[DOM] Mox Amber

• @thecravenone I realize you can cast the amber before Thalia, but my point is that it won’t be turned on to cast said Thalia. This will not accelerate you into anything Early.

• If affinity (in other formats) had a legend I could imagine this being relevant, since it' still an artifact to power everything else. Tezzeretts 4 mana version would turn it on just fine but that means you already had tezz mana.

As it stands, I think its the worst mox by a large measure and we would have been better off with one that just came into play tapped or costed 1 mana to tap for 1 or even the originally concepted energy based one they never printed in Kalidesh.

I'm starting to think the only place we are ever going to see powerlevel cards like that anymore are the supplemental sets like this supposed 2hg set tgats coming out

• @protoaddct Erayo has seen fringe play in Modern and this Mox has obvious synergy there. Baral sees more play and this allows a turn 2 Baral with Mana Leak/Remand back up. I will definitely be throwing a foil copy into my JVP commander deck for similar reasons. It's not a terrible card, but it's just not really Vintage playable IMO. Which is probably for the best as I don't think Vintage needs more playable Moxen with PO in the format.

• @chubbyrain

Ah you are very correct sir. The price of this card will be extremly high because of commander. I honestly didn’t think about that because I haven’t followed or played commander in years. But this card is basically an auto include in all EDH lists.

This has major ramifications for the price of every other card in the set. Especially if it is mythic.

• @gkraigher Nonfoils should be pretty affordable, but I think foils will be quite high. It can go in almost every commander deck.

• Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. might be better than/on par with thalia.

• A deck with Jace, Vryn's Prodigy; Jori En, Ruin Diver, Dack Fayden, and/or Baral, Chief of Compliance could probably make this work.

• @skeptimist said in [DOM] Mox Amber:

A deck with Jace, Vryn's Prodigy; Jori En, Ruin Diver, Dack Fayden, and/or Baral, Chief of Compliance could probably make this work.

It's less a question of could they work and more a question of how many moxes does a list need. These lists already have 5 true moxen if they want, which are typically superior, at least the on color ones but sometimes even if the off color ones if the question is between colorless mana and no mana. Lotus of course, and Lotus petal if they can take advantage of it. Sol ring, Mana crypt if they can use colorless.

Those are all in the realm of optimal mana sources, then you have the second tier of fast mana sources. Mox opal, which can be a 2 or more of in the right deck, is going to be superior in most cases than amber. Diamond has its uses in lands decks and potentially others as a sorta combo piece.

I guess my point here is once you have a deck with Jace, Dack, Jori En, Baral, etc wouldn't you take all 5 regular moxen first, followed by sol ring, followed maybe by crypt and opal, all before you took Amber? and at that point how many is to many fast mana sources for a deck that clearly wants to be playing instants and wizards.

• @moorebrother1 said in [DOM] Mox Amber:

This could be playable in humans since they run Thalia

Problem is, this doesn't accelerate you into Thalia. You need Thalia on the board already to utilize this.

• TMD Supporter

Maybe it's best home is in a Griselbrand deck. It's like a Mox Jet or a Chrome Mox at that point; let's you cast Dark Ritual. Though realistically, it isn't better than Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond.

• @desolutionist being able to cast dark ritual, but only once griselbrand is in play, is probably not worth it.

• Wizard tribal with JaceVrynns, Baral and Naban (http://mythicspoiler.com/dom/cards/nabandeanofiteration.html) as enablers for the Mox, which then helps to accelerate into Clique and Snapcaster ;)

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.