[DOM] Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

• @garbageaggro I fail to see the synergy with tangle wire as it requires to tap untapped permanents

• TMD Supporter

@albarkhane I have an untapped Traxos, in play on my upkeep (i played a mox last turn). I tap it down to tangle wire. I go to my main phase i play another artifact, i untap my traxos. Synergy.

• @garbageaggro oh ok, i see. My bad. I must say i am not exactly convinced by it because usually having 3 permanents to tap for tangle is not the most difficult thing to get. Actually you have them if you are in the setup you describe but i agree that it will help you to keep your mana untapped if you are really low on permanent.

Most shop decks are playing 18 lands so that means 70% of cards are artifacts and 30% are not. 7/7 is a three turns clock but given that percentage actually it is a four clock (another way to say it is : 7*0.7 = 4.9 . So this creature has sort of a practical strenght of 5). Given that result and its casting cost, one can compare it to lodestone golem for example.
    Would we play a lodestone golem that has trample, that is more resistant to chumpblocking and is lightning bolt proof but that misses the sphere effect ?

• Seems pretty broken in a workshop deck, where 4 mana is equivalent to a 2drop. You get a 7/7 with trample and effectively vigilance most of the time.

• My opponent just went turn one Traxos two games in a row. I died.

• This post is deleted!

• This card is fantastic in bad shop decks with Null Rods, Smokestacks and Crucibles. It copes with Walker and Ravager way better than Wurmcoil which gets chump sacc'ed. Can't be Dismembered. You can also psuedo protect it with Karakas. Reminds me of Metalwork Colossus, but that card was such an early game cinder block in hand. This guy actually comes down fast.

• @thecravenone said in [DOM] Traxos, Scourge of Kroog:

My opponent just went turn one Traxos two games in a row. I died.

Good. Glad to hear this.

• I played a Workshop Aggro/Combo deck (something we've been calling Brass City Vault) with 2 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog and 4 Voltaic Servant in the Challenge this weekend. Ended with a weak finish, but I have no complaints about those two cards specifically.

• Just wanted to mention I played Shops with 4 Traxos at the TMD Open this past weekend to a 5-2 finish, missing out on T16 due to tiebreakers. Traxos was completely insane. I encourage you all to try it. My list was as follows:

• 4 Ancient Tomb
    • 4 Mishra's Factory
    • 4 Mishra's Workshop
    • 1 Strip Mine
    • 1 Tolarian Academy
    • 4 Wasteland
    • 1 Black Lotus
    • 1 Chalice of the Void
    • 1 Mana Crypt
    • 1 Mox Emerald
    • 1 Mox Jet
    • 1 Mox Pearl
    • 1 Mox Ruby
    • 1 Mox Sapphire
    • 1 Sol Ring
    • 4 Sphere of Resistance
    • 1 Thorn of Amethyst
    • 1 Trinisphere
    • 4 Arcbound Ravager
    • 4 Foundry Inspector
    • 1 Lodestone Golem
    • 2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    • 4 Phyrexian Revoker
    • 4 Steel Overseer
    • 4 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    • 4 Walking Ballista

Sideboard:

• 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    • 4 Null Rod
    • 2 Precursor Golem
    • 1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    • 2 Tormod's Crypt
    • 2 Wurmcoil Engine

Traxos is:

1. tremendously pressuring in conjunction with Ravager, often threatening to one-shot the opponent through blockers
    2. effective source of reach on many stalled boards
    3. the lowest cmc maindeckable mirror breaker
    4. easy enough to untap without playing any weird cards like Voltaic Servant. Yes, when your hand gets small, you have to think about what happens if you topdeck a Traxos. It's a decision point you have to practice. Also Shops is already 70% historic cards...

You want to play four of them because it's better the earlier you play it. Besides the obvious reasons due to the untap clause, playing it early in conjuction with a lock piece (either before or after) often presents a tough fork for blue opponents with opening hands of average strength. Can they outrace Traxos if they counter or destroy the sphere? Can they set up under a sphere if they counter or kill Traxos?

I think people are worrying too much about the legendary clause. In certain archetypes in other formats, it is often correct to play 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben despite the fact that it's legendary. I think a similar remark holds here. Untap triggers are sometimes worth a card, so drawing multiples isn't even the end of the world...

WAF/WHF