Should I get my Moxes signed?

• The only way I am getting a Frazier signature on a Mox is if it is EITHER:

• Already graded and I am having him sign the outside of the plastic.
    • So beat to hell it does not even matter.

• I don't like signatures, alterations, or Dan Frazier's work. His more recent interpretative work of his past paintings comes off as gaudy and sellout-ish, basically creating awful amalgams out of the Moxes, Jester's Cap and Fire Covenant. Count me as a hard "nay" vote.

• I'd say absolutely not.

• Dan Frazier's signature is just so disappointing. Of the Power 8 that I own (missing the Twister), only the Ancestral is signed. It doesn't bother me too much because at least Poole has an interesting signature, but Frazier's is just a scribble that I hate seeing.

• Signatures to me are more of a personal preference. If your not worried about devaluing the cards, then get them signed.

• Signing now lowers the value of cards? This is quite surprising to hear, when did this happen (used to be the opposite)?

Now I feel silly for getting my NM EN Drains signed and altered...

• @dr-j I've honestly never watched the power secondary market closely enough to follow the trends. I can tell you that when I was buying my power back in 2002-2003, I was told at that time that signatures devalue cards, and I never really questioned it.

If you want to be sure, it's probably a big enough decision to warrant a little research. Check some closed ebay auctions, talk to some people who buy and sell power and have done so recently. I bet if you asked SCG or ChannelFireball the question directly, they would answer: e.g. "I own power and I'm thinking of getting it signed, but I might also be looking to resell it in the near future. Does a signature impact your buy price in any way?" There's no reason to trust me on this when the hard info is readily available!

@dr-j said in Should I get my Moxes signed?:

Now I feel silly for getting my NM EN Drains signed and altered...

Eh, don't beat yourself up about the value, my english drains are signed and altered, too, and they're maybe some of the favorite cards I own. I love the rare-but-not-the-most-expensive cards I've used over the years, like my Korean Yawgmoth's Will and Japanese-White-Bordered Mystical/Vampiric Tutors. I even kind of like the familiar wear I have on some of my older cards? Value is important, but I also love the feeling of fanning out my opening seven and seeing a hand full of old friends 🙂

• TMD Supporter

@dr-j This is the bullshit ripping off sellers tell you on your stuff when they try to buy it. If you check online platforms like MKM in Europe, signed cards are way much more expensive than non signed ones, specially depending on the artist.

Its the same song as "Well, you know, not that many people buy foils"...

If you don't want to sign a card because you think it would "decrease" its value, then don't do it. You are in it for the money, not the art or the collectionism 🙂

I have my P9 fully signed. And I love it. If I ever sell everything, my P9 will be framed in a wall @ my place. That's for sure.

• Would they bring you more joy with Frazier's signature, or not? Value should NOT be a factor.

Personally, it really depends to me how the signature looks. I think Dan Frazier's signature looks like a straight dumpster fire, as does Richard Garfield's and several others. I like Pooles, Neilson's, Mark Tedin's, and Chris Rush's.

• TMD Supporter

@peach said in Should I get my Moxes signed?:

@dr-j This is the bullshit ripping off sellers tell you on your stuff when they try to buy it. If you check online platforms like MKM in Europe, signed cards are way much more expensive than non signed ones, specially depending on the artist.

I'm not sure I agree with this (especially in regards to the topic in question- Dan Frazier), but as always "do your own research." If we are talking about Christopher Rush signatures, of course it will command a higher value from "most" buyers. In the High End Groups (graded, etc), there is a large percentage of people that insist on never having a signature on the card, or even the grading case. So I think it incorrect to see signatures ever improving a value, unless the signature is rare or unavailable. Maybe on a beat card, but rarely on a LP+ or nicer.

But as we've mentioned, many people (myself included) have altered moxes, signed moxes, or other cards of tremendous sentimental value. I wouldn't trade my Klug moxes for a blank one, and I love my signed HP Poole LoA more than my NM one.

I've never heard of someone paying a premium for a Dan Frazier signature, but if you like him as an artist or a person, go for it. If you are doing it strictly for value, I think you'd better hope he retires soon 🙂

• TMD Supporter

For reference (also because there is a HUGE lack of beautiful cards pics in the Forum lately), here is my signed P9(/10):

alt text

It took me a while (specially Time Walk) but finally made it (May 2017).

BTW where is the thread of nice Vintage card pictures?

• @peach said in Should I get my Moxes signed?:

BTW where is the thread of nice Vintage card pictures?

Start one!

• TMD Supporter

WAF/WHF