[DOM] Voltaic Servant

• Lacks the synergy that Key has with things like Top, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith

• This is a fun card that I am going to have a lovely time testing. It has a bunch of neat effects that (are slightly inferior to Voltaic Key but) are worth parsing:

Honestly, costing 2 and being a dude is really a win for this effect but it turns it entirely into a Shop card. Going to be interesting to see if we can find a spot for him.

• I've been looking at this card for a while and I was surprised nobody made a thread on it a month ago (and @hierarchnoble only made the thread after I mentioned it on Twitter :D )

I've had a list with this little guy in it since it was spoiled in the initial leak, and I've been waiting for the card to be released on MTGO. @cutlex covered most of the bases, but consider that the card is less problematic in multiples, and that multiple-Voltaic Key decks haven't been deeply explored. Me and @cutlex actually already had a Workshop list running 4 Key which this is potentially a deck-redefining card, so I'm not surprised to see his reply!

I think "cute" might even be underselling the interaction with Overseer, which I'm particularly jazzed for. If you play a turn 1 Steel Overseer and a turn 2 Voltaic Contstruct, you'll have a 3/5 blocker up for your opponent's turn two attack, assuming you have a pretty bad hand with these two cards and nothing else. That's not a particularly mind boggling effect on it's own, but we're talking about incidental synergy in a deck that already happens to run these cards.

• Plus it's a 1/3 Artifact Creature — Contruct that says "untap" in the text box. This is a combination with a 100% Vintage dominance track record.

• @brass-man Hey now, I may have still posted it anyway, I just refused to post leaks. I waited until we had art before I made the Squee, the Immortal thread if you don't believe me. :P

• If this card does become playable in shops for its other interactions I have to imagine running Time vault is just correct right?

Even without other support like tinker there will be times where you just go off with a good draw (5 mana openings is not rare for shops at all) and it does provide wins shops likely would not have pulled out otherwise. I don't suspect it's right to windmill it turn one if you have it since vault will absolutely eat any removal they have, but likely turn 2 if you have a sphere our or have baited counters already.

The biggest downside I see is that it waits until the EOT to untap. Does that mean you have to wait a full turn to activate Vault or can you do it during end step?

• @protoaddct You'll be able to activate Time Vault during your end step, after the ability resolves, so it doesn't slow you down a turn. Time Vault is definitely part of the value proposition for the card. Still, Voltaic Key gives you timing options that this card doesn't. (Voltaic Servant doesn't combo with Sensei's Divining Top, and you can't use two Voltaic Servant to play around a removal spell, for instance)

I wouldn't run this as a replacement for anything out of a stock Aggro Workshop list. I already had deck running Time Vault and 4 Voltaic Key before this was spoiled, and this is essentially a strict upgrade in that deck.

Also want to throw out how pleasantly my little buddy here interacts with the also new-and-sexy Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

• I think this guy seems interesting with steel overseer and hangarback walker.

• For what it's worth, I played 3 copies of this in sealed today and it preformed shockingly well. I understand that does not translate into vintage but just seeing some of the silly stuff you could enable with him made me think this card had even more potential in almost any deck that could run him.

• @protoaddct said in [DOM] Voltaic Servant:

For what it's worth, I played 3 copies of this in sealed today and it preformed shockingly well. I understand that does not translate into vintage but just seeing some of the silly stuff you could enable with him made me think this card had even more potential in almost any deck that could run him.

Wow, that's funny. I had him (and Traxos!!) in my sealed deck last night and I wished I had cut him (never drew the combo, which hurt his effectiveness obviously). He was a wall most of the night, but my deck didn't accomodate him very well. Not sure how I feel about the format yet, but fun pre-release. Some really cool cards!

• @joshuabrooks I had both him and Traxos in my prerelease deck. Let me tell you. He combo was game over every time.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.