Goblins, an Undervalued Tribe in Vintage

• When I was Testing Goblins, Mentor was my worst matchup, but I think if built properly, can be very good against them. I think Goblin Sharpshooter should be a 4 Of alongside a set of Sulfur Elemental, this means every time they cast a spell, they take one point of damage for every Sharpshooter you have in play. Multiple Sharpshooter in play also help against Dredge, eating all zombie tokens. Another sideboard card I think that would help against Mentor is Blood Moon.

• @msg67183 the issue with that is it makes you really soft to shops. I updated my current list to reflect how I feel about the metagame (mainly changed mental misstep from the SB to null rod since PO storm > DP storm atm).

// 60 Maindeck
    // 11 Artifact
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mindslaver

// 18 Creature
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Earwig Squad
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Chains of Mephistopheles

// 4 Instant
    1 Demonic Consultation
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge

// 17 Land
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Mana Confluence
    1 Wooded Foothills
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Bloodstained Mire

// 3 Planeswalker
    2 Dack Fayden
    1 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast

// 4 Sorcery
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    1 Yawgmoth's Will

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Artifact
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Null Rod

// 9 Creature
    SB: 3 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    SB: 2 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 2 Ingot Chewer
    SB: 1 Goblin Sharpshooter

// 1 Instant
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge

// 1 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree

• I had a good Workshops matchup with my list, the Sulfur Elementals were in my board.

• How's the mindslaver working out for you?

• @AmbivalentDuck I like it. At worst it's a bomb that they have to FOW. At best you go infinite with welder + darretti.

• Slaver vs a Gush deck with Chains in play is brutal.

• @Serracollector chains is brutal in this meta. I think this goblins deck has potential. It runs a lot like the 5c control decks but instead of using workshops to cheat out fatties, you have lackey. You basically have better tutoring and explosiveness than the shops deck but less consistency. I guess not being hit by artifact hate is a plus (although right now Ballista and STP is at an all time high).

• As silly as this might sound, I'm actually not sure that the deck still needs Lackey/Matron/Incinerator. Chains shuts down whole archetypes. Some combination of a relevant Rogue and Welders should be plenty? Dack + Welder + Null Rod seems like a huge problem for artifact-based decks.

• @AmbivalentDuck I can definitely see it working without Lackey. Not sure how I feel about no Matron though, as the tutoring has been pretty relevant. If we do get rid of the lackey, I can see us making a case for something like Sundering titan to give more of a stax feel.

• 4 Lackey could be Duress/Thoughtseize/Mental Misstep?

It feels the need for some form of protection.

• I'm not sure. It seems like the strongest line of attack against you is actually just huge critters and Walking Ballista/Ravager effects. Some combination of protection from removal and Krenko is likely the way to go.

• So, God Pharaoh's Gift is now a thing. All of your dead stuff comes back as hasty 4/4s, which is a pretty big deal, and you get the ETB triggers. I'm pretty sure that's better than Mindslaver.

• Administrators

@AmbivalentDuck serious question, what do you think about Gate to the Afterlife?

• @Brass-Man Seems like a rough grind to get six critters into your graveyard. If you're playing Gobs, it's for the Dack, Welder, Chains, and Earwig Squad package. Tinker for Gift lets any dead Welders and Matrons come back at a size Shops can't ignore. I might be thinking about that entirely wrong and maybe it's better just to board into something like Paradoxical Outcome since most Shops players will board out their Thorns after seeing a bunch of goblins game 1.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.