2nd Last at EW2017 with Ambush Viper Tempo (10th)

• There was a time we played with Hurkyl's maindeck - or Rack and Ruin or Ancient Grudge. Maybe it is that time again. I don't see why restrict anything right now - specially when we don't know the whole Top 32 story yet.

• @fsecco said in 2nd Last at EW2017 with Ambush Viper Tempo (10th):

There was a time we played with Hurkyl's maindeck - or Rack and Ruin or Ancient Grudge. Maybe it is that time again. I don't see why restrict anything right now - specially when we don't know the whole Top 32 story yet.

I would also be fine with Workshops staying as they are - I feel like this deck, obviously with a rough Game 1 due to the need for Pyroblasts/Mental Missteps/Flusterstorms can fight game 2 and Game 3 readily.

Sidenote: Spell Snare will be in my decks for the forseeable future.

• @13nova I think taking out 2 Pyros for 2 Spell Snare seems quite a healthy choice.

• This post is deleted!

• Been playing about 65 cards worth of this list in the Leagues with solid success. Some thought's...

• Spell Snare has been a beast for me, it's great vs shops on the play, great against the Xerox lists running around as it hits: snapcaster mage, Young Pyromacer, seeker of the way, time walk and abrade. I also ran into standstill where spell snare was a star countering Standstills and Mana drains.

• I've liked abrade maindeck over disenchant, but I can see arguments either way.

• I didn't even try Gifts, party because I usually play late night after work and dont have the mental equity to spare at that point to make good Gifts decisions, and partly because its bugged.

• I thought the list I ran at NYSE was the best deck for Dack Fayden, but my god is Dack a house in this list. I'm very bearish on Jace TMS these days, and am considering dropping a Jace for a third Dack.

• @p3temangus Thanks for the input.

Gifts could very easily be anything else - Balance wasn;'t a card I wanted due to my penchant to put myself in bad situations, trying to over-extend to a blowout. Mystical tutor, another artifact/enchantment spell, engineered explosives, Dack #3. I wouldn't remove Jace, but Dack #3 I highly considered.

• @13nova Although this is fairly obvious, being able to sit on a snapcaster mage with Spell Snare, Pyroblast, Misstep and potentially flusterstorm in the yard is a great feeling.

• @p3temangus Very much so. Rich tried the list yesterday and got steamrolled by Landstill, but his play was to jam Young Pyromancer turn 2, which I believe to be wrong.

This deck plays a lot like the European 1 Gush Psychatog deck did in 2005. You counter big threats, you destroy small threats, and then eventually you play checkmate, usually in one or two turns.

In his game 2, I would have played a fetch and pass to represent both pyroblast AND flusterstorm, then next turn played mountain and had Pyroblast and Flusterstorm up.

Only reason I'm mentioning this is because if you play the deck like one of the Pyromancer decks back in the 4 gush days, or like a Delver deck, you're going to have a bad time. There were PLENTY of times where I preordained a Pyromancer or Mentor to the bottom in order to find cards that extended the game. Their decks are usually not designed to go as long as ours is.

• I'm curious how this list would perform vs 4 maindeck hangarback walkers + 4 maindeck precursor golems. I feel like that's the best shops plan vs mass sweepers/4 snapcasters. Did you face any shops decks running a full package of each?

• @bobbyvictory

I only played against sean o'brien in the main event, but I did enough testing to feel comfortable in that matchup

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.