Damping Sphere

• @chubbyrain no worries. About judges, I would point out a case where seemingly every available judges got it wrong : https://timewalking.wordpress.com/2016/12/29/wotcs-non-eureka-moment/

• @protoaddct said in Damping Sphere:

Tolarian academy is restricted. Closer parallel? This shuts it down, is it safe to come off the unrestricted list like shops is? It also only provides mana for a small fraction of the available card pool.

don't be a moron. of course tolarian academy needs to stay restricted. It can create absurd amounts of the most used color of mana in Vintage for every deck that runs blue and broken spells. I'm not going to engage any further in an argument that you consistently choose to rebut with hyperbolic unsupported comments. Just stop. Stop.

• @stormanimagus said in Damping Sphere:

I'm not going to engage any further in an argument that you consistently choose to rebut with hyperbolic unsupported comments. Just stop. Stop.

@stormanimagus said in Damping Sphere:

This card, in theory, should stop all the whining about our favorite repeatable lotus land and its call for restriction. . . But it won’t. Mark my words. facepalm.

0_1520650404981_936dd8ca-c217-4bd5-bb36-8825380bdf71-image.png

• This feels pretty exciting for folks looking for new control tech, albeit situationally. I agree with above posts that say along with Eldrazi, this seems like a strong contender for BUG or hate bears type decks, but would it also go in a shell like Landstill, or similar Draw Go type strategies where you’d want to hose out workshop, xerox and storm all at once?

I guess where do you cut to bring this in is the eternal (heh) question, but I feel like if you’re playing man lands that don’t get punished by this it could be pretty swell.

Maybe it’s just nostalgia for a decent prison deck, but cards like this definitely scratch a particular itch!

• This card does not hose workshops, it slows it. To me, to hose a deck is more like game one leyline against dredge or Cotv against a hand with 4 moxen and no land or something a bit more unrecoverable. This on the play can buy you a turn or 2 against shops. On the draw it may be to late against shops.

• I'm excited for the card myself in hopes that it shakes up the format. While I believe that the format is currently very healthy, I also am bored with the current competitive decks.

• I really can't see how this is any good in Eldrazi. You play this turn 1 and then you're shut down of big mana for the rest of the game. Eldrazi thrives because it can quite easily play TKS turn 2 into Smasher T3. This stops that even if you have Eye of Ugin.
    I'd say Eldrazi relies more on multi-mana lands than Ravager Shops.

• Most Vintage decks are affected, but that also means most decks dont want to play. The effect on non-storm decks is that the game just gets marginally slowed down. So I dont think this playable outside of maybe as a storm hate card, or a singleton in some slow blue control build.

• I find the templating confusing on this card. Why was the word "other" used?

• @john-cox Same templating as storm. Seems consistent to me.

• @john-cox because that way it doesn't have any effect on the first spell played, spells don't count themselves.

• @aelien said in Damping Sphere:

@john-cox because that way it doesn't have any effect on the first spell played, spells don't count themselves.

I meant for the land tap mana cost; "Prior" would make more sense.
    I could see confusion where the first point of mana would be the normal type and amount, then mana 2+ (other) is just (C).

• This card looks like it has real promise to me - kinda feels similarly tailored towards our format the way that Grafdigger's Cage was (only this obvs vs shops & storm strats).

• TMD Supporter

@john-cox said in Damping Sphere:

I meant for the land tap mana cost; "Prior" would make more sense.
    I could see confusion where the first point of mana would be the normal type and amount, then mana 2+ (other) is just (C).

If a land taps to produce 1+X amount of mana (of any color or colorless), it produces C instead.

If a land does A, instead it does B. The whole A clause is replaced, so “other” can’t apply to part of A (because A no longer exists, it has been replaced by B)

• @john-cox They used the same template as Contamination so it is consistent with the previous iterations of this affect.

• Damping Sphere

Confirmed as an uncommon. NULL ROD FLAVOR CALLBACK!!!!!

• @hierarchnoble This is so great. There is no storm near the sphere.

• @hierarchnoble IT DOES NOTHING

I love this card so much. This is the most potent hate card we've seen since Grafdiggers' Cage! I don't know that it stops Shops in Vintage exactly, since mana rocks can pretty much cover the spread after turn 2, but it seems absolutely brutal, BRUTAL in Legacy.

I suspect this is going to rock the sideboards forever now.

@aaron-patten

Holy crap you're right: the art direction was "Anti-storm tech"

• This post is deleted!

• I’m looking forward to playing with this card. Glad it’s an uncommon too.

WAF/WHF