@nba84

I'm not sure if I missed something, but I don't see Bitterblossom as helpful against. Eldrazi. How do you figure?

IF Eldrazi were to make an emergence back into the format, I would just use baleful strix.

I would also add Glissa The Traitor if we are talking strictly an on-color anti aggro card.

I only bring up white eldrazi because the local meta in Austin, TX had a few white eldrazi decks in the top 8 of the last tournament. I like adding baleful in.

last edited by bscheidemann

Hi all. Reid Duke posted a list and played a few rounds with a deck quite similar to the original one posted here:

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/4-color-confidant-homebrew-vintage-channel-reid/

Differences Reid's deck mainboard:
-1 Lightning Bolt
-1 Dire Fleet Daredevil
-1 Sylvan Library (which I think is a momentous mistake)
-1 BOB

+1 JVP
+1 DRS
+1 Kolaghans Command
+1 Ancient Grudge

The sideboards differ considerably, as they should, since the meta has shifted heavily since February when the above deck was invented. Conspicuously Reid's board eschews GY hate for further artifact hate in the shape of Null Rods and creature hate with Fatal Pushes.

Please note that there is a grave deckbuilding faux pas with a singleton Mountain in the SB yet Polluted Deltas as the 4-offs in the mainboard.

Personally, I don't believe that this deck is currently as well positioned as in January/February, partially due to the fact that it was constructed to beat Workshop based decks through attrition (rather than speed), whilst holding the Jeskai decks at bay through taxing their cantrips through Pyroblast/Mental Misstep.

As the meta has pivoted heavily towards Paradoxical Outcome based decks, the speed of the format has somewhat increased.

If I were to pick this deck up again, my major changes to both my own deck and Reid's would be a bigger focus on storm decks through Mindbreak Traps in the SB.

All the best,
NBA

@nba84 I think this just goes to prove that the format isn't Fow vs Shops vs Combo. I play survival salad and I think once/if Outcome gets restricted decks decks like this will shine. That being said I played against a version of this today with me being on Survival Salad and had a much harder time vs this than regular Fow Leo decks. Your card's grinded better and it was nearly impossible to get advantage through your kill spells unlike at 2 for 1 with force.

@p3temangus I like glissa a ton. I played her in Jund Traverse in modern for eldrazi decks or anything with little removal and she is insane. Unlike balefu she doesn;t have CA but I guess not dying to pyroblast has some utility vs blue right?
I imagine her vs shops being very good in conjunction with null rod shutting down ballista and very good vs the other leo decks goyfs. Better than stix as she could block multiple times tho if they don't attack into strix that is irrelevant.

Edit: Basic land may not be a faux pas; I have played "budget" UR delver with delta's in place of tarns and still ran a basic mountain as drawing it was still very good vs shops.

last edited by bleedth3sky

(Leovold is sometimes countered by rebs and then is just a 1-1, so maybe you need a cavern)

last edited by YakuzaXRock

@bleedth3sky the faux pas wasn't in the logic of having a basic in the board, but rather fetchlands in the main that cannot fetch for it.

Hello all,

I've been preparing Blue Jund for a post-Lavinia metagame; namely one that revolves around the successful resolution of the creature (either through FoWing it through or perhaps via Cavern).

Blue jund was a logical consideration due partly to its non-reliance on FoW and a heavy non-xerox manabase.

However, with a decline in Oath observable in the meta with a steady increase in Paradoxical Outcome; the life-total within any given 'blue' based matchup has altered.

To qualify my statement relating to the my expectation of the post-Lavinia meta might rotate around a bifocal axis a) decks that utilise her to disrupt the opponent to assemble their own combo (Paradox) b) decks that utilise her to hate out a combo (Xerox, Humans). The third way is perhaps to assemble as to not be affected by her non-symetrical effect to the same degree.

Partially in celebration of @Brass-Man (currently at the time of writing) playing Death's Shadow in the VSL, I have reconfigured the deck as to capitalise on the life-loss which Sylvan Library/Thoughtseize had exacerbated in the decks previous iteration. Further to this, I have observed a reduction in StP in the meta, replaced by sweepers and lightning bolts. Thus the channelfireball legacy tech of Reanimate seems like an interesting possibility. Reanimating a Vengevine, Grave Troll or such like seems quite powerful on a secondary axis.

Lastly, Lavinia itself seems to punish a) heavy moxen decks, b) FoW/MindbreakT/Misstep decks, c) delve decks; and Blue Jund simply does not play those (4x misstep, but they are almost exclusively for removal).

// 60 Maindeck
// 6 Artifact
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Null Rod

// 13 Creature
3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Dark Confidant
1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
1 Snapcaster Mage
3 Death's Shadow

// 1 Enchantment
1 Sylvan Library

// 13 Instant
1 Brainstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
2 Pyroblast
3 Mental Misstep
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Flusterstorm
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Snuff Out

// 18 Land
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
1 Tropical Island
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
2 Wasteland
1 Steam Vents
2 Watery Grave
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Dack Fayden

// 7 Sorcery
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Time Walk
3 Thoughtseize
2 Reanimate
1 Deep Analysis

// 15 Sideboard
SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
SB: 3 Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 Pyroblast
SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

I have discussed the different metas previously, but the new deck on the block is Survival.

Survival Strategy
Deathrite Shaman is an initial Venngevine/Squee removal
Leovold is anti-Bazaar, albeit slow
Reanimate is Vengevine tech for your deck
Dack is Hollow one's foil

Post-SB the deck can play Leyline, however that might be overkill. Ancient Grudge takes care of Hollow one if needed.

Final thoughts I will reserve after perhaps some community discussion; but as I am not a streamer perhaps @ChubbyRain could make a new take on his much lauded Blue Jund alternative.

All the best,
NBA

last edited by Guest

Planning on streaming a variant of this later with Cindervines. I wanted to test the card out and the Deathrite Shaman + Lightning Bolt shell seemed like a good way of making the incidental damage from Cindervines matter. It also helps in the PO matchup (which has become less common since Lavinia has seen frequent play) and blows up Survival or Hollow One, which are much more common. But yeah, if decks are running Lavinia, I feel now is a good time to revisit a deck that omits Force of Will.

Lost round 5 to not having a stop set on MTGO, which was a rough way to end the stream but the deck finished 3-2. Force of Wills weren't really needed in non-PO matchups and if the deck continues to be suppressed by Lavinia, I think the deck remains viable. Cindervines was also a decent addition in the round 4 match against a Esper Gifts deck but we got turn 2 Blightsteeled on the play game 3.

Views