Induced Amnesia

• TMD Supporter

@kistrand

Yes maybe in a vacuum, Outcome presents an easier path to take if your mission is just sleeve something up and draw cards.

So just to be clear, you also experienced drawing a lot of cards with Induced Amnesia? You just didn’t have mana?

• @desolutionist Yeah, I drew cards like crazy so that wasn't the problem, clearly the mana. But still early days testing it out.

• I've carried on doing a bit more testing. Now I skipped the storm shell and tried tuning a mentor/pyromancer list with induced amnesia as draw engine/token generator. Colors UWRG to support Fastbond and one Sylvan Library and ancient grudges in sideboard to have a shot against Shops. Ways to get rid of IA are 4 x pyroblast and 3 Active volcano (can also be used as a tempo play to set opponent back on land drops) in main deck, and 4 x simplify in sideboard since it pulls double duty against oath. For sure a "for fun" deck but not too shabby results thus far. Obscene card drawing sometimes, so much that I contemplated running one copy of learn from the past to not deck myself :)

• TMD Supporter

@kistrand

Why not Nature’s Claim rather than Active Volcano? Ray of Revalation? Have you tried Abjure or Hatching Plans?

• @desolutionist good point. I thought about focusing things to red for some reason, and try weird/surprising cards, and just overlooked nature's claim (though I usually have those in my sideboard). I've tested abjure and it might come back in, it sometimes just felt that I wasn't entirely in control of when I cracked my induced amnesia, but that's probably more of an issue when hoping to storm of in one turn. Ray of revelation is really smart due to the flashback so you have one in the graveyard for destroying the next induced amnesia with. I'll definitely test that.

• I don't know that this is necessarily Vintage-relevant, but I put this card into a casual deck to experiment. I can vouch for the fact that, if you have an Auratog on the battlefield, a control deck packing Hatching Plans and Induced Amnesia draws so many cards.

• TMD Supporter

Hey!!! Auratog! Great idea!! I will 100% run Auratog.dec tomorrow in the challenge.

• After testing various variants of decks with IA in them, I would say that the most consistent version probably is one with Ray of Revelation and Pyroblast to destroy the IA. @desolutionist already mentioned the idea of Ray of Revelation, so I take no credit for that : ). To have cards that destroy IA which don't get exiled by it (such as RoR in the graveyard) is really important. The list I'm currently using is trying to leverage Dack Fayden's loot ability by not only running RoR, but also by adding a few other flashback spells (Deep analysis, Mystic retrieval). I currently run three copies of IA which I've found to be enough. My thinking on IA is card drawing engine, not go-off engine. Sure, if you have Mentor on the table you kind of just "go off" but, in most cases IA just draws cards to give you enormous amount of options.

• TMD Supporter

Im hoping to have time to test tonight. My idea has the same root but splits into two different directions.

The first thing I want to do is set aside the latter part of the combo with the first IA. (Emrakul or Thought-Knot Seer). And the second thing I want to do is cheat those higher costed things into play once they’ve been added back to my hand. (Goryo’s Vengeance or Aether Vial)

AEther Vial seems like it could be a nice way to not get bottle necked once you’ve established card advantage, and alternatively Goryo’s Vengeance + Emrakul is a combo that should probably be seeing play in Vintage.

• @desolutionist How did it go?

Incidentally, I did some more digging around and I think Faith Healer is probably better positioned than Auratog to be your Hatching Plans / Amenisa monkey here. At least possibly. Aurarog is rarely going to get all that big by eating enchantments, so perhaps you're better suited gaining the life. Better tribe, too.

EDIT: Also - and I'm not sure anyone has said this explicitly yet - this is actually a straight up "2U: opponent exiles their hand" if you have a way to sac or kill this at instant speed. Put the ETB trigger on the stack, point at opponent, retain, priority, nuke it. LTB trigger goes off, returns no cards to the opponent. ETB triggers resolves, exiles their hand.

I am hitting myself for not seeing that, but Steve and Kevin pointed this out on SMIP.

• How is I_A exile their hand with a pyroblast?
    They still get to draw as many cards as they have in their hand? Sure, the return clause returns 0 cards to their hand but then the etb effect still is tolarian winds if I'm not mistaken.

• TMD Supporter

@peterflugzeug

When the ETB trigger, -exile the hand-, is on the stack, Pyroblast the IA. Then the -draw zero cards- is put on the stack which resolves before -exile the hand-

• @maximumcdawg said in Induced Amnesia:

EDIT: Also - and I'm not sure anyone has said this explicitly yet - this is actually a straight up "2U: opponent exiles their hand" if you have a way to sac or kill this at instant speed. Put the ETB trigger on the stack, point at opponent, retain, priority, nuke it. LTB trigger goes off, returns no cards to the opponent. ETB triggers resolves, exiles their hand.
    I am hitting myself for not seeing that, but Steve and Kevin pointed this out on SMIP.

They didn't say that in the podcast, and the card doesn't do that. The opponent still draws equal to hand size.

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco

They did say that and the card does do that... it’s 2UR exile opponents hand

• @desolutionist They didn't. They said if you know what's in the opponents hand you might want to exile it, even if they draw new cards.

alt text

The first trigger exiles AND makes the player draw. So you can't just exile without drawing.

• The 2UR trick will exile their hand with no (reasonable) way to get those cards back, but they still draw cards equal to those exiled.

• TMD Supporter

This post is deleted!

• TMD Supporter

Ok I see now that the draw and exile triggers are one in the same

WAF/WHF