bleedth3sky last edited by bleedth3sky
Hey all 1 and 0 in the Vintage challenge vs shops. Game 1 t1 hollow one t2 bob with bazaar made for tons of CA ended the game by attacking with 4 VV 3 hollow ones and a tasigur. Game 2 he went double workshop into t1 birds into Energy flux backed up by a survival. (2-0)
Edit: Bob and Squee together solely won that game by letting me bazaar almost evry turn
match 2 game 2 top deck wonder with exactly lethal with me at 5 life facing down 2 thought-knot seer's. Good lord this deck is insane. (2-1)
Match 3 game 1 found nothing lost to hardcast blightsteel vs grixis. game 2 t0 leyline with just not enough pressure. had thalia and vengevine and hollow one but he found 4th land for dack. not sure if casting hollowone was correct but I needed cradle to tap for 3 for vengevine. (0-2)
Match UW Thalia Eldrazi?? Game one went quick with survival overwhelming them. game 2 t1 big thalia into 2 mimics into seer won that game. game 3 t1 bazaar double VV hollow one got the concession. (2-1)
Match 5 vs grixis win off of thorrn into thalia into goyf into chalice for 0. weird match indeed.
Game 3 keep bazaar and squee and a single hollow one and vv no other mana; he went t1 dack t2 jace I went t2 cast 2 hollow ones brought back 2 vengevines for the win. (2-0)
Match 6 Vs Paradoxical Oath won game 1 with a bunch of dudes and all their wincons in the grave. lost games 2 and 3 by just being a turn to slow even with priest.
Sitting at 4-2 in 11th unfortunately but love this deck most fun I've had in magic I think.
bleedth3sky last edited by
@serracollector if you go jund I'Ve been wanting to try a version with 3 ancient grudes main and 4x squee and run a whole bunch of looting. probably worse vs gy hate but could be super explosive and grudges might help vs outcome and shops if we can destroy all the moxes and such.
@bleedth3sky nice job! I’m glad you enjoyed it! This has really been one of the most fun deck building experiences for me, which is saying something. I’ve built and tuned a fair number of off-kilter decks.
kaluma last edited by kaluma
So having jammed a few leagues with Bant Salad here are some assorted thoughts:
- having a three color mana base is really really nice. makes fetching decisions easy and allows you to play multiple basics. Noble hierarch is also the perfect dork to play bc it is super on color, always makes mana (drs runs out of fetches a lot especially in matchups where you need him to make mana), and the pump ability allows you to attack through leovolds and mishras factories. very happy with this part of the deck.
- spell queller has been solid. being immune to thalia and thorn is great, and the ability is often just disruptive enough. flash and flying are also very relevant keywords on their own. it's in an interesting space tempo-wise, where you don't necessarily want to have to hold up mana unless you're ahead on board. on the other hand, compared to kambal, you do force the opponent to actually tap mana and so in that respect is tempo neutral. overall i think kambal is a stronger card, but queller has been cool!
- i like the draws that feel like a tempo deck. i.e. spit out ~4 power on turn 1 and try to disrupt just enough to get them dead. there is certainly the ability to grind or combo off as well, but getting ahead on board and holding up spell queller is pretty cool.
- containment priest from the board has been good too. dredge/oath are tough matchups and having more cards helps. also an option against tinker-bot, but it does involve holding up mana.
- last couple leagues i've been crushing UW and slightly negative against shops. might just be slightly unlucky as the shops plan is basically the same as before, but maybe i'll find room for tryogon or something. Blue decks continue to be strong matchups without decay, bob, chains, deathrite, etc. my sideboard has really just been 2 natures claim for manglehorn and 1 noble.
- one more idea to push this further towards bant tempo is judge's familiar. super on color, acts like 1 mana thalia, is cheap to trigger VV's. might not be worth it if combo isn't as prevalent.
Edit - judge's familiar mock up
I really like the idea of taking the deck in a G/x/y color direction rather than trying to dance around future lines with early game fetching. All too often I've found myself trying to guess at color #4 to play to future outs only to be disappointed with what I chose. I haven't been on MODO this month beyond goldfishing with a failed experiment, but I should hopefully return tomorrow to try some of these out. Keep on keeping on, and congrats to Kaluma on getting Survival published for yet another week.
I'm going to stream the Kaluma Anger-less build tomorrow starting around 5:30 PM EDT. The stream can be found here and the decklist I'll be playing can be found here. I'll probably play a Bant version Thursday but I wanted something a bit more familiar to get back into the swing of things. Hope to see everyone then!
@hierarchnoble just when you think you’re out... we pull you back in!
@wfain After practicing all the clicking it takes to play Food Chain Goblins on MODO it was an easy sell. Heck, Survival Salad is EASIER to play on MODO than paper!
@hierarchnoble I know right! I was thinking about that watching the SCG vintage event. Like, Survival would be abysmal to play in paper for that many rounds...
YakuzaXRock last edited by YakuzaXRock
Some more cards to mess around with:
Jace, vryn prodigy
Ancient grudge sb
I really don’t like the Bant version. It just doesn’t have enough for some reason.
kaluma last edited by kaluma
@wfain Just finished a 5-0 league to get a Bant list posted
I am really liking it. Mana base is real smooth and I feel like I have tools for every matchup. Obviously it's vintage, so some games just turn into blowouts no matter what, but the deck is starting to feel like a well oiled machine. I like containment priest and swords as versatile SB options.
-3 thalias, -judge's familiar, -2 spell queller, -chalice, -thorn, -1 survival.
+3 energy flux, +2 stony, +2 claim, +1 plow, +manglehorn
-goyf, -mandrils, -chalice, -1 squee, -3/4 noble, -1 spell queller
+2 claim, +plow, +manglehorn, +3 rav traps, +2 priest
Against Blue (no dack, no drs)
-manglehorn, -1/2 noble (trim Hollow against dack, squee against drs)
+2 natures claim, +plow maybe
+traps, +stony, +manglehorn (+plow +1/2 priest against mentor/tinker)
-3/4 noble, -goyf, -mandrills
Edit: adjusted SB notes a bit. Also just finished two more leagues, both at 4-1.
Serracollector last edited by
Why Manglehorn vs Dredge?
@serracollector to kill Hollow One. That is a very common plan they’ll use in sideboard games.
@kaluma I usually board out a Forest against non-Wasteland decks
thecravenone last edited by
I played this 75 yesterday. It was only a 3 round round-robin, but I went undefeated and had a ton of fun.
Just went 4-1 with the 4c including Spell Queller (which was awesome in a few places). Beat Mr. Kelly on Oath in 3 games, Shops in 2 not close games, Shops in 3 pretty close games, and split 6 games with the same player on RUG Pyromancer/Managorger. I had several mulligans to five in those 6 games and never did anything busted. It still took the opponent drawing nearly perfect to win (also had turn 0 Leyline 3/4 post-board games). This version feels very good to me. Mana is fine on account of having 2 of each dual land and 5 mana creatures. I think I may change the second Nature's Claim back to Abrupt Decay though.
Oestrus last edited by
Oh, great. You jerks are running Priest now.
@oestrus honestly I was beating dredge most of the time without it.