Vintage 101: Two Years Down

• TMD Supporter

alt text

Hello folks! It occurred to me the other day that Vintage:101 is now two years old. It's been a fun and crazy two years for sure. Vintage has seen a lot of change over the past two years, and there has been a resurgence in Vintage content production as well. Anyways, this week's article will look at a few decks from the Vintage Leagues on Magic Online, but I'll also have a special "thank you" at the end. Enjoy!

P.S. Use this link to upvote the shit out of this on Reddit. Every little shill helping me goes a long way!

Article Linky:

• Congrats on 2 years! I commend anyone who can keep the passion that long. I have a slew of articles I want to write, but (A) I'm not a great writer and (B) I always lose interest after ~1,000 words.

• Administrators

Happy writerversary @Islandswamp :D

• Congrats @Islandswamp !! Your articles are the reason I started playing magic again. Keep up the excellent work Joe!!

• I know sometimes the creative fires are hard to keep tended, but your series is one of the few left dedicated to Vintage.

Congrats and thank you. Your series has been a place I point new members of our vintage league.

• Seems like it's been around so much longer, which says a lot about the quality of the output.

Hope to see a similar post for five years...

• TMD Supporter

Thank you all very much. I didn't realize that it had been that long until I got one of those Facebook memories popping up that said so.

Since I started my new job it's been harder to find time for these, which is evidenced by the fact that I missed a few weeks over the past seven months. I also haven't had as much time to work on each one, and I've worried that the depth of the content has suffered. @jaco 's article the other day is an example of the kind of content that I WANT to write. Still, I'm glad that people like what I'm doing.

• TMD Supporter

Thank you for writing about Vintage. Just the other day I googled one of your older articles to read up on some possible tech for a deck I'm building.

• TMD Supporter

@ydl It's funny to think about now, but the reason I moved on to Legacy and then Vintage was initially because they banned birthing pod. I used to write a weekly article about Modern. I was slowly getting into legacy on mtgo but had kept some modern stuff. One day before the B&R announcement I decided that they'd probably be banning Pod next and sold off Kiki Pod (my last modern deck). From then on I just wanted to play the real eternal formats.

I like Vintage because for the most part you can't have your deck completely taken away. You still get one of your restricted cards to play with. I know people who were sitting on a Pod deck when pod was banned and they lost hundreds of dollars in an afternoon. That never sat well with me.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.