Bazaar of Baghdad beyond Dredge

• So this list is 10 years old, but I always remembered it because of how it used Bazzar. Vin Forino is a known brew master and top notch player. Bazzar does have a level of synergy with dark petition, which is an obvious upgrade to Grim Tutor in this list. Bob is considered unplayable right now because of Ballista, but a list like this could be fun to take for a spin on MTGO!

edit I should qualify this list by stating that it was t8 at worlds in 2007.

Creatures (4)

4 Dark Confidant
    Lands (18)

4 Swamp
    2 Bazaar of Baghdad
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Library of Alexandria
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Strip Mine
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Wasteland
    Spells (38)

1 Black Lotus
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Necropotence
    1 Ancestral Recall
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Demonic Consultation
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Extirpate
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Duress
    3 Grim Tutor
    3 Night's Whisper
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    Sideboard

3 Null Rod
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Darkblast
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Massacre
    1 Wasteland

• @p3temangus I had not thought about combo. There were a few control decks with Replenish but they are too slow. Way back when there was a workshop deck with bazaar.

• Uba shops might not be terrible given how strong Ensnaring Bridge and Null Rod could be in the deck along with not losing as much lock as in the past (since Thorn is restricted). That is the only Bazaar deck that I think avoids a large portion of Dredge hate.

People (including myself) try the Legacy Lands deck in Vintage (boosted by Bazaar) from time to time. Strong MUs against Shops and Dredge. Blue is kind of sketchy though if you can figure out that part of the equation, it could be a good deck.

• I ran into an interesting pile with Bazaars and Squee, Goblin Nabob a couple of months ago. I think the rest of the deck might have been Goblin Welders and gearhulks.

• @hardy it was probably Legion of Doom. That is a very fun list. I’ve tried it before and when it goes well it goes really well but the flip side is sometimes you get obliterated and don’t really do much. But it is a ton of fun

• The OP list could really benefit from Riftstone Portal given you want to cast G spells. I nearly died to the Hollow Vine Bazaar deck at Eternal Weekend. His list is somewhere in that giant PDF at Eternal Central with all the lists.

He played DRS, Duress effects, Orcish Lumberjacks and a suite of basic lands.

• @nedleeds said in Bazaar of Baghdad beyond Dredge:

The OP list could really benefit from Riftstone Portal given you want to cast G spells. I nearly died to the Hollow Vine Bazaar deck at Eternal Weekend. His list is somewhere in that giant PDF at Eternal Central with all the lists.

He played DRS, Duress effects, Orcish Lumberjacks and a suite of basic lands.

All hail the Wayne "The Rock" Johnson.
    0_1510965395793_Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 7.36.20 PM.png

• @whienot Like the list, love the spelling of "Pittspurg."

• A player on mtgo cashed an event this summer with an updated take on Cerebral Assassin. Islandswamp covered it here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/vintage-101-let-s-get-weird.

I've been working on a similar deck for fun on xmage with a lower curve and greater focus on reanimation:

//Fatties and Robots--8
    2x Griselbrand
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Mindslaver
    1x Myr Battlesphere
    1x Oona, Queen of the Fae
    1x Possessed Portal
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Worldgorger Dragon

//Recursion--8
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Goblin Welder

//Spells--14
    1x Demonic Tutor
    4x Duress
    4x Entomb
    4x Mental Misstep
    1x Vampiric Tutor

//Engine--8
    4x Bazaar of Baghdad
    4x Squee, Goblin Nabob

//Mana--22
    1x Black Lotus
    1x Mana Crypt
    1x Mox Emerald
    1x Mox Jet
    1x Mox Opal
    1x Mox Pearl
    1x Mox Ruby
    1x Mox Sapphire
    2x Badlands
    2x Blackcleave Cliffs
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Great Furnace
    1x Mountain
    1x Swamp
    2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Vault of Whispers

It's fun to have multiple angles of attack--welding, reanimating Griselbrand, or winning on the spot with dragon if you have the opening. Squee+Zaar is a fun engine, and Possessed Portal is a card near and dear to my heart. Mindslaver is a fun-of that could/should be another Portal, Dragon, Griselbrand, or even something like Imperial Seal or Faithless Looting. I have Pack Rats in the sb because Leyline, Rest in Peace, and Containment Priest are rough. :D This is still very much a work-in-progress, but I've been having fun with it.

• I really appreciate all the feedback. To summarize, I see an Aggro deck with Basking Rootwalla and Vengevine with Survival of the Fittest from Champs.

There is a Workshop hybrid control deck from about 14yrs ago for Uba Stax that would run Null Rod, Uba Mask, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Resistance. I'm not sure what the creature package would look like for this one.

There is reaminator combo with Animate Dead and Goblin Welder. I want to try a modern day Dragon reanimator based on the meta-game, it would do well against Aggro decks like Shop and Dredge but it will have a difficult time against Blue decks running 12 counters.

I think it may be a trade off worth making since Blue decks now must run main deck artifact hate and the anti-deck spells are becoming more varied due to Dredge sideboard tactics.

I'll post a list a bit later.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.