[BBD] Arena Rector

• alt text
    3W Creature Human Cleric
    When Arena Rector dies, you may exile it. If you do, search your library for a planeswalker card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
    1/2

This is clearly not as game-ending as Academy Rector, but it also doesn't need a build-around deck.
    The feeling I have about him is that it's in the same position BKelly Oath decks are to Griselbrand/Emrakul ones: you're playing less powerful cards, but castable ones. With Academy Rector you're playing Omniscience and Bargain, which mostly only come down on the table with Rector himself. With this you're playing an assortment of already playable PWs, but maybe you can shove that Nicol Bolas or Old Karn or Ugin in there too.

• @fsecco Woah. Idk, this seems like it has potential to me. Rector into Ugin? Tezz? Feels pretty dangerous to me. Is there a PW control deck that just runs this for defense / combo? T2 Lily into T3 this? Idk, feels all potentially to me.

• @fsecco said in [BBD] Arena Rector:

table ones. With Academy Rector you're playing Omniscienc

I mean, good flash target right? A turn one bolas is pretty game ending. Flashing rector into Omni is strong but you could also be sitting on a hand with no action and then just have to wait to draw into a win, where as playing Nicol Bolas, planeswalker or Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh or Karn Liberated can just be a game over against some lists.

I will be trying to snag 4 of these for legacy no doubt, I think it has a ton of potential.

• @protoaddct Usually you Rector into Bargain if you don't have business, but yeah I get your point.

@Topical_Island I missed Tezz. This seems good and you can even play 4 Rector/1 Tezz/1 Vault/0 Key

• @fsecco said in [BBD] Arena Rector:

@protoaddct Usually you Rector into Bargain if you don't have business, but yeah I get your point.

@Topical_Island I missed Tezz. This seems good and you can even play 4 Rector/1 Tezz/1 Vault/0 Key

For sure, but playing devils advocate here, now the rector deck can have 8 rectors. 4 of them get you game ending singletons most of the time, but the other 4 can also do that in a different way. Plus if you Omniscience off an academy rector you can then just play any walker you had or draw for free anyway which can still be fine in some cases.

I can think of quite a few matches where an opening turn of land, mox, flash, rector, Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh, +1 exile 2 cards from hand is all but game over.

• @protoaddct yeah I was thinking about an 8 Rector list too, but it sounded too optimistic to build around a bunch of 4 mana cards that actually do nothing themselves. Also sometimes you'll need one Rector and will have the other, and you can't dilute your deck too much with 8 Rectors, Omni, Bargain, Bolas and Ugin.

Now, if Flash is ever unrestricted...

• also show and tell can't put planeswalkers into play, so that becomes a more awkward plan B. Eureka on the other hand puts literally everything into play if you want to plan more 4 mana cards...

• Bolas is fine and dandy, but pyroblast can blow him up.

Turn 1 Apex predator though!

• I have no idea what I want to do with this yet, but it's very very sexy.

• Karn Liberated is probably the safest play
    • Bolas is the high risk, high reward play
    • Ugin is the "this would be good if shops did not exist" play
    • Garruk Apex is the "Nice Flash Rector walker you got there, hate to see anything happen to it" play

• With 8 Rectors, Diabolic Intent becomes a bit more interesting.

• Does anyone else think the name is kind of dumb? A rector administers a school. I guess this is technically the school of hard knocks but still.

• @ribby I think they were going for the very obvious joke here.

ArenHER? I nearly ReckHER!

• @ribby The card names for this set, like the art, were clearly phoned in.

• @ribby my thoughts as well. Feels like they're making sure we know they're printing new cards that resemble reserved list cards. Imho.

The art is not great in this set. I might get a playset now, but definitely hoping for better art on the reprint later on. (FnM promo maybe)

• Why would you ever need a Planeswalker when you can put in Omniscience and then play Yugioh (by throwing your cards around like a mentally challenged ape).

"Gleemax, I choose you!".

• @13nova I think for power level, you're correct (though I may have worded it more nicely 😐 ). There are no planeswalkers as powerful as Yawgmoth's Bargain or Omniscience and it's very unlikely there ever will be.

I think if this card is going to be useful, it needs to capitalize on some way (any way) where Planeswalkers are better than Enchantments. What comes to mind for me is that Planeswalkers are generally more castable, stronger cards to already have in your deck - they require fewer hoops to jump through and fewer support cards to run. In my mind this pushes the card toward some use in a value-centric list, and makes hard to cast walkers like Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker less appealing (though not out of the question).

• @serracollector Im interested in the 8 Rector potential. 4 therapy+1 Flash +8 Rectors+Some number of big enchantments/walkers.

What else though? How do you fill out this deck to make 8 four drops, and numerous other high CMC cards work.

• 8 rector
    4 See Beyond
    1 Ugin
    1 Nicol Bolas
    1 w ever PW
    1 Omniscience
    1 Yawg Bargain
    1 Form of Dragon
    4 Cabal
    2 Diabolic Intent
    Restricted Cards
    Dual lands

See Beyond is the Key card just like in Oath. Tbh, you could prolly run 4 Oath with Gaeas Blessing to help out Diabolic Intent.

• game often rector-show- flash deck
    the problem is that if you think about the possible problems of the deck: bad draw, blue cards to use force, casting cost etc ... etc ... 3x show and tell + emrakul -griselbrand are superior. to 4x arena rector + planeswalker.

WAF/WHF