Mishra's Self-Replicator [DOM]

• Mishra's Self-Replicator
    Artifact Creature — Assembly-Worker
    Whenever you cast a historic spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a token that's a copy of Mishra's Self-Replicator. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

Since all artifacts are historic, this might have a home as a more resilient but slower precursor golem replacement in shops. The copies can also produce tokens, so if you play this followed by another artifact right away it is resilient to 1 STP since you'd still be able to make a token that can then continue copying. After 2-3 spells after this you'll have a crazy number of extra tokens. It's basically a big one sided genesis chamber that triggers off of all artifacts and makes more genesis chambers. It might be a bit too slow, but seems like a powerful engine for the long game in a grindy match.

• @vnayin

This card seems really powerful in Ravager Shops. My immediate thought was, "Meh, it's a more-expensive version of Genesis Chamber that makes 2/2s" but then I realized that the duplicates also have the ability to self-replicate. In shops, it seems pretty trivial to get to a board state where every spell you cast ends up with "Kicker X: Make X 2/2s."

Talk about value for your Steel Overseers and Ravagers....!

• 5 mana is a lot for a 2/2, even in shops. The fact that it chains means you have to have more to play, which can also be tough for shops since they very often just go into top deck mode.

It really provides no value until it makes it's first token, so the floor on this card is that you need 6 mana and another card. At that point I think I would rather have a hangarback.

• Right, 5 mana for a 2/2 is slow, which is what I was thinking, but still the effect is really powerful. It only takes 2 more artifacts + 3 mana to produce 8 power and that's 8 power that can't be removed by a single plow. It triggers off of all artifacts, so sure you're often in top deck mode, but with roughly 70% of the deck as hits.

• I am no shops player, but the "best" version of the deck right now does not want to hold back cards to trigger a 5 mana genesis chamber. Maybe a different flavor of shops would use this, but I do not see it in aggro ravager shops.

• It could find a home in some future deck but i see no place for it now.

You can produce infinite tokens if you have a mox that you can bounce (Tidespout Tyrant ?). Maybe there is a way for a combo deck but i see it as more fun than really efficient.

• Isn't this just better than Precursor in a lot of scenarios?

• @vaughnbros said in Mishra's Self-Replicator [DOM]:

Isn't this just better than Precursor in a lot of scenarios?

Precursor’s strength is that it’s 9 power for 5 mana. You need to spend 9 mana to get 10 power out of this card.

• Replicator is maybe better in situations that shops never really wants to be in, which are games that go way longer than planed where the opponent is still able to fight back enough to stay in it.

Replicator is better against ancient grudge and swords and bolt and when you have a lodestone on the table. Precursor is better against hurkyl's recall. None are really compelling enough to want to ditch precursor for replicator.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.