Shops post Lodestone Restriction

• Metalworker seems underplayed right now..

• TMD Supporter

@Aaron-Patten not for long hahaha

• @Aaron-Patten said:

Metalworker seems underplayed right now..

the problem with metalworker right now is that everyone wants to beat mentor and people play swords and/or lightning bolts. basing your deck on metalworker is not a good idea when everyone out there is prepared to kill a creature of the same size.

• TMD Supporter

@Kai That is a concern, but most mentor decks are maindecking only one swords to plowshares, some also adding one ancient grudge.

Adding Cavern of souls and goblin welder back into the metagame is a great way to dodge removal of artifacts. It also makes 4 cards in the mentor main deck completely dead, in mental misstep.

The whole strategy behind metalworker is to either have it removed, or activate it and be in such an advantageous game state after resolving all the artifacts (possibly even winning on turn 2 with staff of domination.) In the first case, they waste resources removing a 1/2 creature, in the second case, you just win the game.

the strategy for workshops has to move away from running 9 sphere effects and praying that your opponent can't get out from under them, the shop player has to proactively be trying to win the game rather than attempting to prohibit the enemy from executing their strategy.

• @Juggernaut-GO if you are giving Metal worker a try I think 4 Cavern and 3 greaves minimum. Soon they will know why they fear tapping out. Lightning Greaves, go with a Cavern on the pass back is a beating.

• @Kai There's also Spellskite now though I think just expecting your Metalworker to take up framing is probably fine too.

• I've been playing around a bit with Metalworker again.

Dropping wurmcoils feels like a good place to be with reality smashers hitting the battlefield frequently.

Most of my testing has been with something in between a metalworker/martello build. I'm not saying this is optimal, just a starting point.

4x Metalworker
    4x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1x Lodestone Golem
    1x Chalice of the Void
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    4x Tanglewire
    4x Sphere of Resistance
    2x Lightning Greaves
    1x Staff of Domination
    1x Staff of Nin
    1x Coercive Portal
    1x Trinishpere
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Duplicant
    1x Steel Hellkite
    3x Wurmcoil Engine
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Mana Crypt
    1x Mox Ruby
    1x Mox Pearl
    1x Mox Jet
    1x Mox Emerald
    1x Mox Sapphire
    1x Black Lotus
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Mishra's Workshop
    4x Wasteland
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Tolarian Academy

I'm not saying this is perfect. In particular, the phyrexian revoker suite in the Eldrazi decks feels exceedingly painful, and to be completely honest in might be worthwhile to trim some slots and add in two crucibles and a couple of ghost quarters. I've also moved away from Thorn mainboard, and I'm not entirely certain that is correct.

My board is a mess, holding my pet Ugin's Nexus, some thorns, tormod's crypts, an extra duplicant and a couple of metamorphs, and a few cages of the grafdiiger variety.

Honestly, the mainboard duplicant is likely also a holdover from previous iterations/oath heavy metagames. Griselbrand is still scary, though, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it.

• This could get very interesting as it looks like our Eldrazi overlords have now come to the Vintage Plane. If they really card some space in the format, I think we may have to look at Bridge and Mask version of shops because I think Shops just got out Aggrod. We'll see, this recent MTGO event I think is big news.

• If Eldrazi sees the same level of play on paper as it does on MODO (perhaps the NYSE this weekend will tell that tale..) there could be room for a more dedicated Stax list. Players will have to gear their boards more towards creature hate (dismember, roast, swords to plowshares, Murderous Cut) and go lighter on pure artifact hate.

• I agree, and I retract my out agro statement, Shops with strips and crucibles may be ahead of eldrazi, we'll see:) Def exciting news and if the eldrazi decks are for real they seem to really stick it to Blue:)

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.