Goblins, an Undervalued Tribe in Vintage

• @ambivalentduck said in Goblins, an Undervalued Tribe in Vintage:

@13nova said in Goblins, an Undervalued Tribe in Vintage:

Cockatrice is a great place to test. There's not another electronic platform that 90% of the people who play vintage use. Nope. Just cockatrice.

I'm not a big fan of renting digital cards. It's kind of dubious to invest in an online platform when the content owner you're renting from is actively investing in a new platform and won't move your cards over onto it. Just sayin'...

Oh. I get it. I don't play on MTGO anymore either for similar reasons. Renting cardboard. But I don't feel cockatrice is a great testing platform either.

• I barely have time to cube and go to prereleases these days, but I think Goblins are probably competitive again. A few things took Goblins out of the picture:

• Critters started showing up in brown lists and blocking goblins
    • 4x Mentor meant that a single Jester's Cap effect wasn't lethal
    • Eldrazi got printed and are actually much harder to kill than artifact critters

What changed?

• Abrade Goblin is maindeckable as a 4x and kills all the colorless and brown problems that can ruin your day
    • Mentor got restricted, greatly increasing the value of cap effects vs Xerox engines
    • Legion Warboss is everything Rabblemaster needed to be: go-wide, pumps Lackey, makes hasty tokens to hit planeswalkers. Unlike Rabblemaster, it doesn't force your other gobs to make bad attacks.
    • Trashmaster lets you trade up vs brown
    • Warboss + Trashmaster let you go back to being an aggro-combo deck vs Xerox and aggro-control vs brown. Earwig Squad "combo" isn't a sufficient angle of attack vs Xerox anymore and you had too slow a clock without it.
    • Assassin's Trophy lets you switch from Grixis to Jund and adds redundant disruption against everything but fast combo (where Earwig Squad seemingly still does all the work you need). It's cute that it gives a maindeck answer to Oath, too.

Anyways, I think these recent printings probably bring Gobs back. I'm happy to help people brew if they're interested.

• @ambivalentduck

I've been playing this. It can use some tuning but it seems fun.

// Vintage Goblins Aggro

// 60 Maindeck
    // 5 Artifact
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Ruby
    3 Null Rod

// 32 Creature
    3 Earwig Squad
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    3 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Stingscourger
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    4 Warren Instigator
    3 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Gempalm Incinerator

// 3 Instant
    3 Mental Misstep

// 20 Land
    4 Cavern of Souls
    5 Mountain
    2 Badlands
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    1 Strip Mine

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Artifact
    SB: 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt

// 5 Creature
    SB: 1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    SB: 1 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 2 Goblin Cratermaker
    SB: 1 Goblin Trashmaster

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

It's a Lackey/Instigator based build that tries to cheat stuff into play. Not sure about the right configurations but having 8 enabler seem good. The new Legion Warboss and Rabblemaster also seem like theyd be good pay-off spells. Maybe even Piledriver.

WAF/WHF