The Extravagant Collections Thread

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• One of my favorite aspects about Magic: The Gathering is the collecting side of it. Whether it's sealed product, graded cards, artist proofs, misprints, foreign cards, promotional material, original art, pimping a specific deck, or hunting for signatures, there's usually something special for everyone.

Throughout the years, I've acquired a variety of really interesting items, though I find that I don't often share them enough. Let me start by sharing one of the more noteworthy cards from my collection.

When I play Vintage, I always play an Oath of Druids deck. Spells and creatures may come and go, but I'll always run a Brainstorm. It's one of the most important cards in the deck. While I greatly prefer Tony DiTerlizzi's Brainstorm illustration from Mercadian Masques, I'll always be found playing the version from Ice Age — a miscut version, to be more specific. It sometimes gets a bit of attention during a tournament game, but most people don't realize that there's actually an interesting story behind it. While the items in our collections are great, sometimes it's the stories behind the items that are even more fun. Threads like this are a great way to share those stories.

alt text

I played Magic from 1997 to 2001. I slowly came back to the game in early 2009, right around the time that my friend had a fairly severe fire occur in his house. Thankfully, he and his family were all safe. I came over some days later to help them clean out some damaged items from their house. That's when we found a mysterious shoebox. Yes, really.

Who hasn't fantasized about finding a handful of Alpha booster packs at a local garage sale? Don't lie. We've all had some sort of "finding lost treasure" daydream at some point. While my friend and I didn't exactly stumble onto a booster box of Arabian Nights, the contents were still pretty fun. The shoebox contained a few random things, one of which being a single pack of Ice Age. It was already opened, but the cards were still inside of the mostly-opened pack after nearly 15 years. We flipped through them, pausing to scratch our heads at the two miscut cards among the usual contents: Fear and Brainstorm. These cards had been trapped in his childhood bedroom closet for a good portion of his life. He had never played Magic before. The Ice Age pack was likely a gift that he was uninterested in. Can you imagine what else is out there?

At this point, I'd never seen a miscut card before; I'd also not yet begun playing Vintage. From my mostly casual experience in the '90s, I thought that Fear and Brainstorm were both pretty mediocre cards. Heck, I didn't even know that fetch lands existed whatsoever, so Brainstorm still seemed fairly bland to me. He knew that I was just getting back into playing and gave me the pack. I thought the miscut cards were fun, but that was about it. I couldn't have imagined that Brainstorm would quickly play a big role in my gaming experience. In the moment, I could've never understood what a ridiculous random find this card was.

I've been playing Vintage for the past 6 years. Every game I've played has featured this Brainstorm sleeved up as part of my "75." It was and continues to be a very special part of my return to Magic.

• Awesome Greg!!! Great story too!

I don't own any true errors, the best I have is an off centered Disenchant, Gemstone Mine, and a crimped Force of Will.

alt text

alt text

• TMD Supporter

This post is deleted!

• Recent acquisition.

alt text

• This was the deck as of end of December. Now I have a lot more pieces finished that I haven't scanned yet. May update soon, but I have the Craterhoofs, Birchlore Rangers, and Reclamation Sages done with Green Sun Zeniths and Dryad Arbors as a work in progress.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• Those Natty-O's ... so sick.

• @Naixin:

That's a seriously beautiful deck. You've obviously put a ton of care and effort into the whole deck and it shows. Thank you for sharing it with us. The altered Bayou duo is especially cool, too. I like that the art and color palette still fits the overall theme of the original Bayou illustration.

I'm always curious about other people's stylistic preferences. What made you choose Chinese as the main language? Also, why did you choose an Italian Sylvan Library over a Chinese copy?

Here's my next addition to the thread:

alt text

It's an Oath of Druids artist proof, hand painted by Daren Bader. For those who don't know, each Magic illustrator gets the courtesy of receiving 50 blank-backed "artist proofs" for each card he or she illustrates.

Daren Bader had been sold out of this old classic for ages, but I was fortunate enough to find a blank copy on eBay several years back. I sent it off to Mr. Bader and asked him to put his all into the painting on the back. He did my favorite card some serious justice.

I'm hoping more users will continue to share pictures of their unique collections in this thread.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.