Traxos is absolutely insane

• about the lands you have not found any problems playing only 16?

• @babau I have been running 16 lands in Ravager based shop aggro for over a decade and it has been great, and that was before we got Foundry Inspector.

He took it from uncomfortable but good to barely an issue.

I didn't change a thing to accommodate for Traxos, I have been playing this exact list except had 2 Hangarback 2 skullclamp. The day I saw the Traxos preview I cut those and proxied in 3 then 4 Traxos

Having 44 artifacts makes him so good...

• the choices of the deck are obliged I think we can only discuss about:
    mana vault
    3-4 traxos
    jitte
    wurmicol
    what other options have you evaluated?
    in what metagame do you usually play?

• @babau I have been playing workshop aggro since 2003 (back when 4x Juggernaut and 4x Su-Chi were staples). My list has literally been constantly evolving since then, amd changes every time a good card is released. Shops are my baby, and all I play haha

As far as options, I test everything. I own every playable artifact and when my deck stops performing as well as I would like I change it up, no limits on anything I test

Right now this is my favourite version of workshops I have ever played by far. I wish we had more lock pieces but everything is restricted outside of Tangle Wire and Sphere which I play 4 of

• a curiosity:
    what is the reason for the exclusion of these cards?
    Steel Overseer
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Chief of the Foundry
    compared to:
    mana vault
    jtte
    wurmicol
    4° taraxos: ok this is you personal preference for strong start.

• in particular metamorph in a deck that use tangle give you more options for lock and beat.

• other possibility is
    out
    tangle
    2 wurm
    1 jitte
    1 traxos
    in
    3-4 metamorph : give you to much good play
    4-5 steel and/or chief
    1-2 mishra
    the deck has many more answers.

• we should do it between the package:
    steel + worker + ballista + revoker
    and
    ballista + revoker + tarxos +?

• ravage not revoker sorry!

• I'm playing him with Null Rod. Thats his real edge. He works under it and clocks super fast.

• @babau said in Traxos is absolutely insane:

other possibility is
    out
    tangle
    2 wurm
    1 jitte
    1 traxos
    in
    3-4 metamorph : give you to much good play
    4-5 steel and/or chief
    1-2 mishra
    the deck has many more answers.

Metamorph is good but not overly great here, and if you cut Wurmcoil then all you are copying at best most games is Foundry Inspector or Tangle Wire. You can't copy Ballista or Traxos, and wouldn't want to copy a Ravager.

And steel Overseer is cute in legacy, but in Vintage he is garbage. He is way too slow and does nothing on his own. Foundry Chief is even worse. If you have 3 creatures he is still doing nothing relevant. Definitely not for Vintage

• @nedleeds said in Traxos is absolutely insane:

I'm playing him with Null Rod. Thats his real edge. He works under it and clocks super fast.

That is absolutely viable and monstrous. I love Null Rod builds, and with Foundry Inspector and Traxos it is better than it has ever been

• @yespuhyren said in Traxos is absolutely insane:

And steel Overseer is cute in legacy, but in Vintage he is garbage. He is way too slow and does nothing on his own.

Maybe this is beside the point of the thread, but that statement feels a little extreme. Steel Overseer is a staple of the most successful builds on Magic Online, and showed up as an 8-of in the finals of the last NA Vintage Champs. When the surface evidence says so clearly that this is one of the best cards in Vintage, a claim like "he is garbage" feels like it deserves more qualification.

• Better yet, let's see the proof in that pudding. I hope we see someone in this season of the VSL try out a Traxos shops deck. I want to see "go wide shops" with Ravager face off against "go tall shops" with Traxos. Traditionally, horizontal growth has trumped vertical growth, but perhaps a first turn 7/7 is enough to turn that tide.

• Traxos is stupid good. I run 3 (cut from 4) in a BLUE/artifact shell. It's not even shops, and he's still insane. 4 mana for a 7/7 trample, vigilance is only slightly worse than a 12/12 trample for 1. #powercreepisreal

• @brass-man garbage may have been harsh, but we have had tons of workshop cards come and go as they get replaced by other things. To me Steel Overseer feels like the Smokestack of creatures. It is slow, relies on other cards, and feels like it is only there because Lodestone was restricted and nothing better filed the slot. Options like Slash Panther were never cards we wanted to play, had nothing better, and were phased out asap

Time will tell if I am completely missing the point of it, but to me I can't see wanting to play it over Traxos or Tangle Wire. Theoretically I could cut 2x Wurmcoil and 1x Jitte for 3x Overseer. I will test it for fun to see if I am wrong, but Wurmcoil and Jitte have won me so many games it is hard to let them go

• @yespuhyren said in Traxos is absolutely insane:

@nedleeds said in Traxos is absolutely insane:

I'm playing him with Null Rod. Thats his real edge. He works under it and clocks super fast.

That is absolutely viable and monstrous. I love Null Rod builds, and with Foundry Inspector and Traxos it is better than it has ever been

Yeah, I definitely agree. I haven't been playing in a while but immediately started working on a Null Rod Shops list when I decided to pick up my cards again the other day. It seems really strong right now. The Karn planeswalker is another option in a list like that.

• I posted the following in the single card discussion but figured I'd repost it here since this is the more active traxos thread?

Just wanted to mention I played Shops with 4 Traxos at the TMD Open this past weekend to a 5-2 finish, missing out on T16 due to tiebreakers. Traxos was completely insane. I encourage you all to try it. My list was as follows:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Mishra's Workshop
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    4 Wasteland
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Foundry Inspector
    1 Lodestone Golem
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    4 Walking Ballista

Sideboard:

4 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Null Rod
    2 Precursor Golem
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Wurmcoil Engine

Traxos is:

1. tremendously pressuring in conjunction with Ravager, often threatening to one-shot the opponent through blockers
    2. effective source of reach on many stalled boards
    3. the lowest cmc maindeckable mirror breaker
    4. easy enough to untap without playing any weird cards like Voltaic Servant. Yes, when your hand gets small, you have to think about what happens if you topdeck a Traxos. It's a decision point you have to practice. Also Shops is already 70% historic cards...

You want to play four of them because it's better the earlier you play it. Besides the obvious reasons due to the untap clause, playing it early in conjuction with a lock piece (either before or after) often presents a tough fork for blue opponents with opening hands of average strength. Can they outrace Traxos if they counter or destroy the sphere? Can they set up under a sphere if they counter or kill Traxos?

I think people are worrying too much about the legendary clause. In certain archetypes in other formats, it is often correct to play 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben despite the fact that it's legendary. I think a similar remark holds here. Untap triggers are sometimes worth a card, so drawing multiples isn't even the end of the world...

• I really like this list
    3- pyrexian metamorph
    and 17 land or 3 traxos
    for me i perfect.

• @kenan another note on the legendary status, unlike Thalia, you don't plan on Traxos being in play very long. Over three turns, your opponent has either removed it, traded it off (usually at a loss), or they're dead. In any of those scenarios, having another Traxos in hand doesn't hurt you.

If you're considering 4 Traxos, I'd frame the question as "Do I want this many four drops that just attack?" rather than "Do I want this many of the same legend?"

WAF/WHF