Brass Man's Eternal Weekend 2017 Report

• http://themanadrain.com/ew2017

This one's ... a bit different from the sort of stuff I usually post on TMD, so it felt like I should treat it a little differently than I would a more traditional tournament report.

There's not a ton of magic strategy in here, but I think there should be something for most vintage players. It took a little bit out of me to get this finished, I hope you like it.

• Nice post, Andy. Sounds a lot like what mine would've sounded like if I'd remembered to write it.

I nod and shrug, "You got me!" It's easier than explaining to my opponent that sometimes I just throw away games and I'm not entirely sure why. He played the game well, there's no reason for me to make a fuss about it.

Are you me?

• Oh my god that was GREAT. Considering I know the rest of the teammates on the Serious Crew, it made it even better because I could visualize exactly what everyones state was all weekend.

It was wierd being refered to as 'Mike'.

• Nice write-up!

Did you ever test lightning bolt in your list? It was better than acceptable as removal to me, and i played 2. It's fine winning with the Pyro, Kess, or Chandra in a control deck but i also found myself in a few games where i untapped with Kess and 'bolted' the opponent for 9.

Did you have any really backbreaking insane or unusual plays with Kess's ability? I had some really fun ones but i don't want to humble brag on your post. I just love Kess, heh.

• TMD Supporter

Jimmy had a box of Vintage Champs decks? That sounds awesome. I wish I had known; I would have tried to get in on that action.

• Wonderful read. Thank you for sharing.

• It was a pleasure to read you.
    As I meet a lot of assholes in Eternal WeekEnd Europe, it's a pleasure to see there are still decent and kind magic players. I don't know what you are looking like, just hope we could play some games if you happen to come in France for EWE 2018.

• Great read; kind of nice it is a few months later; memories come back. I was staying in the room you guys "yangtimed" to death; I remember finding the partial bottle of Ardbeg in the evening....

• @sovarius said in Brass Man's Eternal Weekend 2017 Report:

Nice write-up!

Thanks!

Did you ever test lightning bolt in your list? It was better than acceptable as removal to me, and i played 2. It's fine winning with the Pyro, Kess, or Chandra in a control deck but i also found myself in a few games where i untapped with Kess and 'bolted' the opponent for 9.

I considered it but didn't test it. It seems pretty reasonable to me. I think Abrade is better against the field, and Shattering Spree (with my 4 Volc/2 Mountain manabase) was better against shops, and those were the spots it was fighting with. Still, I don't hate it.

Did you have any really backbreaking insane or unusual plays with Kess's ability? I had some really fun ones but i don't want to humble brag on your post. I just love Kess, heh.

Kess has been a ton of fun. I built my list to support value plays rather than big combo turns, though I did get to pull off the Demonic Tutor->Time Walk->Time Walk->Demonic Tutor->Ancestral->Ancestral chain at least once ... (though I believe my opponent scooped well before it all resolved). When building the deck I had a lot of plays that I had considered building around and opted not to. My favorite?

Hand: Kess, Mystical Tutor, nothing else

• Play Kess, pass.
    • on upkeep, Mystical for Time Walk. Cast Time Walk, Play Mystical from Graveyard getting Tinker
    • Go to Walk turn, play Tinker for Blightsteel, cast Time Walk from yard
    • Go to Second Walk turn, kill you.

Ultimately I though I could get more mileage out of using it more like a Planeswalker than a combo engine (and I still think that), but there is a LOT more to this card than people seem to realize.

• @brass-man

Great read. The way you handled the situation with the nervous player during the feature match reminded me of a similar experience I had.

Wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember the event, but I played against you once in the finals of one of the GP Samite vintage events on the north shore. It must have been around 2005. I bring this up because in the first game of the match, I accidentally drew 8 cards and had to take a forced mulligan. I was visibly tough on myself about making such a careless mistake, and was clearly nervous (it was the first time I'd been in the finals of a vintage event, and an Ancestral was on the line). You made an effort to allay my anxiety and frustration. I then proceeded to start with Mox, Orchard, Oath with Force backup in both games. You were equally classy about losing to those absurd starts from a total scrub. Just wanted to say that the way you have handled these situations is appreciated and has surely benefitted the community.

• @senor_bisquick thanks!

I'm definitely not always the classy guy when it comes to MtG, so writing/reading stuff like this is a good reminder to myself about how important that stuff is.

• TMD Supporter

This is a great report and I thank you for taking the time to write it, edit it, and offer it to us. I loved the style, the transitions and it was a fun read. Even better, it equally conjures the atmosphere of a EW for a veteran and someone who has never been to one before. Great read!

P.S. I especially liked the insights into your thoughts ("does this player know me?" "Is having Kess be my only foil suspicious?", etc). Really added a lot to the story.

• TMD Supporter

@Brass-Man in reference to the Hurkyl’s Recall ownership play. Anyway, from a personal perspective I like for my players to call me out on my mistakes. I obviously don’t speak for everyone, but I feel if an opponent lets me make the mistake, I’m more likely to learn from said mistake. I don’t like taking things back in a tournament setting. We’ve all made mistakes, so I think it was a good learning opportunity for your opponent.

After all, I am pretty awesome at making a lot of boneheaded mistakes. One might say exceptionally good.

Obviously he might think differently and curses you before going to bed and plots his revenge.

• Awesome report.

Thing that stood out the most: strong sense of melancholy - which is somehow what I often feel with Magic too.

• Great report - thanks @Brass-Man . As @mugginsman said, it was kinda nice getting this a few months after the fact, really brought me back to EW.

• Beautiful.

• @Brass-Man great report, would love to get together with team serious one day for a few drinks but unfortunately im just a casual vintage player and not ready for anything more than an occasional local vintage FNM where I usually lose. Maybe I'll swing by the next NYSE and say hello since I'm on LI. Keep up the good work!

• TMD Supporter

@mcfreiz By what you said, while I'm not on Team Serious 😞 , it sounds like you're more on their wave length then not. It's not about being great at vintage. 🙂

*Edit: Now it sounds like I said you're a bad player. Haha Totally not what I meant... walking away now.

• Great report, Andy. Reminded me of some of the old TMD.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

• TMD Supporter

@mcfreiz are you in ohio or nearby? Come to the next tso, I think it is Sandusky!

WAF/WHF