[BBD] Mindblade Render

• alt text

Bob/Ophidian variants always seem worth at least paying some attention to. The stat line for the card is much more compelling to me than 2/1, and there are a number of other warrior subtype cards already that play well this with including some good one mana options like Narnam Renegade.

I have no doubt that some Golgari/jund strategies in legacy will find a spot for this since grim flayer is a warrior and interacts so well with this, I wonder if there is a bob strategy in vintage that would want this instead, since the lifeloss is limited to 1.

• Doesn't immediately impact the board (Get's raced by Outcome & Dredge, and triggers Oath), still get's ran over by Workshops, and gets bolted OR plowed for very little if necessary by Jeskai.

Hard Pass on this one.

• @13nova said in [BBD] Mindblade Render:

Doesn't immediately impact the board (Get's raced by Outcome & Dredge, and triggers Oath), still get's ran over by Workshops, and gets bolted OR plowed for very little if necessary by Jeskai.

You are wrong about it not impacting on the turn it is played. If you have a warrior out it turns it into an ophidian.

Bob does not impact the board the turn it hit either, and there are still decks that use it, so I'm not sure I agree with you that the bar is impossible to get over.

• @protoaddct Is there any Warrior that actually sees play in Vintage? Also, is this better than Glint-Sleeve Siphoner?

• @fsecco siphoner draws its first card two turns after you play it, this the turn after or potentially the turn of

• @protoaddct said in [BBD] Mindblade Render:

Bob does not impact the board the turn it hit either, and there are still decks that use it, so I'm not sure I agree with you that the bar is impossible to get over.

There's been a successful Dark Confidant deck in the last say... 5 years? Joe Brennen and a few others do well with them occasionally, but even Leovold BUG was a flash in the Pan. Dark Confidant is not playable in a format full of Combo decks, walking ballistas, Oath of Druids, Plowshares, and Bolts.

• @blindtherapy Oh you're right. I thought you could spend 2 Energy to draw right now. Having to connect is still bad IMO. Confidant seems way better. The only way I'd say this is better than Confidant is when you play your second one AND can connect with the first one (that way you'll draw the second one's card right now).

• This is a very powerful card, but I can't see what we do with it in Vintage. Wouldn't you want Bob any time you might reach for this? I know this card is faster in some cases, but it's also so much less reliable than a card that draws you something every upkeep.

WAF/WHF