Damping Sphere

• I've continued to play with Damping Sphere in various PO decks. I've been disappointed in most matchups, but am continuing with the card in my deck as I want to test the Shops matchup more. It just hasn't worked out well against other PO decks and counterspells as they exploit the Sphere to resolve Hurkyls and/or PO. What are other people's impressions of the card in their testing?

• @chubbyrain Haven't tested in PO shells but in a UW planeswalkers control list and then in a UW Stoneblade list. I've liked DS a lot in both since both lists are geared towards keeping up counters while leveraging advantage from the planeswalkers/stoneforge mystic (i.e by not casting spells). That said, I too am struggling in the PO matchup and I've even boarded out sphere against them in favor of Mindbreak trap and more other counters.

• Damping Sphere has been insane thus far for me. . . in a Knight of the Reliquary/Thalia Shell, that is. As for folks saying they are trying it in a PO list, why? I use it in Knight Humans to BEAT PO decks so why on earth would THEY want to use it? It shuts off one of the most important cards in their deck in Tolarian Academy. I have a very spicy Knight brew with the card that anyone is welcome to ask me to PM to them, but I'd like to keep the tech under wraps until I crush at a tournament with it.

-Storm

• @stormanimagus How outlandish would a strip-lock combo, either with Crucible or Ramunap? Are you running Noble Hierarch? Also, how crazy is a singleton Armageddon in a deck with Damping?

• This post is deleted!

• @topical_island I had 1 Ramunap in the list for a while and I ended up finally cutting it. I could see adding 1-2 back to the list but I also only maindeck 1 Strip and 2 Wasteland with a 3rd Wasteland in the sb. The format just isn't that weak to Wasteland anymore and, in particular, the shops deck. Shops used to be extremely weak to Wasteland. . . pre-Foundry Inspector. Foundry Inspector has changed the dynamic significantly in the matchup and made Wasteland more of a tactic than the hammer it once was.

• Can a judge confirm that this does not remove the artifact spell restriction of Workshop mana?

• @wappla my judgeship has lapsed but this does not remove the restriction on shop mana; compare contagion contamination, which also keeps all restrictions/riders such as shop, cavern, boseiju, etc

• @blindtherapy said in Damping Sphere:

@wappla my judgeship has lapsed but this does not remove the restriction on shop mana; compare contagion, which also keeps all restrictions/riders such as shop, cavern, boseiju, etc

You meant Contamination, but it's a good way to resolve this.

• @stormanimagus said in Damping Sphere:

Damping Sphere has been insane thus far for me. . . in a Knight of the Reliquary/Thalia Shell, that is. As for folks saying they are trying it in a PO list, why? I use it in Knight Humans to BEAT PO decks so why on earth would THEY want to use it? It shuts off one of the most important cards in their deck in Tolarian Academy. I have a very spicy Knight brew with the card that anyone is welcome to ask me to PM to them, but I'd like to keep the tech under wraps until I crush at a tournament with it.

-Storm

For the same reason Brian Kelly was running Chalice and 3-Ball in his PO decks... PO breaks the symmetry of the hate pieces as your opponent can't combo through them, but you can bounce them with your own PO and proceed to combo off. It hasn't done enough though.

If the card is only good in your fringe lists, it doesn't really justify the lofty expectations players have had and fears of a "Grafdigger's Cage" level of influence on the format. I thought this card would be a niche role-player in the format and it seems like that has been the case so far.

WAF/WHF