main at EW although i had been tinkering around with 2 main before i reigstered and decided against it).

I see what you are saying, but Eldrazi is so minimal and Dredge/Shops are like 30% of the meta. I decided to play a Pyroblast main deck since i could expect to be playing against blue about 7 times out of a sample of 10 rounds. It was great in the mainboard against blue decks (including Oath, which is definitely a 'blue' deck, although it was medium) and i played Shops once and Dredge once.

Do you not think Pyro is fine main deck vs ~%60-70 or is that too few in your estimation? I have been very on the edge about the card in the maindeck overall, but it was just pretty clean as removal against planeswalkers if you didn't have it in time to use a counterspell.

• @sovarius I think Brian is more on the "I played 4 misstep, 2 Pyro, 2 Fluster, and I keep losing to Shops! Restrict Shops!" players (and these players for sure exist).

If you're on 4-5 dead cards v shops in the main (between pyroblast, flusterstorm, and mental misstep), that's fine, and you match up in terms of cards you bring in cards you bring out.

• My Number 1 rule is always make sure you can board out ALL those shitters. Nothing is worse than having to keep a mistep in because you didn't properly analyze and build your sideboard.

• @13nova I was about to point to your champs deck as an example of "don't do this", but then counted up 7 in, 7 out, and went "well, Soly actually thought this one through" :)

Have to imagine game 1 is a rough one, though.

• @neo_altoid said in EW Meta and discussion.:

@13nova I was about to point to your champs deck as an example of "don't do this", but then counted up 7 in, 7 out, and went "well, Soly actually thought this one through" :)

Have to imagine game 1 is a rough one, though.

I feel like it's definitely NOT ideal, but playing well, mulligans successfully, and a little variance helps.

• TMD Supporter

@brianpk80 said in EW Meta and discussion.:

Fortunately, the Top 8 this year had zero Pyroblasts and it's easy to understand why--that blue on blue cannibalism that feels so cool on MTGO is destined for multiple losses in real life scenarios where Dredge, Shops, Oath, Eldrazi and so forth actually exist. (Newsflash to Pyroblast-maniacs--these archetypes do in fact... exist).

I cannot resist pointing out the irony that the format's most faithful Weissman disciple is chastising players for adopting one of the school's most famous technological advances in constructed magic, maindecking Red Elemental Blast :)

• @smmenen said in EW Meta and discussion.:

@brianpk80 said in EW Meta and discussion.:

Fortunately, the Top 8 this year had zero Pyroblasts and it's easy to understand why--that blue on blue cannibalism that feels so cool on MTGO is destined for multiple losses in real life scenarios where Dredge, Shops, Oath, Eldrazi and so forth actually exist. (Newsflash to Pyroblast-maniacs--these archetypes do in fact... exist).

I cannot resist pointing out the irony that the format's most faithful Weissman disciple is chastising players for adopting one of the school's most famous technological advances in constructed magic, maindecking Red Elemental Blast :)

It is funny the way things change over time. I wouldn't be caught dead with a maindeck Swords to Plowshares either. :-)

• @brianpk80 They treated me well without having go result to Oath of Druids. ;)

I wouldn't be caught with an Inferno Titan in my deck. To each their own.

Then again, you are one of 9 people at this tournament that can debunk the theories of my deck lol

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.