Hollow One

• I'd like to port this archetype from modern over to vintage, http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=767&meta=51&f=MO
    It uses cards like Hollow One and Bloodghast and discard outlets to win as well as delve spells. This has advantages over decks like Dredge because you aren't necessarily shut down by any one form of hate, and you get a large amount of resiliency from Bloodghast and Flamewake Phoenix and Prized Amalgam.
    Bazaar of Baghdad, and Survival of the Fittest would be great in here along with Dack Fayden and Draw 7s.

I think this could work. I don't know if you need that many creatures, or if you want blue or power. I'd like to see some more disruption and maybe a tool box with SoTF.

Any input is welcome.

• There was a guy who played this 1/2 a year ago at champs. His list is buried somewhere in the PDF scans. Or @whienot may have transposed it in another thread. Full on Bazaar / Hollow, but he played Survival because it's stone insane with all of this.

Edit:

He screen capped it

![alt text](0_1518991284668_4f100b92-622d-4e97-b482-a4a30f6169f9-image.png image url)

• The first deck listed has no disruption. It'll probably get wrecked by anything with a combo-type win (either dedicated combo like storm or something like tinker-colossus in blue). Is this deck faster than aggro shops?

• @dr-j said in Hollow One:

The first deck listed has no disruption. It'll probably get wrecked by anything with a combo-type win (either dedicated combo like storm or something like tinker-colossus in blue). Is this deck faster than aggro shops?

I put 4 leyline in maindeck for combo, but I think your right. Its as fast as shops.

• I put together a few different builds a few months ago. I had some success with both builds but traditional dredge still had a better win percentage

Here is the first one:

4 Flameblade Adept
    1 Bloodghast
    2 Flamewake Phoenix
    4 Hollow One
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Gurmag Angler
    2 Tombstalker
    4 Burning Inquiry
    2 Call to the Netherworld
    2 Faithless Looting
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Fiery Temper
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Big Game Hunter
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Taiga
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mountain
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Swamp
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Badlands
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob

4 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Ancient Grudge
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Dark Withering
    4 Duress
    1 Yixlid Jailer

Here is the second one:
    3 Flameblade Adept
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Time Walk
    4 Hollow One
    4 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Vengevine
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Burning Inquiry
    2 Faithless Looting
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Mox Sapphire
    3 Taiga
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Circular Logic
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    1 Mox Emerald
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Breakthrough
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Treasure Cruise

4 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Circular Logic
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Nature's Claim
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ancient Grudge

I didn't think about survival. It might be cool

• The survival build I think requires vengevine and rootwalla and probably should just play magic bullets in the main. I dont think adding hollow one really ups its power level from what it already did with just the rootwallas, mostly because they are just there to trigger things. If you can go off with lumberjack or other ramp you are probably favored to win regardless of the trigger creatures.

The burning inquiry build is far more interesting to me since you can mutilate an opponents hand with it, and who the hell is going to want to counter inquiry? It's a great way to force them to use missteps if you can capitalize on it.

Also, any build with survival really should run a singleton elvish spirit guide right? Just to power out some vengevine hands?

• @protoaddct wake me up when Misstep is restricted and I'll consider banking on Inquiry. The sotf build benefits greatly from Hollow One because you get the same free bazaar kills plus you have the resiliency of sotf.

• The idea I had with survival was to get some bloodghasts or phoenix's is the graveyard and then play a free hollow one (or two).

• hi, i'm playing a similar deck.
    before was without FOW, now i'm trying a new version
    // 61 Mazzo
    // 4 Artifact
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Skullclamp

// 21 Creature
    4 Hollow One
    4 Vengevine
    4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Ingot Chewer

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Survival of the Fittest

// 15 Instant
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Crop Rotation
    4 Force of Will
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Brainstorm

// 16 Land
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Riftstone Portal

// 4 Sorcery
    1 Time Walk
    3 Careful Study

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage

// 12 Instant
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Rending Volley
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 3 Nature's Claim

i know there are only 15 blue cards... but it's not easy cut other cards to add blue ones.

• @giomon79 crop rotation would be a snap-cut for me, possibly for misstep #4

• Kinny 5-0'd a MODO league with this list. I had the honor of being one of the opponents he slaughtered, and holy crap this deck is fast.

• @hierarchnoble that’s me! I’ve really enjoy playing it. Have since changed Wheel of Fortune to Sylvan Library.

• @wfain said in Hollow One:

@hierarchnoble that’s me! I’ve really enjoy playing it. Have since changed Wheel of Fortune to Sylvan Library.

Nice, and GGs again! I'm going to try to make time to stream this sometime soon, the deck is hilarious, powerful, and a breath of fresh air. Do you have any tips for people playing this that might not be completely obvious at first glance?

• @hierarchnoble honestly I’m not sure how to verbalize them 🤷🏻‍♂️ The range of keeps is somehow higher and lower than you might expect. Sometimes Survival is all you want to do, sometimes Bazaar is your plan, and others you just cast some Rootwallas and attack a bunch while they play Preordains. Sideboarding is difficult sometimes- I usually cut a Vengevine and a Hollow One until I know what their plan of hate is going to be (Faithless Looting and DRS are others that can be shaved if you expect Leyline or RiP)

I’ll think about it some and maybe try to write up some tips. But for sure practice with it before you take it into a league, it isn’t always easy to figure out what you’re supposed to be doing!

• Posted a 4-1 in league tonight. Lost the last round to aggro shops. His game 1 had 3 dudes on 1 and Lodestone, Metamorph on 2. Game 3 was very close and I think I made a mistake but I’m not totally sure, I think I should’ve won to go 5-0 but 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I’ll try to do a walk through of a few games or something this weekend

• @wfain Any Chance of recording some gameplay? I tried picking up the deck but mulligans and sideboarding are hard as hell.
    That being said this deck is exactly what I imagined as a survival deck in vintage soon as hollowone spoiled so thank you for figuring out a list.

Edit: What are your thoughts on a single memnite to enable low mana vengevine plays?

• @bleedth3sky I hadn’t consider memnite, could let us make vine off 1 forest. I’ll try one out! Great idea!
    I’m also gonna mess around with Bomat Courier instead of Faithless Looting for a few practice games just for fun.
    Sideboarding can be tricky. Usually shave a Vengevine and a Hollow One until you know which hate to play around. You don’t need Wonder vs anything but Dredge, maybe Shops, and Young Pyromancer decks. I’ll often cut Vamp Tutor against counterspell decks. Forest can go out if your opponent doesn’t have Wasteland.
    I can’t record anything, no. Best I can do is some screen shots. I’ll try to post some tomorrow.

• @wfain I've been messing around with your list minus Libraryand 1 Dork and am trying running impactful 3-drops to follow up a countered survival. The only two I really found were Dack who plays great with all the creatures and Leovold as a straight hatebear against Bargain storm and PO decks which are very hard to win vs if we don't explode.

Shops tho no matter what seems unwinnable. Kataki helps but fetching for white then drawing looting sucks and ballista makes sure birds are never around. Ingot chewer isn't good enough when they board into an aggro plan and flood the board so maybe try and jam energy flux's like landstill with ingot chewers to clear spheres? Or is EoT Hurkyls and try and play like storm the plan?

Teeg also seems really bad vs PO decks as they just go turbo tinker mode and win with blightsteel which teeg doesn't stop.

• @bleedth3sky I actually beat shops quite often. Usually they aren’t fast enough on the board. I’ve also changed my list a tiny bit. I’ll show it in another post.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.