Vintage door prizes?

• Howdy guys. I'm involved in setting up a series of Vintage tournaments in Austin. We'd like to give away 2-3 door prizes at each event. I was hoping to crowdsource ideas for fun Vintage-related door prizes in the $10-20 range.

So far we have a playset of RK Post Power 9 & Storm Count tokens. If you were playing in a $10 event, what other stuff might you appreciate as door prizes?

(As context, this is a 100% proxy event, and I expect a lot of participants will be relatively new to Vintage.)

• Administrators

Hrm.... can't go wrong with cards (either vintage staples or packs of an eternal set like iconic/eternal masters) but if you're looking for but some non-card options with a vintage feel ...

OriginalMagicArt tokens
    KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves
    A stack of 200 basic lands and a pack of Sharpies
    Boogie Board (the life pad, not the beach toy)
    Magic Online tickets (this requires some effort probably)
    Gift Certificate to Eternal Central or SCG/CFB Premium

and/or

A copy of Understanding Gush!

• World Championship blank cards EG
    • Pimp basics
    • Complete sets of the Rock/Paper/Scissors cards - These can be acquired cheaper if you don't mind sourcing each card from different vendors
    • Pimp or weird versions of staples that can be acquired cheaply - I've got a foil STP and a foil Diminishing Returns (both from EMA) that were given to me. I got Korean Treasure Crusies at like a nickle each
    • Good dice or other supplies
    • Discount or gift card or something to the brewery you're hosting at (ours gives free beer to first place - a $12-18 value

• @stuart said in Vintage door prizes?:

Howdy guys. I'm involved in setting up a series of Vintage tournaments in Austin. We'd like to give away 2-3 door prizes at each event. I was hoping to crowdsource ideas for fun Vintage-related door prizes in the $10-20 range.

So far we have a playset of RK Post Power 9 & Storm Count tokens. If you were playing in a $10 event, what other stuff might you appreciate as door prizes?

(As context, this is a 100% proxy event, and I expect a lot of participants will be relatively new to Vintage.)

With so many players new to vintage some cheap staples would be good. Packs of Iconic masters. A playmat. If you have local artists willing to donate a few maybe some nicely done up proxies.

Honestly you could even do coupons for store credit - sound boring. But the way you do the door prizes and sometimes just simply having them is what works.

• Cheers guys - all great suggestions!

• Get together a pool of some inexpensive Vintage staples that cover several deck archetypes, cards like Foundry Inspector, Phyrexian Revoker, Flame-Kin Zealot, Ichorid, Brainstorm, Ponder, Dark ritual. Make sure you have one card for everyone in attendance and have everyone sign them at some point throughout the event, you can also put the date and location or name of the event on the cards as well. At the end of the event you can draft the signed cards in whatever order you choose, usually starting from the bottom of the standings and working up is good as the people at the top likely already got some form of prize from the event. Everybody gets a group-signed Vintage playable card and has good way to remember the day. It was something we started doing at our Old School events but could very easily be done at any event for any format!

Here's a picture of the Mind's Desire I got from the last Vintage event we ran in Chicago.
    alt text

• As @cup noted above, what we have done in Chicagoland is have everybody sign a bunch of cheap tournament staples (all under $1-2 each) before the tournment, and then draft them in reverse order of finish after the tournament (so last place drafts first). I donated the entire pool of these for the 18 person event above, and another 32 person event (TSI) and it cost me about $25 total, and people seem to love those cards, and a reminder of an event they had fun with friends at. Things like Ingot Chewer, Stinkweed Imp, and Foundry Inspector are about $.25 each, while Brainstorm, Ponder, Mind's Desire, and more are all about a buck or less each. There are many ways to go with this, but we started doing that for Old School a few years ago, and it is a great affordable mechanism for community building, which is more personal than something like sleeves or packs. If you have more people donating playable black bordered cards in to an ongoing local pool that's even better.

• Cheers @cup and @JACO . I’ve gotten signed cards a few times (EC Old School and the Goyfvitational) and loved them, so that could be good. Was getting an EC-stamp made difficult?

• @stuart said in Vintage door prizes?:

Cheers @cup and @JACO . I’ve gotten signed cards a few times (EC Old School and the Goyfvitational) and loved them, so that could be good. Was getting an EC-stamp made difficult?

No, you can basically just go online and look up custom stamps and have one made online, and have it to your door within 2-3 weeks or so.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.