This is actually a 4-drop in Vintage. So its comparable is Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Very much harder to play turn 1, but easier to play turn 2, and both probably hit the sweet spot in turn 3. It's overall impact of the game seems... broadly similar? A personal Howling Mine that also had an inefficient but non-trivial impact on the board. A pseudo-planeswalker that trumps other actual planeswalkers in grind mirrors. Don't know how to really evaluate that cost reducer at this rate though.

It won't fit in Ravager aggro in the same way that you'd never even think of JTMS in Delver, if you care at all about your mana curve.

But if you ever cared to move away from the tempo aggro positioning when play Workshop, it's conceivable to see this as a grindy curve-topper to a grindy strategy that attempts to extract max rate per card (JTMS in every success Island-based grindy strategy in the decade setting a precedent)

This feels way more cohesive than Staff of Nin. The first three abilities line up way better. The fourth one is just weird though.

last edited by ribby

@ribby

How is this a 4 drop? Are you assuming you will always have a shop, because that is a bad assumption.

@fsecco

I’m just comparing it to vintage relevant cards that have the same mana cost, and actually impact the board tremendously when they hit. This card has marginal impact when it hits, it’s a “Morale” for that turn then does absolutely nothing more until your opponents turn if they have a planewalker, otherwise you have to wait an entire full turn before it replaces itself with a card.

Meanwhile, if you landed an actual threat like Steel Hellkite you could potentially win the game on the spot if it isn’t answered.

last edited by gkraigher

@gkraigher Shop decks produce 1.5 mana per mana source on average. For higher cost cards the variance in the mana quantization is not significant.

@gkraigher I understand that that's why you're comparing them. What I'm saying is that doing that is like comparing Pyroblast and Smelt.

Views