Tournament series points system?
Stuart last edited by
After our first Romancing The Stones event well, we'd like to continue it as a tournament series for 2018. We'll be running events every 4-8 weeks, which we want to culminate in a year-end championship invitational. To that end, I need to come up with a points/leaderboard system to track who gets invited to the championship.
Ideally, we'd like to reward both consistent attendance and performance. Can anyone recommend a good points system for this? Here's what I have so far:
- X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)
- Option A: Earn points based on match wins. (E.g. 5-0 earns 5 points, 4-1 earns 4 points, etc.)
- Option B: Earn points for Top 4 or Top 8 appearances. (E.g. 1st place earns 5 points, 3rd place earns 2 points, etc.)
- Some combination of A and B: Maybe earns points based on match wins, and earn bonus points for Top 8 appearances?
thecravenone last edited by
Posting this in both forums that you asked in.
One thing to keep in mind is to ask yourself what it is that you want to reward.
I know that you're wanting to both reward attendance and results. But you don't want people gaming the system. I once played 60 lands for four rounds in a Standard tournament in order to hit the points minimum for a monthly points system that gave 1 point per round played.
X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)
I might be misreading this. Are you saying 1 point for the first tournament, 2 for the second, etc? If so, I'm not a fan of that. We're all adults and it's a real kick in the teeth that I've got to work this weekend and I'm going to lose several points because my streak is broken - I don't just lose this week's points, I lose this week's points for every week that follows.
- Reward attendance
- Reward continuing to play when no longer live for top 8/4
- Reward strong results
When we did the Houston invitational, the first thing we looked at on invites was attendance numbers. So we'd be award that heavily.
A few ideas:
Heavy emphasis on showing up:
- 1 point for every player in the tournament you're in
- 1 point for every player ranked below you at the end
- 5 (?) points for showing up
- 3 points per match win
Heavy emphasis on results - track and field style
- 5 points for 1st
- 3 points for 2nd
- 1 point for 3rd
Don't forget that we publish results for every event so you've got a year of data you could play with.