[RIX] Immortal Sun

• Looks like we're going to get another Staff of Nin-like card, via Reddit noticing the Brazilian MTG Twitter account accidentally tweeting out a preview card early:

Immortal Sun - 6
    Legendary Artifact - M
    Players can't activate Loyalty abilities of Planeswalkers.
    At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card.
    Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
    Creatures you control get +1/+1.

EDIT: card image

alt text

• @kenan seems pretty amazing for the shops SB, potentially > wurmcoil in the mirror match. I will be tested 2x in the board for sure and maybe even one or two main deck

• In Shops mirror this is probably worse than Coercive Portal.

But against control, it's immunity to Dack Fayden is amazing.

• If this is really a card, I look forward to testing it. All of its abilities matter for Shops.

• I don't know how anybody can say this isn't good for shops.
    It shuts down dack fayden
    It counters the sphere effects for yourself
    It keeps your ballistas alive even after you remove all the counters for extra damage.
    It reloads your hand, giving permanent card draw, something shops has always lacked.

Its only drawback is the cost. In a hyper-aggressive ravager deck dropping 6 mana probably isn't worth it. But in any prison style or controllish type shops deck, this seems like an auto-include.

• @khahan In part I agree, but keep in mind that in a prison list, 2 of those 4 abilites are worthless.

"Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast" doesn't REALLY matter because you're already casting your most expensive spell through spheres anyway.

"Creatures you control get +1/+1" hardly matters in a prison shell.

Shutting down PWs (Fayden specially) and drawing cards is probably enough though. One of the reasons Coercive Portal is bad against control is because it can easily be stolen and ruin your game completely.

• Oh, and here it is in all its glory (as a portuguese speaker I can confirm the text is exactly that of the OP)

alt text

• @kenan said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

Looks like we're going to get another Staff of Nin-like card, via [Reddit noticing the Brazilian MTG Twitter account accidentally tweeting out a preview card early]

Good design. I like it a lot. Would be fantastic if it were CMS 3 or at least 4, so we could play it in decks other than Shops, though. Perhaps Goblin Welder can help to bring it into play. Definitely think there are many opportunities to explore with this card.

• I don't know if it will make it in vintage but I do know Commander players are going to be scooping up foil copies of this at an alarming rate.

• TMD Supporter

@protoaddct said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

I don't know if it will make it in vintage but I do know Commander players are going to be scooping up foil copies of this at an alarming rate.

This might be my first foreign card that I'll keep! "O Sol Imortal" just has a really powerful ring to it. Especially if announced to the tune of "O Sole Mio."

• This card has got a laundry list of excellent abilities, but the cost is just too darn high.

It's great against Dack... but at six mana, it'll usually arrive too late to stop Dack from stealing an early-game Hangarback Walker or Foundary Inspector. Even when you're able to power it out early, I'd be awfully nervous about leaning on a six-mana artifact against a deck sporting Abrade and Ancient Grudge colors.

As pointed out above, the Foundry Inspector ability is nearly irrelevant once you're already able to pay 6 mana per turn through your own Spheres.

This card does excel at refilling your hand in the late game. Staff of Nin was replaced by Coercive Portal for this function, since the cheaper cost of the Portal was more important than the extra utility of the Staff. I do agree that Immortal Sun is an upgrade over Staff (not least because getting the Staff stolen by Dack is a huge blowout), but I'm not sure if the extra abilities are worth the two mana.

• @joshuabrooks said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

@protoaddct said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

I don't know if it will make it in vintage but I do know Commander players are going to be scooping up foil copies of this at an alarming rate.

This might be my first foreign card that I'll keep! "O Sol Imortal" just has a really powerful ring to it. Especially if announced to the tune of "O Sole Mio."

Beat me to it!

• Wotc keeps printing cards for shops. Smh. This won't see play anywhere else but edh or shop decks. It's boring if u ask me. The effects matter in shops but otherwise a bland card.

• I for one welcome the Howling Helm of Pithing Crusade. Probably won't amount to much, but at least it's got potential.

• TMD Supporter

@khahan I think the cost reason is exactly the idea though. Is this better than Staff of Nin probably, did that card see any play, not really. Because it cost too much for the payoff. People who think this isn't good for shops think it costs too much. I am not sure, but i think that is the reason that people would say that.

• @ten-ten said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

Wotc keeps printing cards for shops. Smh. This won't see play anywhere else but edh or shop decks. It's boring if u ask me. The effects matter in shops but otherwise a bland card.

I think you mean to say WOTC keeps printing artifacts. Lets be honest, by any metric this card is not crazy on its own. 6 mana is a lot and the effects are not even fully recognizable by some lists. There are plenty of games where there will be no walkers and the +1+1 is win more.

Workshops is the only thing that makes this go from EDH filler to possible format player.

• @garbageaggro said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

@khahan I think the cost reason is exactly the idea though. Is this better than Staff of Nin probably, did that card see any play, not really. Because it cost too much for the payoff. People who think this isn't good for shops think it costs too much. I am not sure, but i think that is the reason that people would say that.

Very valid point. I've used 'it costs too much' to shoot down many cards on this site because it IS a valid argument. I'm just wondering if a grindy prison version of shops would utilize this. Of course that begs the question: why would anybody play a grindy prison version when they can run ravager shops?

With that said, I will squeal like a little girl if I rip this in a draft.

• Years ago, i used staff of Nim in a welder shell and the deck did work very well. That card may fit the same slot. Unfortunately, nowadays the meta is very bad for welder (too many removal around) and any incarnation of control shop i can think of is just below the ravager agro deck. Still, I think i will get a playset of it to be on the safe side and pray for better days.

• @fsecco

The cost reduction certainly matters when you are seeing 2 cards a turn.

This card is clearly better than staff of Nim, but that’s not saying a whole lot. Staff hasn’t been playable in a while, and even when it was it was fringe.

I think 6 mana is just too much in this format to play the card. Especially for a card that doesn’t outright win the game if you don’t respond to it. Drawing multiple cards a turn is worse for agro decks than it is for any other deck style in vintage. The only thing you are looking for is more threats. While this does pump your board (a 6 mana non-creature chief of the foundry) or stop a planewalker (6 mana phyrexian revoker), it still will take at least 2 turns to impact the board (remember shops plays around 26 mana sources) by replacing itself with a new threat. That’s the math on it, and the math isn’t good for a 6 mana spell.

Compare it to Wurmcoil (a card I think is overplayed and pretty awful in shops), at least if that card isn’t responded to, it wins the game by itself. This card only makes you draw more cards, it’s pretty meh.

• @gkraigher said in [RIX] Immortal Sun:

Compare it to Wurmcoil (a card I think is overplayed and pretty awful in shops), at least if that card isn’t responded to, it wins the game by itself. This card only makes you draw more cards, it’s pretty meh.

You can't compare it with Wurmcoil because they're meant for different matchups. Wurmcoil never comes in against Dack Fayden decks, this does.

ps: I also think the cost is too high for modern aggro shops

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.