The Extravagant Collections Thread

• Post your goodies to share with the masses.

• Nice brainstorms but they'd be better black bordered

• Administrators

I knew you had a ridiculous collection, but I don't think I've ever seen them all next to each other ... damn

• Wow, I didn't realize they printed FNM Foils in other languages. Now I've got other things to look for

• @feingersh Insert Pusheen Emoticon.

@Brass-Man I have some really nice stuff on the way too!

@darkr3x Yeah man, I was super stoked too as a lot of playables are still odd man out in Korean.

• Very impressive collection! And you're right, so many cards are either just not printed or a crazy rarity in Korean, which is a shame. I would love Korean Preordain or Grand Arbiter Augustin IV.

• @SamwiseKimchi Yeah I still have my fingers crossed for Preordain, not sure it will ever come.

• I meant to share this on the old TMD and never got around to it. I'm not sure how best to photograph it, being 100 cards and all, but here's my EDH deck.

I've been working on it for a while, starting out as a Rofellos deck, then switching to Omnath post-ban until I got the idea of just searching for Rofellos with Sisay :D. It's been through the bannings of Emrakul, Primeval Titan, Sundering Titan, Sylvan Primordial, and most recently Rofellos himself.

alt text

I've decided to make the deck as foil as possible, which is sometimes in contrast to my personal tastes (Sylvan Library and Loyal Retainers in particular, and to a lesser extent Sol Ring and Regrowth). Earliest possible foil printing on everything (though there are still a couple I've been lazy about updating from promos). I've been strict to these guidelines up until now, though the expedition Ancient Tomb is pretty darn tempting.

• a little out of date as some stuff is out getting signed, but here:vintage dredge
    serenities, claims, confluences, fatestitchers, all avon lands, and paradises are all out getting signed. the bloodghasts have since been altered.
    current best tokens:

• My work isn't finished, but I'm proud of the progress I've made.
    alt text

• Nice stuff dudes.

• I took pictures of the bulk of my collection. I'm waiting on a bunch of stuff to arrive at the moment (Dredge in German foil, some foil Maze of Iths, etc.), but I'll post my collection later.

• TMD Supporter

@Will solid progress! Those alpha/betas from a distance looks nice!

Dont own UL power? I am still really sad that I sold my Japanese power to Cal, even though I had to. Maybe when I get a promotion and my wedding is planned I can start buying in; I wouldnt even bother with UL power thkugh Id go straight to Beta

• TMD Supporter

@Soly that's what I'm doing, I haven't opened power in a very long time and I'm just starting with beta this time.

• TMD Supporter

Well I own a beta ruby now so it's a start :)

• @Soly Thanks! I'm going with all Beta, just haven't found a Jet, Emerald and Pearl to my liking yet. I sold my set of Unlimited Moxen and am shopping my Unlimited Ancestral because I just bought this...

alt text

• TMD Supporter

@Will It's the way to go. If my current employer would pay me what I actually SHOULD be getting paid, I'd have the funds for beta. Sadly, I don't have 20 Grand just laying around right meow.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• One of my favorite aspects about Magic: The Gathering is the collecting side of it. Whether it's sealed product, graded cards, artist proofs, misprints, foreign cards, promotional material, original art, pimping a specific deck, or hunting for signatures, there's usually something special for everyone.

Throughout the years, I've acquired a variety of really interesting items, though I find that I don't often share them enough. Let me start by sharing one of the more noteworthy cards from my collection.

When I play Vintage, I always play an Oath of Druids deck. Spells and creatures may come and go, but I'll always run a Brainstorm. It's one of the most important cards in the deck. While I greatly prefer Tony DiTerlizzi's Brainstorm illustration from Mercadian Masques, I'll always be found playing the version from Ice Age — a miscut version, to be more specific. It sometimes gets a bit of attention during a tournament game, but most people don't realize that there's actually an interesting story behind it. While the items in our collections are great, sometimes it's the stories behind the items that are even more fun. Threads like this are a great way to share those stories.

alt text

I played Magic from 1997 to 2001. I slowly came back to the game in early 2009, right around the time that my friend had a fairly severe fire occur in his house. Thankfully, he and his family were all safe. I came over some days later to help them clean out some damaged items from their house. That's when we found a mysterious shoebox. Yes, really.

Who hasn't fantasized about finding a handful of Alpha booster packs at a local garage sale? Don't lie. We've all had some sort of "finding lost treasure" daydream at some point. While my friend and I didn't exactly stumble onto a booster box of Arabian Nights, the contents were still pretty fun. The shoebox contained a few random things, one of which being a single pack of Ice Age. It was already opened, but the cards were still inside of the mostly-opened pack after nearly 15 years. We flipped through them, pausing to scratch our heads at the two miscut cards among the usual contents: Fear and Brainstorm. These cards had been trapped in his childhood bedroom closet for a good portion of his life. He had never played Magic before. The Ice Age pack was likely a gift that he was uninterested in. Can you imagine what else is out there?

At this point, I'd never seen a miscut card before; I'd also not yet begun playing Vintage. From my mostly casual experience in the '90s, I thought that Fear and Brainstorm were both pretty mediocre cards. Heck, I didn't even know that fetch lands existed whatsoever, so Brainstorm still seemed fairly bland to me. He knew that I was just getting back into playing and gave me the pack. I thought the miscut cards were fun, but that was about it. I couldn't have imagined that Brainstorm would quickly play a big role in my gaming experience. In the moment, I could've never understood what a ridiculous random find this card was.

I've been playing Vintage for the past 6 years. Every game I've played has featured this Brainstorm sleeved up as part of my "75." It was and continues to be a very special part of my return to Magic.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.