EW Meta and discussion.

• Also, congrats to our Top 8 and the champion Montolio. He has been crushing and innovating for a long time now and deserved the win!
    I wish Cron and Menendian went further though. No SMIP in the Top 8 was a bummer :P

EDIT: Oh, and Rich and Brian played some of the coolest games o camera. Brian on friday won a game through pure masterful play.

• @fsecco go to cardtitan.com/coverage.

Scroll halfway down and there will be a archetype breakdown.

• @pugsuperstar Oh yeah I saw that. I just wanted specifically the Top 16 and/or 32 because it would help understand better how much shops dominated. There were people tied to the 8th slot from 8 to 21st place, so with a few different results that Top 8 could've been totatlly different. But if we have 16-20 Shops on that Top 32, then well...

• @fsecco we'll have a more detailed breakdown later this week.

• This post is deleted!

• Administrators

Just a friendly reminder! Please feel free to talk about the banned and restricted list in the dedicated thread, http://themanadrain.com/topic/1547/october-17-2017-banned-restricted-announcement but nowhere else please!

• @diophan Great! Just thought Card Titan could've maybe put the Top 16 somewhere and I missed :P

• TMD Supporter

So Eternal Weekend was great as always, and as always I'm sad to see it end.

But I wanted to say on a personal note that I had a number of people this weekend, upon being officially introduced for the first time, tell me that they remembered me from TMD and respected my contributions as a level-headed member of the community. And that's something that means a whole lot to me. I've often felt like I was just a hanger-on because of my physical distance from everyone and my lack of results, so to know that my contributions over the years have been noticed and valued is very touching.

So to those of you who told me that this weekend and those of you who might feel the same but haven't said so for whatever reason, I thank you.

• I played some of the worst magic of my life this weekend, and i am upset about that. But i had a good time even though i don't really talk to anyone and sat alone. Working on my pace. I have long played too slow and overthought decisions, took games to time for no good reason, and called out on slow play. I did very well picking up the pace this weekend and riffling through cantrips and demonic tutor and waiting patiently on removal/counters, fetching lands correct (4 colors is no walk in the park, why do i do this to myself). I did however, lose a couple handfuls of games to rushing.

@geoffc I played both the vintage 5k and the vintage challenge today (sunday). I dont remember exact numbers, but i believe there were about 75-100 on the 5k (specifically recall thinking there weren't enough $50 entries to cover $5k but i could be wrong).

Vintage challenge had 25 +/- 2.

Made the poor mistake of playing legacy champs, did not realize a couple months ago when i preregistered that i could spend all day playing vintage on saturday.

• @13nova
    Bummer you didn't make top 8 but really glad you made it as far as you did. You're one of my favorite vintage players to follow.

• @13nova Yes, that round 4 match against Stax was epic indeed. Thanks for sharing.

• Congrats to Montolio and the rest of the t8!

• @sovarius said in EW Meta and discussion.:

I played some of the worst magic of my life this weekend, and i am upset about that. But i had a good time even though i don't really talk to anyone and sat alone. Working on my pace. I have long played too slow and overthought decisions, took games to time for no good reason, and called out on slow play. I did very well picking up the pace this weekend and riffling through cantrips and demonic tutor and waiting patiently on removal/counters, fetching lands correct (4 colors is no walk in the park, why do i do this to myself). I did however, lose a couple handfuls of games to rushing.

@geoffc I played both the vintage 5k and the vintage challenge today (sunday). I dont remember exact numbers, but i believe there were about 75-100 on the 5k (specifically recall thinking there weren't enough $50 entries to cover $5k but i could be wrong).

Vintage challenge had 25 +/- 2.

Made the poor mistake of playing legacy champs, did not realize a couple months ago when i preregistered that i could spend all day playing vintage on saturday.

I feel you; I was so upset at how I played in Vintage champs that I dropped at 1-2; my thought going into it was to just play it out regardless of how I did but I was making horrible, novice mistakes, that I was basically embarrassed to go on. I should have stuck with White Eldrazi, which I was playing consistently up until the Thorn restriction, but made a total pivot to a new deck, worst mistake possible.

Regardless, was a great weekend, played some old school, picked up some cool cards and met some cool people, so will look forward to next year.

• TMD Supporter

This event was great! I really enjoyed the chance to commentate with Randy Buehler for the first time, as well as spending time goofing around with my buddy Mark Hornung. There were a lot of huge shakeups in the final round that left the top 8 as it was, including the two 7-1-1s both getting paired down and both losing, allowing Eric to sneak into 8th seed at 8-2. I don't have access to the standings right now, but that last slot could have been any number of players, including @13NoVa, as it didn't look clear until the round settled. I was very happy with the games that I got to commentate, and hopefully my love of the format translated well over Twitch. Thank you everyone that said nice things to me and for everyone that I got to talk to, either for the first time or for the first time in a while. Please let me know if you have any feedback for me. I'm going to try to run it back next year and the audience deserves the best possible show.

• @peterflugzeug Thank you for the words regarding the match - I really am glad that other than a few gamestate issues, I was on point for that match. Sean O'brien and I were on point for that matchup - I wish we could have been Mic'ed as we both know our standing in the community at large, and were definitely laughing about it and he was a great opponent to have.

@Ten-ten thank you also for the kind words - I'm glad to have fans. I'm not oblivious to the 'villian' persona I create online because I just can't stop myself from using the Enter Key before my brain processes how much of a dick I can be - so I hope anyone who meets me realizes that I am just a clownshoes having fun.

I think I should write a report - 10th place with 2 byes isn't a top 8 and it isn't a full tournament worth of magic, but I think I could give good insight into my preperation and testing for this tournament, my thoughts on matchups going into the event, and specific situations in games that were interesting, because there were several really neat plays during this event.

• @13nova I saw your list posted on the feature match decklist post. How was the single gifts for you? Seems like with 4 snapcaster it could give you infinite flexibility. Also curious if you tested merchant scroll with the singleton gifts and gush. Your match on stream was an all timer for sure.

• @p3temangus I will make sure to answer those questions during my writeup. I did test Pieces of the Puzzle, Compulsive Research, Telling Time, Impulse, and Gifts, and I also tested Mana Drain, Mystical Tutor, Merchant Scroll, and another cool card in the deck but I couldn't find the last one in Japanese on short notice, so I didn't play it (Every card in my deck is Japanese, and for those calling me a Pleb in twitch chat, those weren't fucking draft basics, those were Japanese MPS non-foil lands. And yes, I intentionally get as much as I can new-frame).

• Did anyone here happen to play me and remember? My name is Jason, i have long and partially shaven red hair, wore a red kilt, and played a value pile of dack/notion/kess/leovold/jaces/tasigur?

I have the names of my opponents but idk if they (you) are on here with what screen name.

• @hierarchnoble First time I've seen Gummi Bears discussed in a mtg commentary.

• @p3temangus where can I find that match recorded? Do you know if there are any YouTube videos or twitch record about the tournament?

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.