MKM Series dropping Vintage

• According to the schedule of MKM Frankfurt and pretty obvious by looking at the banners, MKM Series is dropping Vintage as a Main Event, hosting only a 4 round event and on Friday to boot, at least that day one will not have to pay the "entrance to the venue" fee. To be fair attendance was quite low unless a group (Spanish players usually) decided to travel to attend one in a foreign country.

Less tournaments is always bad, but this might make Vintage players more willing to attend the few we have left (two Ovinos, Nebraska War and the ?eventual? EW EU) whose TOs hopefully will want to capitalize on that by improving the quality.

On a side note Nebraska War had more players for Vintage on Friday than Old School on Saturday, hopefully next year we'll have the better day slot for an even bigger turn out.

• Perhaps someone else can find the statement but I believe this was done because WotC wouldn't give premiere status to their Vintage event.

• Apparently it was just due to low attendance and the lack of any profit.

• These are really sad news for the Eternal Euro circuit.

There is no profit because things are poorly done and prices are ridiculous. Why I say that? Because BoM is a clear example of things done well, big entrance fees but corresponding prices.

Vintage is dying in Europe, if these things start to happen, there is no turning back.

Hope we can organize an Open in Barcelona sometime in the future for Vintage and OldSchool...I know it is not much, but at least it is better than nothing. If we can do it as isolated individuals, a great organization like MKM or BoM should also try at least to keep the community alive.

• Long are gone the days of BoM's Annecy, look at what they did with the two EWs EU and the lack of news about the next one.

• I offered myself to do some coverage in situ for Old School and Vintage as I was doing it anyway via Twitter and they refused....

• There were long 'discussions' about this on Facebook. The organizators of MKM Series claimed many things from Wizards not allowing them to get premier status, low attendance (true), that they were losing money or that Wizards is pushing them into Limited.

(getting 1 point from the Vintage and Legacy events felt really, really bad. Thanks to that I don't have enough points for another season)

I may have not organized a very big event like this yet, but all what they claimed as reasons to drop Vintage are things they could have just simply fixed instead of using that as an excuse (that's how it feels to me). Getting premier status for an event is not actually that difficult, the problem comes when Trials are involved because those have to be set in advance. That requires time and also more will from the LGS that would want to run them.

Vintage is dropped as an main event and there will be a 4 round Challenge event instead.

I don't think that Vintage is dying in Europe there were more and more players, they just had a hard time attending events.

BoM is actually the reason why Vintage started to die in the first place because they were really doing events for their profit in a harmful way for the players instead of trying to find some kind of balance between profiting and also making the players happy. That's one of the reasons many players didn't go to the first EW. They lost their trust and that is something that is very difficult to earn back.

The last several MKM events were seriously bad in terms of everything. Events capped at the prizes' treshold for example is something that doesn't look good, especially if you know that the place actually could hold about 80+ players more and at least those that got byes for the event could be let in. If you want many 'funny' stories just talk to me and I'll tell you how it looked like in Germany and Czech Republic.

JK is starting their own series instead of doing MKM. So we'll see how that will go. I'm not really sure how many players will be willing to come for the Vintage events though.
    http://jk-entertainment.de/die-jk-series-kommt-terminplanung-und-alle-infos-bisher/

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.