Any Vintage or Old School at GP NYC?

• TMD Supporter

Anyone know if there will be any Vintage or Old School at GP NYC?

• CFB is running an Old School side event on Sunday morning. Here is the full schedule:

http://www.gpny2016.com/mobile_schedule

• As a public service announcement, they have some of their own rules it seems, slightly different than Eternal Central... Here's a write-up they just did:

http://www.channelfireball.com/old-school-9394-magic-rules/

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/new-format-old-school/

• @Loukayza Thanks for pointing that out. It would be nice if everyone could settle on one set of rules, but I think the Swedes really make things difficult by not allowing Revised. The format can't grow (and it's arguable if it can grow even with Revised/Chronicles allowed) if limited to just the Limited sets and early Expansions, which the EC/CFB/NYOS crew seem to understand. that said, the CFB and EC rules are very similar. The difference is basically that CFB restricts Strip Mine and adds the book promos Arena and Sewers of Estark

• @enderfall said:

@Loukayza Thanks for pointing that out. It would be nice if everyone could settle on one set of rules, but I think the Swedes really make things difficult by not allowing Revised. The format can't grow (and it's arguable if it can grow even with Revised/Chronicles allowed) if limited to just the Limited sets and early Expansions, which the EC/CFB/NYOS crew seem to understand. that said, the CFB and EC rules are very similar. The difference is basically that CFB restricts Strip Mine and adds the book promos Arena and Sewers of Estark

EC also allows the promos: eternalcentral.com/9394rules

• @enderfall said:

@Loukayza Thanks for pointing that out. It would be nice if everyone could settle on one set of rules, but I think the Swedes really make things difficult by not allowing Revised. The format can't grow (and it's arguable if it can grow even with Revised/Chronicles allowed) if limited to just the Limited sets and early Expansions, which the EC/CFB/NYOS crew seem to understand. that said, the CFB and EC rules are very similar. The difference is basically that CFB restricts Strip Mine and adds the book promos Arena and Sewers of Estark

They're not similar at all, since CFB allows Fallen Empires. I play with swedish rules, but allowing all reprints with the original drawing. I think the ban/restricted list of the Swedish is the most balanced, and I dislike allowing Fallen Empires, because of the different printing standard.

• @enderfall I thought he said Sweden x CFB. ;)

I really dislike allowing Fallen Empires and it's the main reason I dismiss all US-based lists...

• TMD Supporter

Is there an old school scene in the mid Atlantic? I see stuff in NYC pop up, and I know Long Island is trying to get it going. Anything in NJ or eastern PA? Even casual? I'd love to give it a spin once in awhile.

• @fsecco I agree. FE literally adds exactly 2 cards, Hymn and Order of the Ebon hand.... and they generally go in the same deck. I suppose someone could make a High Tide deck with Candelabra, but It would simply be to fire off a larger Fireball. Orgg apparently made it into some obscure tournament lists back in the day, but I don't see anyone really playing with that card. I guess it could be anti-The Deck tech...maybe...

@joshuabrooks I recommend checking out the various facebook groups for 93/94 and Old School. You'll probably have a wider reach to see if anyone from your neck of the woods plays.

• @enderfall Goblin Grenade is also quite good. There are Merfolk in that set which saw some competitive play back then.

• The CFB website with the schedule of events lists an asterisk next to the 93/94 event saying "event sanctioned as casual. Players only receive the participation planeswalker point for playing". Does that mean there are no prizes at all? The section with "Prizes and Additional Information" still says "see scheduled event common prizes" just like every other tournament at the event, so it's really confusing. I certainly hope they aren't charging $20 and then pocketing the entire fee. I certainly don't have any expectation of winning, but it's kinda silly to charge a fee and offer no prizes at all.

Anyone know for sure how this works?

• Well, I made a pseudo last minute decision to attend, so hopefully I see a bunch of people show up on Sunday morning!

• @enderfall The prizes are in the form of Chuck e cheese-esque skee ball tickets that can be redeemed at the "prize wall."

Scheduled Event Common Prizes:

4-0-0 (12 Match Points) - 500 Prize Tix
    3-0-1 (10 Match Points) - 350 Prize Tix
    3-1-0 (9 Match Points) - 200 Prize Tix
    2-1-1 or 2-0-2 (7-8 Match Points) - 110 Prize Tix
    2-2-0 (6 Match Points) - 20 Prize Tix

Also, If anyone going to GP NJ that has a cube and plans on being there Sat. Please let me know!

• @Moy I get what the prize wall is. The asterisk says that the 93/94 event doesn't award prizes because it is casual. That's what I don't understand because right next to the listing on the calendar it says it awards prize wall tix. It's contradictory.

• I see your confusion. That's only in regards to planeswalker points. They're saying you'll only receive walker points for "casual" as it's not a sanctioned format. The tournament still provides the prize tickets.

• @Moy cool, thanks!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.