Survival Salad

• @kaluma one thing I’ve noticed if you don’t have Anger is it seems correct to board out most of all Hollow Ones against decks with Dack Fayden. Have you done this or not?
    Does anyone else cut 1 or more Rootwala against shops?

• @kaluma I think oath is just gonna be one of those match ups where we need something to go right which I think is fair and not much we can do. I think we hope PO takes a hit in restrictions so we can dedicate more sb space to decays or containment priests.

I think this deck attacks at many different angles and is incredibly resilient. I won a game vs Grixis Thieves where t1 they had 2 leylines and a cage and I won off of Thalia and bob beats with stony silence killing their mana.

I think we have a great chance against any deck that wants to play a "fair" game of vintage and it's oath and storm type decks where we struggle.

If red is only really good against oath for anger I think it's better to focus more on making every other match up better.

• @wfain I've only ever cut one hollow one as them taking a single hollow one usually doesn't matter. I've found if they waste a turn stealing a hollow one I just survival out a wonder or more vines or attack and force a block; we can always get more vines back or end the chain with rootwalla into tasigur.

Edit: for shops no I like having as much pitch spells for bazaar as we want lands in hand and as chump blockers to buy turns if they start aggressive.

• My plan against dack decks (blue fair decks really) is +2 decay, +thalia, +chains, -1 hollow, -manglehorn, -2 others depending on what I suspect their plan is. Trimming Mana guys against wrath's, squee drs or goyf against RiP etc. Hollow one is too explosive and good as a bazaar threat / survival chain ender to cut too many even if it feels bad to have one stolen.

My shops plan has been +3 Stony, +2 energy flux, +nature's claim, +1 decay, -thalia, -2 kambal, -thorn, -chalice, -bob, -1 survival. The sideboard cards are real good. Survival is awkward to cast and can be revokered. The big idiots plan is actually ok without sb cards sometimes.

• Mox diamond works nice with hollow one and some other cards, just saying...

• @kaluma yeah, I usually cut a Survival and a Rootwala vs Shops since the Spheres are very good against both cards.

• @kaluma @wfain Survival Salad (called dredgevine) Got played my ross Merriam on SCG VS's Series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjtNcW3Rcw

• @bleedth3sky good video, thanks for sharing!! Showcasing the strengths of this deck: explosiveness, being a rogue strategy that is hard to board against, and how good this deck is when you forget that bazaar is not a spell and should count as your land drop (game 2, turn 1 was quite busted in part bc Ross played bazaar and then another land and spirit guide to play Bob haha). That matchup is often close, but Czech needs to have early countermagic and then cards to grind with. Force into Bob or ancestral is good, esp with drs backup. But even if they do, they still need to be able to answer the initial salvo from our end.

• @bleedth3sky nice! I added a comment on scg directing people to our thread.

• He also missed lethal by chucking Wonder to Survival and turning all sideways in the air when he got tropical in play.

• The Hornet Queens have again chosen to have Survival Salad in their pile of decks for team VSL tonight!

• @wfain Indeed! Athena really enjoyed playing the deck, so I told her to come check out this thread, and see all the progress you all have made it on the list.

• @oestrus Cool! Thanks for advocating!

• After a couple medium leagues I managed to get another 5-0, this time testing out the red-less build but with two squee instead of any dark confidants. Squee is great against slower decks game 1 in particular and lets you bazaar with more abandon. He's not ideal against deathrites that are popping up everywhere, but that's the trade off. I also slotted in a second thalia over the second tarmogoyf, which for future leagues means i might swap in a containment priest for the SB thalia as a card against dredge and oath which are both a little dicey. At this point I feel like the deck is solid, just deciding what to hedge against. To note, haven't really missed anger at all yet and nature's claim in the board is a real card against UW & rest in peace.

also, shout out to Hornet Queens for repping in the VSL!! Tight games against a fairly poor matchup unfortunately.

• @kaluma Second Thalia? I’ve had 2 for quite a while. Are you playing Kambal in the main or something? And at the point you’re cutting Bob for Squee it is probably not unreasonable to cut black out altogether. Change the Tasigur back to a Tarmogoyf and Kambal to a third Thalia.I would also consider a second Wonder if you cut down to 3 colors

• @wfain Heres where I've landed for now:
    4 bazaar
    4 survival
    4 VV
    4 hollow one
    4 rootwalla

2 BoP
    1 Noble
    2 DRS
    2 spirit guide

1 wonder
    1 manglehorn
    1 tasigur
    1 tarmogoyf

2 thalia
    2 kambal
    2 squee
    1 thorn
    1 chalice

1 time walk
    1 ancestral

4 mox
    1 lotus
    6 fetches
    2 of each dual
    1 forest
    1 cradle

SB
    3 ravenous trap
    2 energy flux
    1 manglehorn
    2 nature's claim
    1 decay
    3 stony silence
    1 gilded drake
    1 chains of mephistopheles
    1 thalia (switching to containment priest)

tasigur has been solid. kambal i think is the best hate piece you can play. thalia is pretty good, but usually just a speed bump.

• different idea to try out: BANT survival
    offers more solid mana base, stack interaction. at the cost of deathrite as a threat, kambal as a hate piece, decay in the board.

4 bazaar
    4 survival
    4 VV
    4 hollow one
    4 rootwalla
    4 Noble
    3 spirit guide
    1 dryad arbor
    1 wonder
    1 manglehorn
    1 tarmogoyf
    2 thalia
    2 spell queller
    2 squee
    1 thorn
    1 chalice
    1 time walk
    1 ancestral
    4 mox
    1 lotus
    6 fetches
    2 trop
    3 savannah
    2 forest
    1 cradle
    SB
    3 ravenous trap
    2 energy flux
    1 manglehorn
    2 nature's claim
    3 stony silence
    2 containment priest
    1 mindbreak trap
    1 flex spot (plow? another energy flux? kataki? thalia? traps? faerie macabre? sylvan library?)

0_1528508654620_d354e400-4101-4be7-b1c9-1e83ccc7c537-image.png

• @kaluma @hierarchnoble

As kaluma posted above, we were talking on mtgo chat (who does that?) and Spell Queller came up as an interesting idea if we were looking at cutting colors. Kaluma had already been playing without Anger and told me that Bob had been cut as well, so I suggested maybe just cut black entirely. We were concerned about missing the disruption, but Spell Queller seems like a reasonable fit. My build differs slightly from the one above so I'll post it so we can talk about all the choices and hash something out.

0_1528498377718_NobleSurvival.JPG

• @wfain I actually went up to 3 Bob's as I found he was so good at helping rebuild. With bob and squee you are "drawing" 3 cards a turn and turns on bazaar very quick.

Abrupt decay has been such a good catch all vs the jeakai pyro deck since it's both RiP removal and Mentor/young peezy removal. And also the only games I've won vs oath have been hitting oath with decay.

Edit: I guess I love bob in every match up except oath and vs t1 storm decks.

• @bleedth3sky I agree, Bob has been very good for me too. But stabilizing the mana base is worth exploring as well.

WAF/WHF