Tournament series points system?

• Morning everyone!

After our first Romancing The Stones event well, we'd like to continue it as a tournament series for 2018. We'll be running events every 4-8 weeks, which we want to culminate in a year-end championship invitational. To that end, I need to come up with a points/leaderboard system to track who gets invited to the championship.

Ideally, we'd like to reward both consistent attendance and performance. Can anyone recommend a good points system for this? Here's what I have so far:

Attendance/participation:

• X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)

Performance:

• Option A: Earn points based on match wins. (E.g. 5-0 earns 5 points, 4-1 earns 4 points, etc.)
    • Option B: Earn points for Top 4 or Top 8 appearances. (E.g. 1st place earns 5 points, 3rd place earns 2 points, etc.)
    • Some combination of A and B: Maybe earns points based on match wins, and earn bonus points for Top 8 appearances?

• Posting this in both forums that you asked in.

One thing to keep in mind is to ask yourself what it is that you want to reward.

I know that you're wanting to both reward attendance and results. But you don't want people gaming the system. I once played 60 lands for four rounds in a Standard tournament in order to hit the points minimum for a monthly points system that gave 1 point per round played.

X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)

I might be misreading this. Are you saying 1 point for the first tournament, 2 for the second, etc? If so, I'm not a fan of that. We're all adults and it's a real kick in the teeth that I've got to work this weekend and I'm going to lose several points because my streak is broken - I don't just lose this week's points, I lose this week's points for every week that follows.

My thoughts:

• Reward attendance
    • Reward continuing to play when no longer live for top 8/4
    • Reward strong results

When we did the Houston invitational, the first thing we looked at on invites was attendance numbers. So we'd be award that heavily.

A few ideas:

Heavy emphasis on showing up:

• 1 point for every player in the tournament you're in
    • 1 point for every player ranked below you at the end

Mixed emphasis:

• 5 (?) points for showing up
    • 3 points per match win

Heavy emphasis on results - track and field style

• 5 points for 1st
    • 3 points for 2nd
    • 1 point for 3rd

Don't forget that we publish results for every event so you've got a year of data you could play with.

WAF/WHF