StarCityGames Power 9 Vintage Tournament - 6/8-6/10

@p3temangus said in StarCityGames Power 9 Vintage Tournament - 6/8-6/10:

@nucleosynth Steve's fantastic history of the P9 Series makes many references to the underwhelming attendance that these events often pulled, most frequently with the Richmond events. Those were all 5 or 10 "playtest" cards as well. While I am planning to attend with borrowed power, I hope this does not end up with 65 people who all traveled a long way, because that would likely be the end of any possibility of regenerating this series, even on an annual basis.

This event will top 200 people minimum.

@nedleeds Nothing would make me happier! The decline of these events was TREMENDOUS factor in my sell-out of 2006/7. Getting them back, especially with NYSE and Waterbury way up the air would be fantastic.

Yeah, when Vintage Champs just got 427 I’m sure this will do fine.

I do think this will kill NYSE at least this year

@nedleeds Hard to be sure. NYSE allows proxies...

@nucleosynth No sanctioned vintage tournaments allow proxies.

@nucleosynth said in StarCityGames Power 9 Vintage Tournament - 6/8-6/10:

@nedleeds Hard to be sure. NYSE allows proxies...

Being sanctioned will draw more people than it turns away.

While I feel bad for those that don't have connections for power, I sold my power and duals in 2014 and within 5 minutes of posting "Guess I'm going to Roanoke in June" had two people messaging me asking if I needed their Power for the weekend.

@nucleosynth I'm not even remotely thinking about attending. I don't like to travel far, it's tough to get time off, I don't want to take time off for myself and not include my wife and son, I don't have a set of power anyway, and so on. I'm glad they're trying the event though. I just hope it doesn't wind up getting very few attendees due to the lack of proxies, then have SCG use that as an excuse to say "see, Vintage can't draw a crowd!".

@islandswamp This will draw a HUGE crowd. I'm betting we'll see some faces we haven't seen since the original SCG Power 9 days.

Someone call Fuckin' Lou.

@13nova Someone hunt down Eric Becker! Let him know Dark Petition was printed and he can update pitchlong.

Yeah it’s like a GP over two days for 30 players.

The last SCG in Roanoke has 60 players with 10 proxy; it’s very out of the way and far from most Vintage playing communities. They were willing to allow 10 proxies for when Lotus was around $500, but now that it costs 8 times more, proxies aren’t allowed. There’s not a chance in hell they break even on this. NYSE in a central location struggled to break even with 15 proxy.

There will be more players in the Vintage challenge that Saturday than there will be in Roanoke, VA

last edited by desolutionist

I'm planning to go and I live near Boston (I own power, for the record). I have no illusions of actually winning, but I just hope the experience is close to what Champs offers. Hopefully there are enough dealers there to make it worthwhile, too.

@enderfall

If by dealer you mean SCG, there will
Be one...

@desolutionist They have dealers rotate around the country for their Open's, why would this be any different?

@enderfall

Because it’s at their store. And last time they just had their store as a dealer.

It's not at their store. I determined this by looking at this page of the website: http://scgcon.starcitygames.com/location.php#top

There are indeed non-SCG vendors. I determined this by looking at this page of the website: http://scgcon.starcitygames.com/vendors.php#top

My super power is the ability to read websites.

@desolutionist said in StarCityGames Power 9 Vintage Tournament - 6/8-6/10:

Yeah it’s like a GP over two days for 30 players.

The last SCG in Roanoke has 60 players with 10 proxy; it’s very out of the way and far from most Vintage playing communities. They were willing to allow 10 proxies for when Lotus was around $500, but now that it costs 8 times more, proxies aren’t allowed. There’s not a chance in hell they break even on this. NYSE in a central location struggled to break even with 15 proxy.

There will be more players in the Vintage challenge that Saturday than there will be in Roanoke, VA

I call this. What's your wager?

This event has hype because unlike before, there AREN'T 6 of these a year.

Views